Radeon RX 6700 will arrive with 6 GB of graphics memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    6GB of vram for 1440p gaming?
    It's quite big step down from 6700XT.
    Actually it doesn't matter because it will be out of stock before it even launches.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    It's a step backwards from my 5700 I must say

maybe its gonna have much faster clocks but only 6gb will NOT be enough for 1440p

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    6700 XT seems to cost around 900 euros, so maybe this will be 700?

5. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Anything lower than 8 GB for new games is considered lower end for resolution and textures. 1080p ultra card it is. Like 2060, 1060, 1660, fury were. Like 980ti and 980. Like gtx 970, 960, HD 7970, r9 380/280 720p ultra. Amd loves "false marketing".

Turanis likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Curious to see how benchmarks of a 6GB VRAM card will look like at 1440p and 4K

Embra likes this.
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I'd buy one if it was priced correctly and available.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This is what I would expect for a 6600.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I recently found this dude's channel. I wouldn't buy a 6gb card now days but we still haven't seen a real next gen game. If I was able to buy a new GPU I would want at least 10gb Vram for the next 2-3 years. Why Nvidia gave the 3070 and 3060 Ti with only 8 gigs, I'll never know.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, that's a good question. What makes or breaks a game to be called "next gen". Ray tracing, to me personally, would be a visual upgrade, when well done, that makes a game look advanced.
    But what does make a game look advanced, even with ray tracing? Reflections are mostly a thing in games which are at least contemporary in the setting... have fun looking for the best ray traced reflections in a historically accurate setting of being a caveman.

I honestly say, I would not buy a 6GB VRAM card either right now, haven't had one in years. BUT I can imagine if you are on a budget, playing at 1080p or something like that, you might just have fun with cards <6GB.
    That's why I'm curious to see how an RX6700 (nonXT) performs, especially against it's bigger XT brother, and with different settings of games. I just think with any ray tracing enabled, games easily topple those 6GB. Without... not so much.

edit: and we all know why cards with cut down VRAM are sold, don't we... make them available cheaper, and run out of performance faster :D

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I consider a next-gen game that is only available for PS5, XSEX, and PC. And I still think that is at least a couple years off.

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I wish they would have done that with CP2077 for instance, and it would have been the right decision in hindsight. But sadly, this will probably never happen. By the time the PS4 / last gen's Xbox aren't supported anymore, they already support PS6 and whatever comes after the XSEX. There's always two console gens around, and the devs and / or publishers always push for both for increased sales numbers. Just look at how many true PC titles come out... can't be possibly done without console releases anymore, and with consoles it's usually two gens.

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Consoles have basically become PC's. You have a low tier, medium, and high level. The circle is complete. Never thought I'd see it happen.

14. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319
    I did not understand why to launch the successor RX5700 with 2GB less video memory and the very high price, weak card, I hope that nobody will buy it.

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What a waste of money.

Front buffer size is no more a thing in VRAM since AGP 4x

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Even if it were worth buying, miners would hog them all anyway.

DanielRX likes this.
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    No point in even debating about this. AMD will make like 100 units and scalpers will get all of them, and some asshole on some social platform will still chime in and say he easily got one by just walking into a store and buying it, which never happened. For all intents and purposes this product doesn't exist, and may never exist.

To this day the major Canadian computer chains haven't had a single AMD 6K card on shelves, it's never happened. In fact I'm not even sure if they even have had back orders up yet so people can order and wait months. I've never seen one. They did have back orders for nVidia cards very early on when I ordered mine, and even those backorders have been gone for a long time. My overrated card retailed at $1K CAD (pre-tax which is typically 13-15%, 13 here) and now it's $1.2K (again, pre-tax) if you ever even get a chance to back order one.

Yes, even a TUF 3080 OC is not enough to hold 140 fps in modern titles at 1440p with good settings. You'd expect that for $1K+, but in the current FUBAR climate of gaming GPUs, that's how it is. Just the fact that it has half the expected RAM should have been a hint that its performance won't measure up to the price.

Let's pray to the FSM that Intel can somewhat fix this absolute decimated market a little bit when they enter.

EspHack and DanielRX like this.
  18. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Pretty good for 1080p gaming , just like my old 1060 GTX , expect few years later <facepalm>

Also , it will sell for 900$+.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    For the price of one of these lower mid range cards you could buy an entire console + games if you can get one before the scumbag scalpers steal them. That's insane. Stop and think about that again, a lower mid range graphics card costs more than a new console set + games. That should never be a thing.

Anyone who asks me about gaming in the current climate... that's my answer to them, buy an XBSX and get their game pass, or if you're really after a Sony exclusive get a PS5, but forget PC gaming for 2021 or the foreseeable future for that matter. I don't see things getting any better until Intel enters the high end GPU market which who knows when will happen. 2023 if we're lucky? That's assuming Intel don't join the price fixing club... and that wafer production goes way up... and lawmakers crack down on the price fixing of RAM (which won't happen). RAM prices have gone way down but still not back to normal even all this time later, and we're on the cusp of DDR5 becoming the norm anyway.

DanielRX likes this.
  20. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    in my experience, an out of nowhere doubling in minimum specs, often with hardly any justification in visuals/complexity, just because the consoles are now able to handle a bigger lack of optimization

I imagine if DDR5 brings 4x density at the same prices, chrome will be allocating 60gb ram while idling cuz why not

I got burned with a low vram card last time around, never again