Convince me why I should not get a 5600x....I dare you!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Airbud, Mar 16, 2021.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    lol
    who wins,amd box cooler vs amd box cooler

:confused::confused::confused:o_Oo_Oo_O

i'd say that is about right for a hardwareunboxed test :rolleyes: amd took all top three places in this one.

and they were the ones that valued cheapest wraith spire at $40 while igpu on 9600k was worth absolutely zero for them

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, the point is which of the stock coolers is better, duh.

I didn't order a new cooler when I bought the 3700X. (I do have an AIO cooler that I was using on my Intel i5, but it doesn't support AM4.) It's been fine so far. The only case where it spins up so much that I can hear it, is when I compile something on linux with "make -j16".

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    probably the one that comes with a more expensive cpu,right ?

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Nope. The 5600X comes with the worst of them (the "Stealth"). The 3700X comes with the best one (the "Prism".) That's what I meant in one of my previous posts when I said AMD is turning into Intel :p

When you buy a 5600X, you'd also better buy a cooler. If you get a 3700X, the stock cooler is fine. Not great, but fine.

6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    until you save $30 for a proper one

about the cpu though.
    5600x seems very esports oriented,but in cpu heavy open world games,it loses a lot of its advanteges by only being a sixcore.
    it's a very nice $200-230 cpu they're currently selling at +300

7. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    It's a great little processor man! Now that supply is freeing back up the market is flooding with them & at MSRP for the time being & hopefully the foreseeable future. I don't want to talk you out of it. For the price point and the performance you get out of the package considering what it manages at six cores and with that energy profile its very nice. I just sold a build I did with one, very pleased with the results I had out of it. I think you'll be too. Going for Intel now personally because of my needs and the 10th gen's recent price changes. I think you'll be very happy with a 5600X. Nice what's managed from 6 cores when you compare it to previous Ryzen 8 core CPUs.

Really shows some great improvements in the short while that the Ryzen architecture has been stretching its legs since 2017... plus depending on what you plan to do, if you're a designer a developer a researcher etc... you have a robust feature set. Some ECC support (Ryzen in general I think) the latest instruction sets) some interesting hardware options just getting support now from OEMs like SAM (BAR, aka direct access to VRAM can't recall the exact name direct stream? Direct IO or something?), PCIE-4.0... well anyway point is no need to be talked out of something offering so much for $$$ so little really.

8. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Yeah they're really popular right now. Newegg is getting them in at a pretty steady rate. When they don't you can generally find them elsewhere for $299. See here.

It can handle open world games just fine for now and some time to come. It'll be a while before it's a gaming bottleneck. It's content creation and workstation tasks that it while fall behind in as opposed to some others due to core count. Despite refinements my 1700X still outperformed it in Autodesk

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    In a world where Ryzen 9 was actually at a MRSP, buying this wouldn't make much sense:

ryzen7-5800x.jpg

But, in current day/market reality, €430 for such a fast CPU is acceptable, and actually close to the introductory price of previous gen 3800X (which was also overpriced at launch, but eh...)
    5800X went from the poorest value per core (MRSP) to being the best currently (Amazon.de prices):
    - 5800X - €54 /c
    - 5600X - €60 /c
    - 5900X - €72 /c
    - 5950X - €79 /c
    Weird, huh ?

---
    TBH it doesn't make much sense to upgrade from 3700X to 5800X, but I needed an AM4 CPU to complete a computer for a family member, so she gets my 3700X with a mobo which I already have.

I looked at 5600X, not willing to drop in core counts compared to my current CPU.

If nothing breaks, I estimate this is my last CPU upgrade until DDR5 is seriously mainstream (2023/2024)

TL;DR:
    5600X is overpriced (but not as overpriced as 5900X and up)

Airbud, Undying and AsiJu like this.
  10. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    10600KF all day, any day.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its a 6 core, a bit risky for the future unless you dont mind buying a new CPU in a year or two.
    Price is very good though.

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yea the Prism is a really good cooler actually. I replaced the Wraith Stealth with one and it made a huge difference.

13. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    On average you're doing 4 to 7 years for your desktop cpu , gaming 2 to 3 years.

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That can vary a lot though. Used my last CPU, FX8350 for 6 years and there's still a lot of people using Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs for gaming.

Airbud and Raserian like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nahalem too.

16. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Everything from first generation i CPUs and later is more than adequate for many tasks, including games. Even some later core 2 CPUs are doing pretty well if you add SSD and extra RAM.

Airbud and jbscotchman like this.
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I feel the same with my 2700X, there is no upgrade path for me atm. Only upgrade i can do is the 5800X but at those prices no way.

18. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    2700x to 5800x would be a significant upgrade (30-40% more single threaded performance depending on the application, 25%+ multi).

However, if your standards are "it must be at least 50% faster" or similar, then wait one more generation, "6000" series will probably cross that threshold easily.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I can go with 3800x at 280euros but thats barely 15-20% increase over 2700x. I also dont want overpriced six core 5600x. Will probably wait some more.

20. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    yes, but its a 6 core with 12 threads going up to 4.8Ghz. For me, it would be plenty. Might aswell buy a new board and new CPU in 2 years for the price.

No idea about author.