FTL (Faster Than Light)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by The Laughing Ma, Sep 23, 2012.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Saw this game being advertised on Steam at a cut price last weekend, had a look at the reviews and it got my attention.

Best way to describe it would be a space ship management sim where death means death. Okay not the greatest graphics ever but you know what, they work and I have sunk a shocking amount of time in to this game, oh and it's tough, really tough.

Oh and looking for the link to Steam I found it that the game was a kickstarter project as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/212680/

So any one else played this game?

Noisiv likes this.
  2. Bukkake

Bukkake Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 8GB
    yea i played it, i couldnt beat it without cheats though.

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Better to buy the game at GOG though, for a real pick up and play because it doesn't require Steam. =b

Beating the game ultimately requires skill and an amount of microing both the crews and the systems (weapons, doors, cloak, teleporter...the works).
    The 'easiest' way I've found to beat the boss is a having lot of ballistics (since it goes through the shields) and at least one defense drone for fending off the flurry of missiles (which shouldn't be too much of a problem if you target the missile turret first with your missiles or bombs).
    As for the rest, high evasion is gold, especially on the second part which the boss lets out a swarm of drones (though you can as well disable the drones by hitting its system with ballistics).
    The last part shouldn't be too hard if you have high evasion and at least 3 points of shield (still have to hit that missile turret hard first though).
    Do not rely on boarder bots, since they go out to random sections of a ship.
    If they happen to land on a section on a ship which has no access door to other sections, that's it; no one can destroy the bot, and you can't re-deploy it unless it's being destroyed.

But in the end, it's all about luck since it is a rouge-like game; if you happen to get a nasty map of a sector, you're bound to have a hard time. =/

Anyone knows what to do after getting the 'elusive' crystal crew?
    Do I need to search for the quest's continuation in a Rock space?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The game is getting an expansion pack. Price? $0 :D

http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=598

5. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Played the hell out of it and enjoyed it for the most part, except when I tried to beat the game on normal using low tier ships (Engi B, Stealth B, Rock A). Those ships are just too RNG prone to be enjoyable IMO.

Rest are pretty consistent though. Crystal B is just so broken but since it's super secret I guess that was intended.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Too many variables to be even possible.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Just get it done, OK
    Keep the entire mill :eek:

PS
    Too many variables is a slight problem with some of these mods as well. Like too many weapons.
    Manageable complexity was the reason for FTL success imho.

9. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Yeah FTL is a big favourite of mine I've sunk hundreds of hours into it, beat it on every difficulty unlocked all the ships unlocked all achievements etc, mostly play captain edition now but yeah if you love strategy it's awesome, graphics aren't anything special but the gameplay is really fun and addicting.

I thought about multiplayer as well would be really cool if they did it and bring a whole new element to the game.

Noisiv likes this.
  10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Playing Arsenal here. Capt is a bit too much overwhelming for me.

Just remember to use nvidia's Integer Scaling. FTL is one of few games that puts IS to really good use.

stereoman likes this.