Intel Announces their Rocket Lake-S Desktop CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel is introducing its eleventh-generation Core processors for desktops, aka  Rocket Lake-S. The new CPUs have a new architecture for the first time since Skylake in 2015, which means they have to ...

Intel Announces their Rocket Lake-S Desktop CPUs

2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    omg so many cpus, there is one each 5 to 20 eur.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Is this a first time in a decade that intel is undercuting amd prices? Cheaper probably means they are slower but there are some decent options especially in lower end.

It will be interesting how amd will respond. Zen3+? Reducing the prices? Or finally introducing the 5700x and 5600 non x.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    8 cores for $550?

Yeah i get there are cheaper ones but...wow

5. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    I like the pricing of the i5/i7. The 11900k is what it is. I am really curious to see how binned it is as in games it could still come close to or beating the 5900x.

I know everyone is going to probably crap on Intel here, but I think the i5/i7 CPUs with their new better onboard GPU is going to have a significant place.

I think AMD is going to have to lower prices. This is good for everyone. Just goes to show you want both of these guys around competing.

6. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    They've been undercutting AMD with pricing and stock levels for a while now. Check prices for 10400F, 10700F, 10700KF, 10850K. All great, very well priced gaming CPUs for different budget levels. Internet nerds were too obsessed with AMD to notice. So now AMD is the expensive one as ironic as it may be.

olymind1 likes this.
  7. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    Its true.

Where I am the 5900x is $50 more than the 11900k. I would like the i9 to be at least $50 cheaper. I do think the i9 will be pretty binned and beat the 5800x/5900x in quite a few games, and match in others.

The 5900x/5950x is a unicorn though, hardly available.

8. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    The question is, can they deliver? I'm waiting for my 5900X since the beginning of December 2020, with slight hopes of getting it end of March.
    The 5800X is on stock though, but I want the just slightly more expensive 5900X (at least with the crazy pricing at the moment).

9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    11700 and 11600k seems very interesting price wise.
    My understanding is that between i9 and i7 the only difference with this generation is the thermal short turbo.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    i9 have more pcie lanes.

11. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Well done Intel.
    Your turn AMD.

12. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    Ha ha ha. “115W”. At idle maybe. Do they have a core dedicated to specter/meltdown mitigation?

13. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    For builders of new systems this release is okay, but honestly this is slightly disappointing for upgraders like me. Intel motherboards are still a notch more expensive than AMD ones, so overall cost for i5-11600K gets too close to R5 5600X or might even exceed it if you are fine with a cheap AM4 board. It is recommendable to combine i5-11600K or more consuming models only with boards that have decent VRM like for example MSI B560M Mortar likely has.
    I wished Intel would offer the more complete package at affordable price point, but it seems you still have to pay premium for the iGPU while you still get much worse power consumption compared to R5 5600X. I am no more interested in Rocket Lake without hefty discount and for budget builders it is still hard to recommend Rocket Lake over Comet Lake, but I recommend to get a B560 motherboard with Comet Lake for memory overclocking. The new motherboards are actually the best thing here with their beefier VRMs and other good stuff.
    Personally I will wait for the possible R5 5600 or even Zen3+.

Conclusion: Intel missed it's chance.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  14. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    Still can't remember hearing about this being exploited yet on either Intel or AMD. And didn't 10th Gen do in silicon mitigation without a perf hit? Therefore, 11th Gen probably has the same.

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The 11700K and the 11600k are the only interesting CPUs in the entire line up and cheaper than the ones from AMD, like others have already said.

They could be interesting for people needing a new system right now but for others is preferable to wait for the real next gen CPU from Intel and from AMD.

16. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I don't see why AMD would respond to this launch other than by price matching, or introducing some lower specced SKUs. I certainly can't imagine them doing anything at the top end. 5900X and 5950X are not gaming parts (irrespective of what marketing would like people to think), and if leaks and early benchmarks are to be believed, with the exception of some limited gaming applications, they still blow RL out of the water in everything else. I suspect they might release higher specced XT parts around the time Alder Lake ships to tide people over until Zen4/AM5 launches in 2022, though I am still at a loss why they would bother investing any more time and effort into a dead end platform.

17. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Meh, i'll hold out for 12th gen, im the minority (i know) with not liking the high TDP in cpu's and nvidia gpu's 30 series

So guess i'll stick to my 8700k and RTX2080 for another year at least, there still doing a good job but i have that itch to upgrade, thank god for some great 4tb nvme ssd's to focus on

18. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    I am curious about this Intel AI Boost stuff they are saying is basically going to offset the loss of the cores/threads in certain multithread applications like Vegas Video and Handbrake. I use these all the time and the numbers they are showing are pretty significant.

19. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    I looked at the prices in a UK store and they seem quite expensive compared to the the 10th generation stuff, even assuming the 19% IPC that Anand failed to see much evidence of. I'd get a 10600k if I was shopping for Intel right now.

20. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Some:
    "Intel will definitely be cheaper than the ridiculously expensive Zen3. "

Intel:
    "11900K with 8 cores for $540."

AMD:
    $550 5900X with 12 cores and probably lower power consumption: "Hold my beer!"

I don't see why AMD should lower prices. Their 5900X with 1,5 more cores, better single thread performance and overwhelmingly better multi thread perf., and even less power consumption (with 1,5 more cores) is only $12 more expensive than the 11900K.