NVIDIA Indicates GPU shortages to last for the bigger part of the year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 14, 2021.

1. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Considering Coinbase is about to be listed on NASDAQ, I wouldn't hold my breath on this getting better anywhere in the near future.

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Unless there is universal acceptance of BTC or any crypto currency always there is risk involved and therefore its open to manipulation and fluctuations and Coinbase NASDAQ listing won't change that, maybe I'm just wrong in that but let's see

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    The stock market is what it is, but having a major player listed on NYSE will certainly raise awareness and get even more people interested in speculating on crypto.

jura11 likes this.
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    But my question is why do you think this to be the case? I mine on pool - nicehash, if ETH vanished tomorrow it would just automatically switch to the next best paying coin (RVN) which isn't that far behind ETH anyway.

Fox2232 likes this.

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Rich people got bored during the pandemic. As soon as there's actual things to invest in again, people won't dump so much into a highly volatile "maybe".

There can't possibly be anyone out there that thinks this is the future of currency in any way, shape or form. It's pure speculation like tulip bulbs.

AsiJu and MonstroMart like this.
  6. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    on the red side they've got the best high-end card since 2013
    on the green side they've got 3070 that matches 2080ti for half the price,more and more games incorporating dlss

and yet I'm forced to sit this one out.just great.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    As I said let's see,I don't mine on my GPUs and I never will do that, I do tests thermals of VRAM in mining for people for which I building PC and I assume that they will use PC for mining rather than rendering and I have few friends who are how to say it politely pro miners and they literally invested crazy money in GPUs for mining and I do help them with repad or troubleshooting etc, off course I don't do that for free hahaha

Why I think is the case, not everyone is mining on NiceHash, many people use Mining pools like Ethermine or Flexpool etc and don't think so they will move to NiceHash as my friend told me, he will sell his GPUs as he already recouped some money from mining and plus difficulty once people move on other coins again your now good profit in that coin will be just not worth it to mine and then you have ASIC

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Also a good time to look into indie games, since they're usually a lot less demanding. I tend to prefer them anyway, since they have to focus on interesting ideas and enjoyable gameplay in order to stand out. Many AAA titles have amazing production quality, but that's all they have going for them.

I disagree. Intel is larger than many people here think they are, in the sense that they're not just a CPU company. They make many different products, and most of them don't receive the same treatment as their CPUs. Their SSDs are competitively priced for their performance and durability. Their NICs are reliable and affordable. Their efforts in microcontrollers, while failed, opened doors to new opportunities. Back when they made motherboards, they were surprisingly cheap (though, the quality sucked too).
    Their CPU division doesn't represent the whole company. Just because that division lacks innovation, progress, or marketing competence, that doesn't mean the GPU division will be the same. Intel knows people are doubtful about how good it'll be and they know they have a lot of catching up to do. They can't pull the same BS they do with their CPUs if they expect to succeed.

But let's for a moment say I'm very wrong: Intel will still be of help in this situation. So long as the GPUs aren't produced by TSMC, Intel will be taking some of the load off of GPUs that are produced by TSMC. That means more availability.

Keitosha likes this.
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I'm gonna start saving for rtx 4090.

10. Godeau

Godeau Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GP
    Now that big money is in, 'use cases' of each crypto project will determine their viability. Not every crypto wants to be like Bitcoin, where it's only feasible purpose right now is being a store-of-value(however you want to interpret that), or that it's mining network consumes more power than the whole of Argentina. There are many projects out there that wants to be unique and solve real world problems, while the others live side by side existing products while incorporating blockchain, all at the same time not using an ounce of gpu power.

And speaking of future currencies, take for example Electra Protocol, a cryptocurrency that aims to be a global payment leader, competing with the likes of Visa and Mastercard. They're already part of the Electronic Transactions Association(https://www.electran.org/), and are moving steadily up, development-wise. Also, Coinbase just went IPO, which is a big first step for crypto as a whole.

Moving forward, tulips or not, crypto is definitely here to stay.

Disclaimer: Not financial advice

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56012952
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/14/business/stock-market-today
    https://electrafoundation.medium.co...ctronic-transactions-association-314ff4e6931b

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Crypto and Covid can suck it.

Airbud and Undying like this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And when I consider big producers of prebuilt PCs drastically increasing their sales. I do think, they would try to use their influence to get more GPUs, so they can sell even more PCs.
    With this shortage, even shops selling DIY parts realized that they get more profit as they sell GPU within PC they build. As they could get away with higher price tag than in situation people can easily get just GPUs.

Many players realized they can make more money as long as end user can't buy GPU separately.

People buying product have option to not buy at bad price. But they too often bend or do not know they are paying bad price.
    And not buying badly priced products is only way out of this when demand for GPUs capable to mine crypto goes down even a bit.

We are literally within WoW looting system and people press wrong buttons.

13. aless83

aless83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte r9 280x
    I have no time to play lately, so I've been using Geforce Now for casual gaming... better than paying 1000eu for a GPU in the meantime

14. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Airbud and DannyD like this.
  15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    The 3090 hasn't been too bad for availability, so my thinking is the 4090 should be about the same, apart from the $2000 price tag no doubt.
    I could save couple months for a 3090 right now but don't really need one.:)

386SX likes this.

16. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
  17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Well yeah not surprising that a 2k card is available , on the other hand 3060ti goes for 1200 so 2k for a 3090 seems fine with yhe state of the market :/ but yeah as things go i will be most likely extending the service of my 1060 to get a 4060 or 70 ....i am not paying current prices i prefer to not game.

DannyD likes this.
  18. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    We can't buy cards.
    So we are saving money.
    And when the shortages finish,
    we will 'attack' the market,
    and create new shortages.

19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Good thing I have a back log of games to finish that run just fine on my 2080 Supers. I just barely finished Cyberpunk 2077 (corpo path) a few weeks ago. I still have Wolfenstein Youngblood (finished the campaign, just working through the remaining missions) , Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and Horizon Zero Dawn to work through.

20. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    @schmidtbag
    Are you really that naive? Do you know who is charge of Intel GPU division?
    Also don't forget all Intel fabs are at full capacity, taking load out of TSMC? lmao.
    Intel won't make any difference, at least not until covid is gone: that will take a couple of years, if not a decade.