ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces MagLev ROG Strix XF 120 Cooling Fan

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Huggi

Huggi Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX Vega 64
    Will be interesting to see how this compares against the Corsair ML 120 fans. Both are MagLev fans but the Corsair fan seems to have higher max airflow and pressure due to its higher max RPM of 2400.
    Given the ROG Strix branding though, I'm not expecting these to be good value. The Corsair ML120 (non-Pro) can be bought in a two pack for relatively cheap.

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I can't see how 120mm 1800 RPM fan can be only 22.5 dB(A). Perhaps they've measured it from 10m (30ft) away?

4. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    hopefully these will have a better motor then the corsairs (have 6 regular ML's, 1's disconnected cause it makes a hellish racket) and wile full blast they can provide decent pressure, half or less results in a kinda noisy fan with not that much airflow (though i have them mounted on radiators which does not help the noise/airflow)

either that or they put it inside a damn near sealed case and then measured it >.>

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    All of the ML series fans are out of stock atm. I'm trying to find 2 140mm for my new build. These fans 140mm Corsair ML series ML140 Pro RGBs are hard to find in the UK stores. All are pre-order only.

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Knowing how Asus quality control is, I'll stay the f away.

jbscotchman likes this.
  7. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    the decibels look dubious considering I'm running QL120 fans, the quietest or at least the less annoying fans currently and they are rated 26db
    but I wish it was true, it would be the end of my all rgb build if it was as I "have" to use them in pull for both of my rads because rgb...which is awful for airflow
    in push the radiator straightens the air creating a straight air jet at the exhaust side which is better for airflow and to cool your other components in the case
    in pull the air exits the fan in a 45°ish crown shape with nearly zero airflow at the center, useless for inside case air circulation

I own noctuas,bequiet,all corsair types and a few random brands collected over the years
    I'm willing to try asus rog "for science" ;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  8. Huggi

Huggi Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX Vega 64
    I have six as well on my two EK PE360 rads. I find that they work quite well and have had no issues with them. I even got two ML140 fans for my NAS build as front intake fans.

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Is everyone using magnets for their fans because they can't make a proper bearing like Arctic or Noctua?

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Maglev is superior to bearings, and its really difficult to do ball bearing wrong, the issue tends to be the longetivity of the lubricant and contaminants entering the bearing chamber.

11. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I had 3 arctic fans (PWM) that developed bearing squeal. Two 120's and one 140.
    Since they were cheap, no biggie. But I wont buy them again.
    The 120's were on a AIO that Also had a loud pump and the VRM fan that was built in got loud over time as well untill it just stopped running.
    All under a year of use.

12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Running 18 Arctic Cooling P12 PWM fans and absolutely no issues or no hum or noise, they're nice and cheap fans and you can hardly get better fans for money, although now prices went up by good margin at least here in UK

As radiator fans yes you can always go with Noctua A12x25, F12 or S12 which are awesome fans, other good option BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 or Noiseblocker eLoop or PH-F120MP fans

For 140mm fans Thermalright TY-143 or TY-147A are my go to fans, tried I think possibly every 140mm fan on market and I prefer them to anything else out

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  13. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Thats great.

I just switched all mine and the AIO to Fractal and have zero issues .