8bit vs 10bit Displays

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Reddoguk, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Quite a bit usefull information from you two especially for someone wanting to get into hdr displays. This can all be very confusing. It would be even better if you dont argue. :p

DirtyMiners likes this.
  2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    One day we might get 27" & 32" OLED panels. I think the smallest available is 43" atm.

I think i'll just get a 32" G7 for now. I know i wasn't really looking for a 32" but with the curve people say it's not as big as a flat 32" which makes sense.

I should have enough room with this desk i ordered and have received but haven't put together yet. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/idasen-desk-black-dark-grey-s59281036/

A lot of complaints about the G7 32" though mainly to do with flickering tied to g-sync but it seems a firmware fix is out and it happens only when the g-sync falls below 60fps and i doubt very much a 3090 @1440p will drop below anywhere near 60fps.

I will say this. IT IS A F***ING Nightmare trying to get a monitor that everyone likes or hasn't had some issues with. Ghosting, IPS Glow, Backlight Bleed, Edgelight Bleed, Poor Blacks, Flickering, Scan Lines, Image Retention and that's only about half the buzz words associated with monitors.

I think Amazon is the best place to buy because they have good record of replacing monitors with issues like dead pixels and stuff. My options are very limited it seems. It's either the G7 or a RoG screen with similar specs. I've also been looking at 4K 75hz monitors which i think might be pretty good but their very rare atm.

DannyD likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Until we get mainstream oled monitors that ware not 1k$ this question is mute. We are stuck with va panels for a while longer.

Im in a market for a 34" ultrawide monitor but its an indeed nightmare to find a decent one especially if you want hdr. There is just no options at all. Was looking at the G5 34" but it has no hdr and 1000r curve is just a too much for the size.

My first choice is gigabyte g34wqc heard a good things about it reading the reviews has a peak brightness of 500nits so wanted to know will atleast make a difference in games compared to sdr.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I also have spotted some amazing looking Aorus Gigabyte monitors but there's hardly any reviews of these high refresh rate panels.

Gigabyte is the only manufacturer i see that gives a 3 year warranty on their monitors, all or most of the others just give 2 years.

So the 34" you show on top here is 500nits but is that for the full screen or just peak brightness in small areas?

Give me a FALD monitor with not 512 zones but one with 2048 zones which i think would be amazing.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    @Reddoguk that 500 nits brightness will not be 100% image brightness.

@Undying at your budget, just think of HDR like it doesn't exist.

Undying likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah you are right. Someone told me the same thing. :( Your G9 seems to be the one to get checking all the boxes but that price and resolution are just too much for me.

7. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I suggest G7 27" is really good with a proper price tag. I cannot find a reason to regret my purchase. There is no better monitor under 700$. G9 is disgusting. It should be smaller. I do not want to throw my laptop, printer and xbox out of my office just for a monitor. If only a smaller one was made.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Would probably go with 32" G5 than 27" G7 if i had to choose. I dont need 240hz 1440p im fine with 144hz but a bigger size. Anyway im insisting on ultrawide this time and 34" seems to be what im looking for. Might just get a newest G5 34" for those 165hz.

itpro likes this.
  9. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    It is cheaper than G7. If I had to buy a PC monitor now, I would really consider G5 34" it is the best. OR not for me. Freesync doesn't work over HDMI, so it is a double edge sword for me because I own an Xbox with a huge games' database. G7 27" or G5 34" are the winners anyway until 2022.

10. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Mmm OLED. When the TV is off or on with no picture you cannot tell until the red standby light has went out. :D

Inky blacks are so glorious aren't they. As black as a black inkjet cartridge when you expose the ink.

Which Plasma? GT60? VT60? or were you fortunate to own the Z60? I still have the VT50. Nothing beats that organic motion that feels like you're watching a giant flat screen CRT. :D

I own the Aorus KDF25 240Hz from 2019. No regrets but it's TN which everyone hates. I've measured 1000:1 contrast ratio on it. You'd be after their 10bit IPS panels.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/gigabyte-aorus-kd25f.18859328/

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Nothing so glorious but it was (is) still extremely good, the PZ80B.
    One of the first plasmas that didnt consume a stupid amount of power.

12. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    The newer models certainly suffered heat problems affecting the panel. After time it was showing hot spots affecting the colour.

13. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    The moment I toggle HDR on in windows settings, the colours immediately change, I have to put monitor in vibrant HDR mode for it to look ok, so it is affecting desktop and I assume any other sRGB apps.

Colors are accurate provided is proper color management, a lot of people buy a HDR display, then use windows and comment how vibrant everything is, the problem is that vibrancy isnt accurate, if I look at a leaf on a tree e.g. it isnt glowing bright fluorescent green, its a dull green aka what some call washed out.

Proper HDR content with proper color mapping it would be the same but the only time I have seen proper mapping is on my Xbox Series S.

14. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    This is the thing I find so amusing from all the way back to discussions on AVSforum. As you said, if it's not fluorescent they don't think it's good.

Look outside, the real world aint fluorescent. Even on a bright sunny day. Things aren't vibrant until night with places all lit up.

Even their phone screens aren't vibrant, so where do they get these false expectations that things has to be saturated.

Chrysalis likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    As Astyanax said.

I dont turn HDR on in Windows 10 unless I intend on using it.

17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    ASUS ROG Swift 32" PG329Q looks to be very popular but hard to find stock from somewhere normal.

Gigabyte Aorus 32" FI32Q 2560x1440 SS IPS also looks amazing but it's only HDR400 while the RoG is HDR600.

I think both of these are in 27" form too. I dropped my G7 interest because i think 1000R is too much of a curve for my liking. 1800R is fine but 1000R is over the top bent. :)

itpro likes this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    1000R is great for the G9 but G5/G7 thats too much curve i agree. Even for the G5 34".

Like someone said in the ultrawide club thread with that much curve screen actually looks smaller than it really is.

itpro likes this.
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Sweet!

I might go for it and pass my CRG9 on.
    Gsync in this display has been flawless despite never receiving NVidia certification.
    And it looks like Gsync is working with HDMI which doesnt support it (I have no doubt it isnt working but it looks great!). The CRG9 is pretty good.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Undying likes this.