Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by rflair, Dec 18, 2020.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I am leaning towards the most likely reason being the larger studio's focusing more on spending less to make more "aka" selling textures to people in multiplayer video games.... why innovate when you can sell a kid the color blue?

cerebus23 and Solfaur like this.
  2. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    If there isn't a walk toggle button added in this patch. I might start a riot.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    DannyD likes this.
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Maybe he finished designing, the other guys need to finish implementing it.

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    His 'designing' may have been the issue here.
    Both TW3 and 2077 suffered kinda clunky swordplay /gunplay.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It was sorta a jest, I havent got a clue really :)

7. He wasn't designing TW3's combat, he was part of a QA team back then. These promotions of testers to other, higher tier roles, are not that rare actually. And from my experience, it usually starts with a good relationship with somebody from management...

DannyD likes this.
  8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Biggest gaming failure since ET on the Atari 2600. CD Projekt, you really ****** us all over good.

9. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I think this is the best, fairest comparison I've read yet :)

For those not familiar with ET on the Atari, google it. It's part of gaming's history and heritage -- and a stark reminder of how not to develop a game.

jbscotchman likes this.
  10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For those interested, there is a sale on Cyberpunk on GoG, 47,99€ instead of 59,99€.

I think it stalled due to the complexity of making a good and believable AI.

It´s much easier to improve graphics than to improve AI and it doesn´t seem things are going to change in the near future.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh well, maybe he left because obviously, the management that fked it up so bad can't be exchanged (they're the ones sent by those with the money invested), so somebody from the other group (real devs) had to leave. Power struggle etc.

All in all, we probably won't ever know if he would have left after CP2077's release anyway.

12. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    After recently upgrading my rig I decided to re-buy the game after having got my refund in January. Only cost me 15 quid and for that price the game is great!

Did a new character, male corpo this time whereas my previous one was a female nomad but I didn't like the female voice actor.

I still hate that cutscene that plays after you finish the intro and are let loose in the city. It feels like record skipping all of a sudden in the narrative and then the game basically vomits all these characters at you.

Gonna try and give the game a fair chance and at least play the storyline but will try and do some side stuff too.

13. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    They have announced an investor meeting on 30th to publish new company strategy.
    If the patch is to release shortly before, it seems like damage control tactic for the investors.

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmm... yes, that makes sense, has to do something with the investors most likely. I believe they have to do something since, let's be real, the share price of the company's not really doing well.

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    You know I really want to play this game again, but it just wasn't that good. CD Projekt hyped the hell out of it, not the gamers. CD Projekt better release an Enhanced Edition like they did with all the Witcher games.

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Do what I did: do a new playthrough of GTA5 single player :D
    j/k, I know you're still in GTA5 online anyway.

But I can relate... I uninstalled for SSD space, but don't see myself coming back for months anyway...

17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That's actually a really good idea. But I'm still gonna delve into the crap hole that is GTA Online. I actually have a lot of good friends and have formed quite a coalition of good gamers. But we're never gonna see GTA6, Dan Houser saw this coming and he got the hell out.

18. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I think Sony has some other horse in this race as much worse ports have been released on their store that were never removed.

For example, Lichdom Battlemage's console port per Digital Foundry is far worse than CP in its launch state and something like Fallout 76 was just as bad if not worse seems to me yet these were not removed for sake of example.

My bet is it simply has to do with the volume of returns they were receiving or perhaps CDPR broke their word on this or that/pissed off Sony, but I'm speculating of course -- in any case, it seems clear that they didn't pull the game purely because of the technical state because if it was then they would've pulled several other games in the past, but did not do so.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  19. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    My observation has been that PC receives subpar or outright bad ports more frequently than console does. It is somewhat interesting to see how it goes when the shoe is on the other foot. Don't get me wrong, it sucks when a game launches in a sorry state on any platform, but I mean, I don't really see a lot of sympathy from the console folk when PC receives yet another bad console port in other cases.

I also have to wonder going off of the Digital Foundry console testing if the severity of the performance issues has been somewhat exaggerated or if a lot of people's expectatations were simply unreasonably high. CP is a technically ambitious title that is gonna be very heavy -- in the tests I've seen it runs at anywhere from the mid to low 20s in the typical worst case up to 30 fps the vast majority of the time with some noticeable texture/asset streaming popin looking at console versions which doesn't seem too bad to me for console considering the scope of the title. Digital Foundry commented several times that the performance they were seeing for CP console was pretty representative of the norm for open world games during the 360/PS3 era. It's not great and hopefully with more work it can be improved somewhat, but it's not surprising either seems to me -- I'm not totally sure what people on console were expecting. Remember when Crysis was ported to the 360/PS3? Trying to run what are essentially "next gen" games in terms of technical ambition on older hardware will incur a lot of compromises -- there's just no way around it seems to me. Even Red Dead 2 which is used for comparison a lot has its issues on console (a frankly atrocious level of input lag as demonstrated by Digital Foundry with their "stick flick" test in one of their videos sometime ago, but I can also confirm personally this is a problem).

It's really the extent of the bugs that I find to be the primary issue/unacceptable and that affected PC as well no? People have meme'd on CP pretty hard, but I enjoyed the game's main story and primary side content quite a bit personally barring the odd visual bug or having to reload here and there to fix a handful of quest bugs.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  20. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    Imagine the position he may have been in as well. Trying to put that game on the older consoles was one of the biggest problems. If the game would have been directed at the new consoles and pc's maybe things would have turned out a bit different.

In his exit interview bet he said, "I told you what was going to happen...you didn't listen...see ya."