Intel Core i9-11900K processor review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review Intel's new Desktop flagship processor, the 8-core Core i9-11900K. The 11th generation Intel Core desktop processors previously known as RKL aka Rocket Lake-S has been released in an effort...

Intel Core i9-11900K processor review

BlindBison and chispy like this.
  2. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    Rocket Lake is trying to make something good out of a bad situation. They got back what they wanted gaming from what I can see from various reviews. The fact they got this much out of 14nm is impressive. I'm surprised how well it competes with MT with less cores/threads too.

I think the lower parts are more interesting right now especially with the GPU shortage situation. I'd rather have Rocket Lake with its newer onboard GPU if I had to wait for a new GPU.

Looking more forward to Alder Lake

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Not too great but on the other hand I think that peoples expectations of Intel are pretty low nowadays when AMD has gained so much. Unfortunately AMD has done several mistakes too with latest Zen launch and avoiding them might have would probably have made even less people look at Intel for gaming. The real battle vs AMD will be with Alder Lake no doubt, this release was just to keep everything afloat.

Kosmoz likes this.
  4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    We missing min.fps in graphs where new Intel really shine, good job Intel.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Indeed very good job intel. You lost two cores and you lost to amd once again. Thats a progress right there. Next please.

toyo, Aura89, DesGaizu and 6 others like this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If you ignore power consumption, I'd consider this pretty good - it's only slightly slower than the 10900K despite lacking a pair of cores. But yikes... that power consumption is atrocious. I'm sure it's a similar situation to the Ryzen 3000 series, where roughly 15W are due to PCIe 4.0, but that only explains the higher idle wattage. Under load though, that's a whole other situation. It's pretty bad when CPUs with more than double the amount of cores are the only ones more power hungry.

Kaarme likes this.
  7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, I agree. It's quite impressive from the old process technology and it's good Intel entered the PCIe 4.0 arena now, but the power consumption has got out of hand.

9. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    Why are most reviews ignoring the new iGPU? I mean, we are in a GPU shortage right now you think that would be important.

Tom Sunday likes this.
  10. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    XDDDDDD

Pretty good in terms of what? Neither the 10600K nor the 10900K can beat their predecessors in gaming. And this was the ONLY reason why Rocket Lake was released: to get the throne back from Zen 3. Intel failed big time as it wasn't only able to beat their predecessors but also consume 45% more power when we speak of the 11600K:

This series is complete rubbish.

Funny guy you are.

toyo, Richard Nutman, Abc666 and 2 others like this.

11. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    It's a core i9 i mean ...

Richard Nutman likes this.
  12. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well, it's pretty much what we've been expecting. If you're desperate to upgrade this cycle, this is as good as it's going to get. By the time either the 5900X or the 5950X are available in volume and at sane prices, it's going to be all over for both platforms.

13. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    By the time 5900x or 5950x are available and with sane prices Alder Lake will be out.

14. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Truly a waste of sand.

Loophole35 likes this.
  15. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Interesting set of data.

On one hand graphs shows IPC has started to accelerate with newer cpu gens now from both AMD and intel, this is good.

However Intel's power draw is getting crazy, vs my 9900k which is also 14nm, the 11900k with same core count uses 50% more power, thats madness.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Ugh not this nonsense again...
    Why is everyone here so obsessive about a few FPS at 720p as though that defines a product? Just a couple years ago when AMD was trailing by a larger margin in gaming, you were the kind of person dismissing that. So was I, because we both know well that there's more to a CPU than average FPS in a game. The difference here is I don't suddenly change my mind about it just because of who is barely ahead in games.
    I don't deny that these 11th gens are overall failures due to the power consumption (which I already pointed out myself). I think I made that pretty clear in my previous post. These aren't the Zen3 killers Intel was trying to make but at least it's not yet another pre-overclocked Skylake. That would have been a total failure.

17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    the most interesting part of this review is that intel was unable to keep the memeory latency down on a monolithic die vs amd's chiplets, I have many many questions.

18. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    I don't think the memory read chart is accurate. The Ryzen 5000 series scores are about 15K too high based on your review and my own sample. https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_9_5900x_and_5950x_review,21.html

19. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
  20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ruiner13 likes this.