Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by rflair, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Trixster

Trixster Member Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    Hmm, looks interesting and will have to give it a go. Always thought the levelling system needed a bit of a tweak, especially when at the higher level as it is insanely easy to get to lvl50 quickly - shame it was capped there :(
    Scary where the hours go lol, at 265 currently.

2. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Yeah, time flies. I love the characters in this game. I honestly could play the quests over and over and never be tired of the interactions.

En memoria de Jackie...

Takemura: V, what is keeping you?

V: Oye, Chingón, ahorita me voy, acabo de chingar a mi mamacita Judy y ahora estoy acabando con los hijos de la chingada madre con mi chingona dorada. ¡Ahí luego Goro!

Takemura: ¡¿Qué chingados, V?! Are you becoming Johnny Silverhand or Jackie Welles?

[​IMG]

DocStr4ngelove and DannyD like this.
  3. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Have they done something to HDR with v1.2 patch?
    Playing scRGB HDR, it looks good now. I remember that SDR looked better last year. Coming back to the game after 1.2 update, I now prefer HDR over SDR in this game. It's either, I am imagining things (possible due to 3 months+ time gap) or the dev has done something to HDR output.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    What kind of performance are you getting as a fellow subpar 2070 user?

Bought this game now.

5. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Provided your CPU is enough, you can max it all out with RT (minus GI) at 1080p with 55-60+ FPS range.

AsiJu likes this.
  6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There was a bad problem with HDR black levels being grey, colours lost their pop and dark colours didnt look good.

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Nothing subpar about a 2070, the game is subpar on so many levels it's become comical.

8. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    From a technical standpoint, it's not. Graphically it's amazing, if you have the hardware capable to handle it.

Btw, it's ok to express your opinion, but do you really have to crap on the game every time the occasion comes up, even when somebody's asking how's gonna run on their system?

Dragam1337 likes this.
  9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Game is awesome in every aspect,been grinding after patch 1.2!

Dragam1337 and AsiJu like this.
  10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I have a right to.

11. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    I think everybody got your point of view about the game. But do as you wish.

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes, you have a right to.
    But, why continue to dump on the game constantly?

Every post, someone is having fun with it, someone is asking a question about performance, about the new patch...

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    is it playable yet? or do we need more patchs?

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    It was a reference to millibyte's profile ;)

16. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    This is probably a fool's errand on my part but in trying to figure out why since the 1.2 update the game crashes on startup, I realized in my troubleshooting attempts and research on this subject that the Steam version of this game (the version I have) doesn't seem to have a registry entry? And yes I mean in the Windows Registry.

I found out, however, that the GoG version does have one, located in: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GOG.com\

But I've looked under HKey_Local_Machine, HKey_Users and HKey_Current_User for the Steam version and I cannot find anything. I do have a GOG.com entry there since I do have some games from GoG, but my Cyberpunk isn't one of them. I don't even know if it (the startup crashing issue) is even related to a registry error. But I'm under the impression that it might be, because the Crash Report of the game itself cannot even find the file that may be responsible for the crash to start with.

The crash report is a text file with a bunch of lines I'm simply not qualified to analyze fully. But one part of it got my attention where it says:

=====
    Error Reason: Unhandled exception
    Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
    Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at [ insert 10-digit number starting with 0x, it varies with each reports produced after each crashes ].
    File: <Unknown>
    Line: 0
    =====

So I'm thinking this:

1) The game crashes immediately as soon as I start it up because it's trying to access data that it cannot find?
    2) Or ... the data is there, but it doesn't know where to find it?
    3) And since the data is either not there, or it cannot be found, it doesn't know which file to point at as the culprit(s) of the crash, hence in the report saying " File: <Unknown> ".

I just find it odd that there seems to be no registry entries for the Steam version (or so it seems, I just cannot find it). If there's one please anyone reading this who also owns the Steam version, let me know!

I've just tried every troubleshooting methods I could find to resolve this. From making sure there's no mods, to making sure the PC isn't over-clocked (it's never-OC'ed anyway past default manufacturer specs and automatic boosts; I haven't over-clocked anything since around the late 2000s), to checking for Windows Updates to Drivers Updates (everything is up to date just fine), to Verifying game files (no files are ever missing to start with every time I check), to Reinstalling completely, to checking Anti-Virus and Firewall permissions / interactions, to Overlay stuff (Steam, Discord, MSI Afterburner) to try and run the Executable directly bypassing the Launcher to... I mean... name it, I've done it. And nothing works. One last rather curious thing to note though. I've noticed that in some cases, a few seconds after I would attempt to launch it only for the startup crash to follow, Steam itself crashes and closes on its own. It's not always happening though. But I'd say it happens with about a 5 out of 10 attempts frequency to launch the game, where Steam will also then crash and close a few seconds after.

And it all started (at least for me) with the 1.2 update. I did play the game back in December when at launch the game was 1.03, then with 1.05 later (which I've also played). I never had a startup crash issue at the time. It happened with the 1.2 update only. Now the thing is I'd normally be willing to just wait a full year without touching the game before I play it again. However, this is a different situation in that I am confronted by a technical issue that prevents me from even starting up a game I payed for. And regardless of what I think of the game's status itself, it shouldn't prevent me to have the right to play it, technically-speaking. So I must find what's going on because if this persists for months to come I may simply never be able to play it again regardless of what the Devs actually do to improve it, since I wouldn't be able to even start it up to begin with.

EDIT (Update): I thought for a moment that I had fixed the problem. What I did was to re-download all the Visual C++ packages I could find (for both the x86 and x64 packages, like Visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010 Redist packages and so on, there's a bunch of them). Then re-installing each one to see if I was missing any of them. It looked like I didn't have the 2005 packages, but all the others were already there (or I had a higher version installed which the installer would tell me). For the packages where my version was the same, I had two options; I.E. Repair, or Uninstall. So I went with Repair for each one of them (just in case).

After that, I checked to see if I could update my AMD Chipset Drivers, and I could. I rarely check for that one. I had version 2.03 I believe, and downloaded (and installed) version 2.14. Followed by a system restart (Chipset Driver installation obliged). So, once all that was done (but nothing else) I started up Steam, started up the game's Launcher, and from it, clicked Play and... the game actually started.

Miracle! I thought...

The thing is, I did play a stable session of about 3 hours, no problems. That's why I thought I had fixed the problem. I thought it may have been because of a missing Visual C++ package, or perhaps something about my (then old) AMD Chipset driver. The thing is, after that play session I had my fill and closed the game. But of course... I had the thought in my mind that I wouldn't know for sure if I had fixed the problem with 100% certainty until I knew I could simply re-start the game again without a problem.

So I closed Steam, re-started Steam. Then started the game's Launcher... clicked Play from there and... the startup crash came back.

I absolutely give up, at this point. I do not know what else I can do.

I'll wait for two things that I have no control on, which may help in the future: 1) the next NVIDIA drivers, and/or 2) the next major patch (or a smaller patch prior to that where perhaps in the change log they would specifically mention that they fixed a known startup crash under certain system configurations; if it's something they're even aware of to start with).

This game is an utter and complete mess.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    it was always playable, but to answer your question, yes it is.

18. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Did you also try deleting the game's generated cache (it is to be found in C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\cache) and the dx shader cache from the disk cleanup tool?

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Try setting pagefile size manually to match your RAM amount.

Check Windows Event Viewer for entries during crashes, if you can find more info there.

Disable hardware accelerated GPU scheduling if enabled.

20. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I'd leave pagefile alone. Windows 10 is smarter than us at managing pagefile.

Noisiv and alanm like this.