AMD Announces Ryzen 5000 G-Series Desktop Processors with Radeon Graphic

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra likes this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Good thing it will only be available for pre-built systems at first. That means people will actually be able to get them for a reasonable price. By the time supply keeps up with demand, then they can sell these, where scalpers can't afford to buy out the whole stock.

3. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Shame they put it against 10th Gen Intel rather than 11th Gen that has a considerably better integrated graphics. Be interested to see who comes out on top.

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I Agree they should have compared to the 11th gen Intel but I really doubt it would have changed much intels igpu hasn't improved that much if gamers nexus recent video is to be believed.

On a side note it is a shame to not see the lowest end sku with the top end igpu available for smaller form factors.

5. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    on the topic of amd's integrated graphics, how are they these days?...mainly driver wise?

people have been saying there oke but they said that for a while and i dissagree'd strongly last time.

my first pc had a ati 9250 (way back) but it's drivers were a flaming heap, years later i upgraded my mom's pc with a intel i3 2100t and a passive ati 6570 that had daily driver crashes (general opinion on drivers back then was they were "good")

which is why when a few years later i had some spare money i upgraded her pc again to a intel i3 7100t with igp which driver wise has been great (she watches movies and plays facebook games and such so it was fine for a wile). now her pc is suprisingly slow now and then so i'm thinking of upgrading it yet again but intel switched sockets so amd is on the table as a new motherboard will be needed anyway....

just not sure if the integrated graphics will just be there and work or if she can look forward to long stretches of driver crashes for god knows what reason (i looked i updated drivers when new one's arrived i have no idea what caused the drivers to crash, some drivers made it better some worse but none fixed it, neither did a fresh windows just worked fine for a couple month's and then it gradually got worse)

(also with the parts listed "upgrade" might seem like a big word but i assure you the new parts were plenty faster then the old parts...but also a lot more efficient :p)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    In times of original ATi 9000 series, ATi was far ahead of nVidia in terms of new DX availability and image quality. Drivers were same on both sides. A lot of overrides and hacks available. (As game making was really wild west.)
    Who did not use Ray Adams Tray Tools was not having much fun with ATi. And soft-modding to FirePro and Quadro was common for many GPUs.
    On ATi's side I got even better IQ with mod. And with nV GPU mod, I had extra "free" performance.

If that 6570 was actually HD 6570, it was last generation of VLIW5 and that was problem free with drivers. My last VLIW5 was mobility HD5870 and it was last GPU I managed to mod (vBIOS) to get FirePro. That resulted in better IQ in DX9 games and occasional better performance in OpenGL. (Laptop is now running linux and sits meter from me. It has i7-720qm which performs quite well today as it is 4C/8T. But its power efficiency is bad. Those 5000G APUs are quite stronger on GPU side, and i7-720qm can't even compete in CPU side with modern and high clocked 4C/8T. Even 15W mobile APUs do better job today than old 50W GPU+45W CPU.)

Most common cause for driver crash ever was actually unstable GPU itself. And what changed with driver releases over time was their ability to fully load GPU. Which means more/less heat and likelyhood of bad GPU crashing. I used to do benchmarking (including measurement of GPU utilization during bench) with every new driver to see if things improved or got worse as difference was quite big at times.

Last APU I built was 2400G which has practically same GPU as those in 5000G series. Except it had Vega 11 and therefore 11 compute units, but clocked lower. It was defect free and performed reasonably well considering limited memory bandwidth.

But here is the thing. I generally never have issue I can't track back to myself as cause or to defective HW. And then when I know what went wrong, I fix it or RMA.

7. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    ah my main issue's with the 9250 were with NFS underground (was my first pc when i was...ehr...14 i think... my trouble shooting ability's were not that great :p my dad got me one of nvidia's worst gpu lines a 5600FX which never ran in to driver issue's and didn't require modding (but general opinion was it sucked...i had verry little to compare it to so i liked it :p for just working).

i did torture test the 6570 and cpu neither got" hot", which was to be expected 25w tdp and 60w tdp...should almost be able to cool that without thermal paste :p, that was the first thing i thought about as her system was mainly passive with 2 fans pulling through air at a low rpm but temps were always fine even mid summer. annoyed the crap out of me, in hindsight should have probably rma'd it, think it started it's crashing shenaningans under warrenty but i figured the drivers got updated and they were a bad one...which i guess wasn't the case the gpu just...wasn't right.

8. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    That game was riddled with bugs, I played it on a Pentium 4 with both an Nvidia FX 5200 and then later an ATi X800XL. On the 5200, it ran... just about and on the X800, I had to keep tweaking game settings (files) to get the textures to render properly. On both cards though, the main hurdle was to get the game to actually load without crashing.

anub1s18 likes this.
  9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    AMD has far superior drivers right now vs Intel . For performance jump on APUs we need DDR5 as they are bandwidth starved right now.

Valken and Fox2232 like this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Those were again very different times. Even 25/60W chips did regularly overheat because cooling technology was far from advanced. (I had 2 HIS IceQ GPUs back then. One of them failed on power stage. And both cooling solutions, while large, would be laughed at when compared to today's small ones.)
    When I had GeForce4 MX 4000, cooling modification enabled 50% OC. Then those times had problems with power delivery in form of Molex. And it was common that anything built by shop/3rd party could have had power delivery cables chaining/splitting.
    My 1st "refurbished" x86 PC came with 4 memory sticks. Only 2 were seated properly. So, upon 1st inspection, I doubled RAM just by properly seating them.

And I remember NFS:U quite clearly. We thought, we would not finish high school due to this game. But then it came and we finished it in 2 weeks. Was really good for time.
    Back in day, I did not like CDs any more than I do now. And we used no-cd crack which did not cause crashes.
    Game had still its issues, but they were quite worth it. Visually for time, it was at top. Mechanically, it was Arcadish version of Porsche 2000. And was last NFS where I could say: "Tuning makes car better and significantly affects gameplay style."
    I stopped playing NFS as Porsche/Underground1 had best settings for cars. And everything after was less and less customizable.

anub1s18 likes this.

11. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I still want to see an full OC'ed review on these APUs. Last time I remember the previous gen APU OC'ed the FCLK 1:1 way higher than Ryzen 3 CPUs. I wonder if these cores with a greater than 4000 MHZ FCLK would be Ryzen 3 killers?

I still did not buy a new system yet, and play old CPU bound games that I want the highest IPC + 1:1 memory as possible, even on 1 core for it.

But I agree they should have a plan for DDR5 for it to feed the onboard GPU.

12. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    lol exactly!!! cars were fine ish track was... there...atleast a rough sketch of the track, geometry was...not really where it was supposed to be but present, and then when i slotted in the FX5600 and installed it's drivers all the issue's were magically gone...at the time i think it was my or one of my first pc games, loved it untill i got a scratch on the disk and i had to pirate it cause i have it and payed for it but i could no longer install it >.> i jumped on steam and never looked at disks again :p

my 9250 system was a dell....i wanna say office pc that my parents got for me 2nd hand...mainly cause i kept getting virusus on there pc's :p cheat sites were not friendly...

was a quite custom thing, could only really do things to the ram / gpu / storage ended up tripling the ram, 256+512 pc133 cause holy crap that's expensive when the world has moved on to ddr-400 but you cant afford to replace all the bits and pc133 is all it'll take, and cram the fx5600 in there...and ...i think a samsung hard drive....not entirely sure if they were a thing back then though....eventually free'd it from it's custom case and "got it in" to a thermal take armor case :p 1 or 2 screws and 2 ty wraps may have been involved in mounting the custom mobo :p soooo janky.got binned a year or 2 later when i had saved up for my first build with a....pentium D and a nice 6800 XT....that thing screamed past my crappy sound dampening headphone's like it was nothing >.> god i hated it for it's noise, blast music or hear it howl in the background, frickin 40 or 30mm fan in a ....maybe 60mm quite rough heatsync.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021