Game Ready Driver WHQL 465.89 download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I don't think that's true either. Nvidia work on insider drivers too, I don't see any reason why that would've stopped. My bet is they're fully onboard with insider builds and keep up with it.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The thing that comes up here is Branching and Forks.

There is a heavily scrutinised fork that nvidia has for Insiders testing new features that requires the WDK of the Insider build to achieve the driver model level they are targetting, this is presently 470 and released under the WSL developer branch.

There is the GRD fork that is rapid development for game optimizations and fixes, this Fork then has its own subtree's (Main, Bugfix and Hotfix) that you will see from time to time depending on how it was released.

You can have Main xxx.70-0 get followed up by bugfix xxx.70-6, (both are completely WHQL but based on xxx.70) and then get Hotfix xxx.70-9 which has 3 more changes on top of xxx.70-6, but its in the hotfix branch because it doesn't have a normal WHQL signature (attestation signed instead)

At some point, the Insider fork get is rebased, introduced into its own family and fixes from the GRD's so far are merged into it, with testing to see if any newt issues arise.

Then..... theres GFE.

GFE is Release and Beta branches, nobody is testing to make sure it works on Insider builds until Microsoft announces that a specific build has been signed off as RTM, this build then sits and bakes for a bit for a few months for driver vendors to make any corrections and fixes, whilst Microsoft usually goes from 10.xxxxx.Y and by the time its pushed on users its usually either got YY or YYY bugfix versioning.

the WHQL testkit run against drivers to check for issues is also specific to the build of WDK the driver was produced with (and honestly, the testkit is lacking in a few scenario's and needs updating)

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Eh? they have four verisons of drivers? Fork branches? what ever you want to call it?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    More than 4, i didn't even include Studio, Vulkan Dev, new hardware dev, etc.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    seem like kinda stretching the dev to much but ok, Do i even know to know how many branchs/forks of windows 10 MS has there dev's working on? o_O