Resizeable BAR support issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Deleted member 282649, Nov 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Eray Topçu

Eray Topçu Guest

GPU:
    5700 XT
    Hello everyone,

I am currently on a 3600 + 5700 XT setup. I had MBR before, so I had to switch it to GPT via some partition tool and fix windows boot via recovery tools. After that, I could enable BAR and boot with no problem. GPU-Z shows it enabled, I see large memory in device manager but my memory still seems 256MB in advanced tab of GPU-Z. I also get no difference SAM enabled or disabled in games like Horizon 4 or RDR 2.

Do you have any idea why my memory still shows 256MB while it also says SAM enabled?

Update: It look right in GPU-Z with an older driver. RDR 2 shows half vram but there is a good increase in fps. However, Horizon 4 is messed up. It becomes unplayable, with 15 fps average.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    DanielRX likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You uh... what?

windows has a one command tool to do this in one go....

3. Eray Topçu

Eray Topçu Guest

GPU:
    5700 XT
    I tried that, it didn't do the trick since my ssd has 4 partitions.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ah, fair enough.

Eray Topçu likes this.

5. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Very disappointed to see they have adopted a whitelist approach.

As a gamer who doesnt really play AAA titles much I expect the obscure games I play will never see the feature available.

I have requested on the nvidia forum they add it as a on/off option adjustable in game profiles.

Also regarding MBR, I have advised people for several years now to use GPT as MBR is legacy, blocks new features etc.

BlindBison and GSDragoon like this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not gunna happen.

use nvidia inspector like normal power users.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  7. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    So there is an option then? Thats what the point of my question was, I dont care if I have to use inspector or nvidia cp.

--

I checked inspector nothing is there for REBAR.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  8. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes you can.

upload_2021-4-1_4-16-14.png

10. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Updated answer.

Astryanax try to be a bit more verbose in your replies. :)

The hammer type icon 2nd from the right has to be activated to make these unknown flags visible.

So yes this solves my problem, thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021

11. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    My mobo just got a update for the CPU, but does this work with the "old" RX 5500XT cards?
    Thank you

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Gigabyte actually locked the setting on zen+ cpus so it wont show up in the bios where asus, msi, asrock can be enabled on 2700x.

Screw you gigabyte.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  13. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Who buy Gigabutt anyway :p

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Great hardware but the software/firmware sucks and always late.

nizzen likes this.
  15. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Anybody know what "SR-IOV Support" is in the BIOS? For me its just beside 4G encoding and Resizeable Bar, but I have no idea what it is -- Google search seems to indicate if its supported it can be beneficial, but I'm not sure if its supported or not and am having trouble tracking down what it is exactly/whether I should turn it ON or OFF (I have an ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 w/ 2080 Super + 3900X).

It was OFF/disabled by default so ... I'm unsure what that would do. Thanks!

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    VM related far as I know, unsure if it has any benefit outside of that scenario.

EDIT: Wikipedia has this on it which has some tech on what it does but again it's for use with virtual machines.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-root_input/output_virtualization

EDIT: There's a whole lot of bios options after these updates now, Gigabyte which I'm on tends to throw a lot of the advanced options into a number of sub-menus so after the 1.0.8.0 AGESA I think there's just a ton of different options everywhere. :D

Some of it's for advanced functionality, some of it's VM related some of it might even require certain hardware it's a fair bit of searching for trying to figure out what everything is and the manual is quite out of date by this point. :p

Probably similar for other vendors too though, Gigabyte just solved it by sub-menus for everything and even for some of the more common settings and the naming conventions can also be a bit messy as a small rant as well. Hah.
    DOCP or XMP both basically meaning the same thing for a example.
    (Direct Over Clock Profile / eXtreme Memory Profile.)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  17. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ew-of-single-root-i-o-virtualization--sr-iov-

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Using one Graphics device shared amongst multiple Virtual machines.

Nvidia doesn't support it.

BlindBison likes this.
  19. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Is this the same?

NVIDIA has enabled GPU passthrough beta support for a Windows virtual machine on GeForce GPUs. What does this mean?
    With virtualization enabled, GeForce customers on a Linux host PC can now enable GeForce GPU passthrough on a virtual Windows guest OS. There are a few GeForce use cases where this functionality is beneficial such as:
    • GeForce customers wanting to run a Linux host and be able to launch a Windows virtual machine (VM) to play games
    • Game developers wanting to test code in both Windows and Linux on one machine
    What class of virtualization is supported on GeForce GPUs?
    GeForce GPU passthrough supports 1 virtual machine. SR-IOV is not supported on GeForce. If you want to enable multiple virtual machines to have direct access to a single GPU or want the GPU to be able to assign virtual functions to multiple virtual machines, you will need to use NVIDIA Tesla, Quadro, or RTX enterprise GPUs.

Which driver is GeForce virtualization (beta) supported on?
    GeForce virtualization (beta) is supported on R465 or higher drivers.

Which GeForce GPUs and Windows OSes support virtualization?
    The feature is enabled on all GeForce/TITAN GPUs supported in the R465 driver (Kepler and later for Desktop; Maxwell and later for Notebook) for Windows 10.

Do you need to have more than one GPU installed or can you leverage the same GPU being used by the host OS for virtualization?
    One GPU is required for the Linux host OS and one GPU is required for the Windows virtual machine.

https://www.techpowerup.com/280454/...rtual-machines-on-consumer-grade-geforce-gpus

1. april tho :p

BlindBison likes this.
  20. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks! I’ll just leave it off in the bios then