Intel Core i9-11900K processor review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2021.

1. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Thanks for the review. I checked the stores in my area and the 11900K is in stock and is $120+ bucks more than 5800X. Then 10900K is $100+ less than 5800X. IF you want Intel I suggest go for the deals on 10900K,all the CPU's I mentioned are awesome for PC gamers with the best GPU's. Do not have the best GPU, get a cheaper CPU,no need to waste cash on the new shinny suff.

Valken and cucaulay malkin like this.
  2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review Hilbert. Not impressed at all , that tdp omg ! It uses more power and produce more heat than my 18 core 9980xe :eek: . Very high end custom water cooling recommend it for overclocking as there is no way any air cooler will tame this nuclear reactor. I got mix feelings with this new release and see it as a step back instead of forward. Even extreme overclockers on liquid nitrogen had a really , really hard time cooling and overclocking this furnace :D .

Next cpu please ...

toyo, Airbud, Undying and 2 others like this.
  3. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Strange...I see it in a number of stores actually cheaper than 5800X - as it should be since Intel seems to do a lot better with supply than AMD - first launch that is not a paper launch for a long time...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn - Typo p33, under Perf and Tweaking section: At 5300 Watts / v1.53, we're passing 450 Watts.

5. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    I am surprised there is still stock after my favorite store's being open for more than 4 Hrs . When AMD released 5800X at same store's the line ups were 40 people deep.

$200 buck difference from 10/20 10900KF to 8/16 11900K . I know which one I would get ,anyway just showing actual prices from the go to computer stores where I live in Canada.

Just checked other stores in Canada the difference range is higher in some stores

CC Canada.jpg

6. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm not sure why some people say it is terrible on here. It's not fantastic, but it's not terrible either. Considering what they have to work with a good effort. Having said that I think it is overpriced at the moment.

I would like to see a 10700 review and how that overclocks, that seems better value for money. Having said that I have bought a 5800x and after hell on earth trying to get it installed is running very well. Typical AMD, never make it easy.

7. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    Because its popular to hate Intel right now.

8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    It'll be fine just give it 300w and a small OC and bingo you nearly matched the 5800X............

9. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    Embarrassing for Intel really, tho having intel as nr.2 in performance for a decade would be great for the market.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Perf is OK given that its slightly cheaper than AMDs parts, just that power draw, heat will be the deal breaker.

11. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    They are very good at stock, but once you apply oc is horrible...Hottest Lake-S

12. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Yeah, right because having AMD number one for a decade will do a lot of good for the market :rolleyes: - it's not embarrassing at all it's part of the business and actually a kick in the ass is a step forward for them - they will go back to the drawing board and come back with a very good CPU like AMD did eventually or even better for us consumers they both will have great cpu's that goes neck to neck in performance for every category of tasks and also competitive prices and stocks.

It's not a bad cpu, it's not the king of the hill either but it is physically present in stores from day one and it runs O.K. at stock frequencies and boost on what seems to be a solid platform.

13. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    amd in the leader's seat is great,unless you have to pay 450eur for 5800x with your own money.
    I don't know where people bashing 9900k are all suddenly getting this money from :D:D
    10850k/10900f
    that is all

14. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Performance wise, no it's not bad. But with that power draw and heat it's not good either.

I'm not convinced Alder Lake is going to be the great coming people think it is. How many games are being coded to support non-heterogeneous cores now? Pretty much none. What if windows moves a critical thread to one of the weak cores? I think it's just gonna cause headaches in lots of applications performance wise.
    Marginally better than this Rocket lake is my prediction, with possibly some games running way worse!

15. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    This isn't a terrible CPU. It isn't even a bad CPU. It's an ok CPU. Had it come out alongside Vermeer, given AMD's supply issues it could have been forgiven its shortcomings and would have been an interesting alternative. The problem is, it's come too late. If you launch four months after your competitor, you'd better have something that forces them to respond. This doesn't. AMD will still sell through all their Zen 3s without even needing to slash the MSRP, as they continue their run up to Zen 4 or whatever their DDR5 platform is going to be called. The fact that RL will be replaced by an entirely new architecture in just six months is yet another reason to give this one a miss.

Like I said in my previous post - if you're desperate, and the 5900/5950 are out of stock, this is your CPU. Otherwise, enjoy 2021 and get ready to spend big in 2022.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Isn't alder lake a replacement for tiger lake and presumably some other architecture utilizing just golden cove would launch afterward?

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    The thing is it's getting beat by the 5800x in many apps and games and the 5800x is starting to be available. Best Buy Canada had the 5800x in stock a couple of days last week for less than the 11900k is currently sold at launch in Canada.

mackintosh likes this.
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Ya 5800x has been in stock pretty consistently in the US as well. Amazon for a few weeks, although as of today I think it's on backorder - but newegg is still in stock and it's available in multiple bestbuys/microcenter on the east coast.

Still can't find me a 5900x though :(

jura11 likes this.
  19. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I could probably squeeze similar perf/power out of my 5960X...

20. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Fair enough, that's a good point. I assumed 5800X was still in very short supply on your side of the pond.