Witcher 3 Re-release with Ray Tracing for PC to be released in H2 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Not being done by CD Projekt? This should be interesting.

3. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Saber Interactive did the work on porting The Witcher 3 to the Nintendo Switch so they are not entirely clueless with the code.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Upon hearing this news Todd Howard had an idea.

AsiJu, PrMinisterGR and Stormyandcold like this.

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Gona be 20fps max on my RX6800 :D

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I'll stick with the actual version, thanks.

GSDragoon likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I dont see the point of this. They should be focusing on fixing the cyberpunk.

schmidtbag likes this.
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Separate team since it's outsourced, will be interesting to see what Saber can do though from what I've heard the Switch port from before fared pretty well. :)
    What can ray tracing do anyway, there's shadows which I would assume is the most likely to get enhanced, reflections would be nice not sure how the large area and sea would work but cut-off and LOD would likely solve performance concerns at least and with some tweaks also minimize the visible "seam" where it switches over to SSR again.

GI would probably be what could really elevate the lighting and visuals but if it's also going to be featured on the PS5 and X Series I don't know how much they can do with this effect unless the PC port gets a few extras or additional quality modes.
    Free update as well, not sure I would replay it with just fancier visuals but it's a nice gesture. :)

EDIT: Video comparison or screenshots would be nice but maybe closer to launch they'll showcase the new additions to the game and what this will add.
    (Ray tracing, HDR and I expect the consoles to get 1080p native and 2160p display mode support of some sort maybe scaling it up rather than native though.)

EDIT: Gameplay changes will probably always be a bit divisive for the community but a more thorough code cleanup and bug fix effort would have been nice really work over the game while they're adding these additional features not that I expect too much.

Also not sure if this is a touched up and added to version of RED Engine 3 or the RED Engine 4 ported in but that's perhaps only something CD Project could do themselves with the amount of work and assets and code update being required.

Speaking of that texture improvements would be nice too if that could be a thing surely the source assets are higher quality but again not expecting too much and especially not geometry even if the character and monster models, architecture and flora could perhaps be touched up somewhat.

EDIT: Well all of those changes and it'd also be unlikely to work out as a free update.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Undying likes this.
  9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    as i remember this will be a free update, at least for consoles, but i remember was free for all if you had the game.

10. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    As the article notes, it's Saber Interactive (who made the Nintendo Switch port) that works on the Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition, so while I'm sure it takes some resources to coordinate the release it's not the CDPR developers that work in this.

Dragam1337, Silva and Undying like this.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    different teams

Undying likes this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Been promised long time before release of CP2077
    I am more interested in them keeping promise on price. Should be free for anyone who has some of higher editions of game.

Undying likes this.
  13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'm holding my second play through for this. Not interested in RT, but want to see what other enhancements they can make to the game.

14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Maybe I'm easy to impress but I find the standard game to be one the best looking games ever made. It will take some effort to significantly improve upon it.

15. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    I have never played this game, so these are good news for me, I always heard only good things about it, I hope they do a good job at "enhancing" it

16. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Clearly RT is not too hard to add or devs are getting really good at it because you don't normally see old games getting next gen features added like this.

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    LMAO, more like "ideas" as in plural.

It isn't. It's actually a lot less time consuming than manually placing light sources and effects to make it look right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyway, knowledge of this rerelease was already leaked when CDPR got hacked. It'll be interesting to see how much effort Sabre put in.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    that would be quite decent for 1440p
    you can always switch to 1985. fake lightning and 1080p res.

BEWARE: its hard to go back, once you get used to proper phy rendering

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i not gona have pc that can do that, but I know have the game on pc and ps4 soo free upgrades all around

20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    They are focusing on CP77--that's why Saber is doing it...;)

Undying likes this.