Steam Best Selling Games for 2021 April 5th 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A new week, let's see what Steam has in store, these are the ten top selling titles on Steam for the week as reported by Valve: OUTRIDERS.It Takes Two.The Binding of Isaac: Repentance.Valheim.Valve ...

Steam Best Selling Games for 2021 April 5th 2021

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    We played Outriders demo. It was hilariously bad experience. I did facetank everything with assassin as he gets shield for close proximity kills and gets healed at same time.
    Basic itemization was already OP as items had stupidly high bonuses to active skills. Like double duration, 50% extra damage, -30% defense to enemies hit, ...
    They have no idea on bonus progression systems. (And character/items/story/... progression is transferred to full game.)

Passive skill trees for each class were as imaginative as stone.

Difficulty does not scale up with more people in group, so when one plays alone, he has to kill everything. When 3 people play, enemies do not even get more health.

Story: You survive natural event that should kill anyone involved and become "last hope of humanity". (One of 4 people, but only 3 player coop. So one class is always missing.)
    Yet, you encounter hundreds/thousands of enhanced humans who went through similar mutation, but ex machina made them hostile NPCs.
    And what does last hope has to do in game? Nothing big at start. Gather plants, find artifacts, fix radio by killing electrostatic boss.

DX11 game with so bad optimization that demo had 200fps in some places and 40fps in others. And from full game reviews, demo was actually running better.
    Cut scenes had animation set to like 15fps, so they stuttered even when rendered at 200fps.

Game has 15 world tiers (difficulty). At start, enemies are 2 levels under player. In demo, one gets to Tier 5, which makes enemies 2 levels above player. Still too easy.

60 Euro? Are they insane? It is no better than dozens of existing F2P mmo sci-fi shooters.

Airbud and Turanis like this.
  3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    No GTA V? (Death, taxes and...)

Time to release GTA VI.

4. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/mkaax7/outriders_review_buy_wait_till_it_works_never/

"Always online for single player, nah, I'll wait for bargain bin price

It kinda hurts too because I really love what I played in the demo."

[​IMG]

Airbud, MaCk0y and Fox2232 like this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I did not even go into laughing part. In 1st mission, cover system refused to work on 1st blockade, so I was like: "I'll try till it works or I die."
    I did not die. Been shot into face for like 40 seconds by like 8 enemies. Literally face as blood was splattering from it like crazy. After 40s when I gave up, I turned around and saw 3x5 meters blood lake... from my character :D
    Then 1st weapon you loot has explosive property on kill, so more bloodbaths. (Everyone gets it even while itemization is random. Extensive blood splattering is supposedly selling point.)

Because demo uses same online character storage, it checks names for duplicates. Friend managed to hit duplicate and had to choose different. Funny when demo players take names for those who play full game. Even if they want to play alone in Single Player. And names are not account wide. Each character has to have new name even within one account=person.

Turanis likes this.
  6. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^
    I dont give a heck about the "New" games of ,lets say,2019-2021+(except CP2077). :)
    I let others to say it:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/outriders-proves-once-again-that-online-only-singleplayer-sucks/

Even when servers are in tip-top shape, Outriders is a worse game for lacking an offline mode. Repeat after me: You. Can’t. Pause. Ever. I guess we let FromSoftware get away with it in Souls games for too long, because unpausable singleplayer games are popping up more these days. Valheim restricts pausing in singleplayer for some reason. Destiny 2 is historically anti-pausing, but at least most areas in that game are shared worlds that players can wander in and out of organically. Destiny areas are also big enough that you can simply ride your sparrow to the west for a few seconds and find a quiet spot to get up and pee.

Outriders’ levels are sectioned-off arenas: You’re either in a conflict or on a straight path to the next one. Co-op is completely optional, so I should be able to opt-out of random players joining my squad and opt-in to pausing the freaking game.

Unfortunately, there’s a good chance Outriders online requirements aren’t going anywhere. If the game was built from the ground up to constantly ping a server (which it seems like it was, judging by how completely the game shuts down at first issue), then yanking out that functionality might not be a trivial job.

Let Outriders’ disastrous launch day be a warning to studios working on singleplayer/multiplayer hybrid games: We still want to play your game offline, if we so please. It’ll be worth it, if only so that thousands of players have something to do when all the servers are on fire.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Still surprised that the Index seems to be selling so well.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Because it is good. There are now over 5000 games for VR on steam. Many Free.

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    But isn't the Index about 2x-3x the price of the competition, with only minor improvements? I think that may be the surprise. All the other PC VR headsets will work on steam too.

It does seem kind of surprising to keep seeing such a high dollar item in the best sellers. Or are they using total dollars sold as the metric rather than units moved? That would make more sense (for me to wrap my head around seeing it in the list).