DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Interview with Levy and Hulshult:

(As much as I appreciate their work, I gotta say the music in TAG 2 is weak.
    I can't recall a single tune.

I'll post more thoughts about TAG 2 after I finish at least my 2nd run.
    As much as I wish it weren't so, this is perhaps the weakest part of Eternal overall, after all).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I must still say that apparently TAG 2 as well as the base game are now being review bombed because the Doom community got their panties in a twist due to changes in TAG 2 and update 5.

I agree with most of the criticism leveled to TAG 2 and especially update 5 so far but this is the worst way to show said criticism.
    It's not like TAG 2 somehow made the entire game bad overnight. And to be clear TAG 2 isn't bad, far from it, in my opinion either.

Just wanted to add that for someone being on the edge about the game and as a conversation opener, should you be so inclined.

3. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Out of all things i don't think that gating a "true ending" to the game behind a DLC was the right move.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    @skacikpl

I see your point but given the DLCs are direct story continuation to the base game, that was kinda expected.
    Besides if you only want to see how this story arc ends, you can easily find the ending in YT etc.

Okay, I finished my 2nd run and as was the case with the base campaign and TAG 1, enjoyed the second run more than first.

Now I'll attempt to address the main criticism towards TAG 2 (and update 5) for my part.
    (Based on my 1st run on UV and 2nd on Nightmare).

TAG 2 IS TOO EASY:
    I'll start by saying difficulty is subjective even here. Already on my first run I felt for me the most difficult spot was the second wave of the first Escalation encounter.
    On the other hand I almost aced the first arena fight in Earth Reclaimed and the second wave of the second Encounter that some others seem to name as their "nemesis".

In general yes, I find TAG 2 easier than TAG 1 or perhaps even the last two levels of base campaign.
    Then I started thinking why, because enemy variation and numbers are even greater than before, in places, and TAG 2 uses full enemy roster including all new enemies from TAG 1.
    I also thought about why that second wave of first Escalation encounter was so hard for me personally and the reason was I had much trouble finding a rhythm and not making mistakes there.

Conclusion:
    if you have mastered the combat loop, use all your tools including the Hellbreaker effectively and make few or no mistakes, TAG 2 will be smooth sailing.
    On the other hand if you keep f-ing up, you will be killed. To me this is a sign of well balanced difficulty.
    HELLBREAKER BREAKS THE GAME:
    Worth remembering it's not an always instakill weapon like the Crucible but instead kills fodder demons and stuns heavies and super heavies within the AoE while returning resources.
    Hellbreaker recharges with either pickups similar to Crucible - though only one pip at a time - or by destroying weak points and by glory killing.

This may sound like too much but amidst the hectic combat it's not as easy to achieve as it may sound. If anything it might just need a bit of fine tuning.
    Conclusion:
    No it doesn't, to have it consistently available means you need to work it into your playstyle and combat loop.
    If you start finding the game too easy with it, don't use it or increase the difficulty
    NEW ENEMIES ARE JUST RESKINS OF OLD ONES:
    Conclusion: visually maybe so, mechanically no. I find each to be a well thought out addition that find synergies with existing enemies.

Except the new hell trooper, that's a new design but I can't figure that one out, a weak fodder enemy that dies from a single hit from any weapon (even Flame Belch) yet cannot be glory killed or chainsawed.
    I can't help but feel the enemy is either unfinished or bugged. Even their AI seems dumb as they just run towards you without even firing often.
    They add nothing to the combat loop.

If the reasoning is Immora should have its own fodder variant then good, but given these are meant to be some Hell's elite guard you'd expect they'd put up more of a fight.
    DLC 2 IS TOO SHORT:
    Conclusion: personal preference. While shorter than TAG 1, I'd say you get a nice amount of content
    THE ENDING:
    Depends so much on what you were expecting that I won't make any conclusions here. While abrupt, I liked it, though I was expecting something to the vein it eventually was
    THE FINAL BOSS:
    Has been criticized for being too simple both mechanics and arenawise and just being a copy of the Marauder.

I for one like the 1v1 nature and the simple arena layout so you don't have to worry about getting snagged by geometry or platforming while fighting while avoiding hazards and other enemies.
    The fight is a bit of war of attrition but I think it works with the setting.

I was hoping for a more "toned down" boss fight after the Samur fight in TAG 1 and this was definitely along that vein.
    Mistakes are also punished pretty severely but again if you master the fight it becomes easy.
    UPDATE 5 NERFS AND CHANGES:
    This bit I agree the most with.

TAG 1 didn't need a nerf at this point except for The Holt slayer gate.
    The new "racecar" HUD can't be customized to show grenades.
    Marauder can now be faltered with a PB shot which I guess makes sense but it voids some more advanced combos where you lead with a PB shot before faltering with SSG or Ballista.
    (Falter can be followed up with Hellbreaker for an easy 1-cycle kill but as this can only be done in TAG 2, it's fine)

However there were good changes too like extending the Blood Maykr vulnerability window and fixing the long standing bugs of chainsaw no target and blood punch not triggering.

Ultimately a solid end to a great game that I think every shooter fan should at least try!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Duke Nil, Archvile82 and cerebus23 like this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    This is nice, continues with DLCs :)

IMG_20210327_222852.png

Archvile82 and Undying like this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Well, this is a bit embarrassing... :p

TAG2_UN_fail.jpg

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Details about upcoming changes and Hugo's take on TAG 2:

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Eh... Except Immora:

Rest is meh :p

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    What I think TAG 2 lacks mostly is those catchy combat tunes that get your blood pumping.

That and there's some mixing issue, the music is toned down a bit too much I think.

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I think this is a good sum-up of Eternal+DLCs:

Related I must say the more I play TAG 2 the more I like it.
    Meaning even more, I liked it to begin with.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    More about lore and perhaps hints of what's to come :)

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah...

I can't help but think this has something to do with MS acquiring Bethesda...

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Hey look....

Ugly, pointless skin packs that add nothing at all to the game.
    Sorry, but... so what.

If it was some kind of "paid to win" thing, then yeah, be worth getting upset over. But, if people buy skins, well...

15. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    *chuckle*
    Oh Bethesda....

I guess the promise is only worth as much as people are willing to believe in it as the other party seems to have absolutely no regard for it.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Returning to business as usual, Taras Nabad Master Level should be ready soon!

Given the base level ain't a walk in the park, can't wait to see the master lvl version.

Plus this is pretty much a re-reaction to TAG 2 is too easy so likely the most sadistic stuff id has done yet.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
  18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I get people really like Eternal, but... saying it "ruined all other shooters" is a a bit much. At least in my opinion.
    I still prefer DOOM 2016 over Eternal.

And even then, there are tons of shooters I prefer over 2016.

19. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Yeah that seems like gross overstatement given there's probably dozen if not more different ways to do a first person shooter.
    Eternal is fun and executes itself very well but i wouldn't exactly say that i need every shooter to force me to juggle 4 different mechanics on ~10 second rotation in order to perpetually not run out of ammo/armor/health.
    I already had a fill of that for a lifetime with Eternal.

cerebus23 likes this.
  20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah.
    While I like Eternal, I feel they leaned into the forced resource management a bit too hard. It's a game that wants you to have fun on it's terms.

cerebus23 likes this.