Microsoft might purchase Discord for 10 Billion

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Discord is not worth more than The New Star Wars, but it's certainly got better characters :)

rl66 likes this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

3. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    Why would you buy Discord? Not that the actual audio quality is any good. Just another we got lots of money lets buy 300 million users.

4. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Good. Anything to keep Tencent out. I'd rather deal with the devil.

Neo Cyrus likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Seeing the back end tech behind it, and probably discord nitro.

6. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    If this happens it's time to look for another chat/voice server software which isn't ms...

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    It might, it might not.
    Until the deal is signed, look for alternatives.
    You're not married or signed a contract with any application or service.
    Get over it, the tech is based on moving sands.
    Very few things are more enduring than others, it's just the way it is.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I was wondering why you mentioned TenCent and a quick search shows they were early investors... oh hell no, I hope they own near none of it. 100% with you on this, I'd rather give MS all my data than give those pondscum monsters at TenCent any info at all. Assuming they haven't mined Discord user data illegally already. I've went out of my way to avoid TenCent owned anything. Those bastards have their tendrils in everything it seems.

mackintosh likes this.
  9. Great White Shark

Great White Shark Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Jetstream
    Totally agree with all of you about this Microsoft destroyed Skype, Teams and are now looking at a beloved Discord for gamers! It won't be the same and you will probably have to pay for Discord after this!

10. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Buying the users and their data seems like the most likely reason. Microsoft can kill Discord for all I care.

Turanis likes this.

11. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Whoa, what a jump scare :D

Exodite and Turanis like this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Strong disagree with Teams. I think it's the best product Microsoft's released in decades. It has some teething issues but that's to be expected with something developed so rapidly.

14. SGMRock

SGMRock Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 XC3 Hybrd
    I agree, Teams has been a great product for work. As far as I know it was developed by MS and not purchased. Maybe they used some of the tech they bought from other companies over the years but that's business. It has got a constant stream of upgrades over the past year or more and they keep coming. Funny because my wife works for Cisco and they have Cisco WebEx Teams which is almost a copy of the MS product.

My company of a bit over 60k employees uses it with good success along with the rest of O365 product for business. Its been cheaper a less of a hassle than hosting it ourselves, though we still have to do some on premise stuff to meet security requirements for various audits and certifications.

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Doesn't surprise me, and Bill Gates thinks he can save children's lives in small African villages by testing vaccines on them.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont really use discord and when I need to I use webbased verison, but I shutter at the thought that MS get there hand on discord to intrergrate it to system of "we are borg, resitance is futile"

jbscotchman likes this.
  17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

:p

18. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I've been complaining about call quality issues on Discord for years, only in the last 6 months has it stabilised. If they could use Discord with a Skype backend that would be awesome as the call quality on Skype is second to none.

Anyways I'm sure they'll keep Discord as it is and perhaps bring an Xbox app forwards.

19. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    To be honest, Discord has a tad unclear user interface and sometimes there are disconnections. I really don't see the appeal over TeamSpeak 3 other than Discord is easier to set up (though you have to make an account and add friends). I guess Discord is invaluable for some parties like for big gaming communities, but personally I play only with few people at a time so I don't need Discord for any particular reason. I also prefer the good old interface of TeamSpeak 3, but what Discord really has over many voice call applications is the mobile version.

Like @anticupidon said, you are not tied to any particular application and there are often lots of alternatives, so just download something better if Discord gets wasted, which I really doubt.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  20. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Not worries,its just another form of control of the masses.
    If you can't control stuff&things,just buy it or kill it with fire of mass fakes.Biz as usual. :)

[​IMG]

Last one was this:

"On January 27 2021, Discord banned the r/WallStreetBets server during the GameStop short squeeze, because of "hateful and discriminatory content" [mean the greedy corpo loose big fat money,lets not allow peasants to have it], which many users found contentious.
    One day later, Discord unbanned the server and began assisting with moderation on the server.

We’ve asked Discord exactly what is being done to improve moderation for text-, image-, and audio-based communications and how the company was able to resolve its differences with the WallStreetBets.
    The company wasn’t able to provide details at the time of publication."

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021