3080 Owner's thread!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Syranetic, Sep 17, 2020.

1. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Ok nvidia support suggested I use latency mode to ultra so I did.

The initial almost constant micro stutter at the start when moving the camera is greatly reduced to the point where its 95% smooth but I still noticed the occasional micro frametime spike while fighting/and campaign map and also in Apex (note the gpu usage when they start to pop up)

LF ULTRA

What's really wierd thing is I wanted to see what would happen if I put latency mode back to "off" and nothing changed.
    LF OFF The hell is going on.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Oh dear.
    I saw the same behaviour with my AMD 3600 CPU, it is not alone!
    Standard NV API calls used by all the monitoring apps can no longer be trusted, damn.

3. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Yup, the only value which you can apparently consider as reliable is the one given by hwinfo. It sucks having to switch profiles everytime you want to start a game (that is what I have done to avoid this problem, since by locking the curve at a desired voltage/frequency also prevents the card from downclocking itself during desktop use), but at least there's no such discrepancy anymore. In the worst case you get about 10MHz less, which is totally acceptable.

4. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I certainly don’t have that part of the problem.
    My profile(s) keep the power management intact and the card will run at its maximum frequency per Watt, no matter which reading is right after all.

@kman: well, that’s really weird. But: as long as the problem is fixed, that’s a good thing nevertheless!

5. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    It aint fixed all thee way trough.Its fixed partially.There's still micro stutters when gpu usage goes high enough :/

6. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Even by locking the voltage from the curve diagram with CTRL+L? As soon as I set the lock and hit apply the frequencies go to the max and stay that way, no matter what. That is why I created two profiles, one for desktop use and the other one for gaming only.

7. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I’m using X1 currently, but yes that’s how it always worked. I’m only using a single screen though.
    Power management is critical to me, the noise alone would make me mad.

@kman: weird issue, really. Are all games affected equally?

8. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Probably it's because I am using Afterburner, I guess...

9. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Kinda.

I DDUcleaned a new driver (457.51) just to test and this issue is back

So I just turn Low latency mode to ultra and it's gone.I closed the game and switched Low latencymode to OFF again which is default and somehow the "partial fix" stuck. Still see the occasional small micro stutters occassionaly in battle and pretty frequently in the campaign map.
    From observation like I said after 80%+ it starts to happen and the closer it gets to 99% gpu usage the more frequent it gets.

Games like WOW where usual gpu usage is like 50% is smooth with no issues.

Look at 1:42 and 3:57 on the frametime graph.Pretty similar right? (with Apex notice how the frametime gets smoother as Gpu usage drops down)

10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Quite weird. Have you tried different power management options, or different tools to use a framerate limit for example?
    I've even had issues with the built-in game mode from Windows.

11. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I usually limit fps with the nvidia fps limiter.I also tried RTSS and no change.

As for power managment?I have it set to maximum performance globally.Also,I don't use game mode.
    Waiting for Nvidia support to give me the go ahead for a refund.The card is obviously faulty at this point.

12. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Forgive the tad off topic but what is the consensus on Game Mode in 2021 for us 3000 series owners or in general? Doesn't it just disable Windows updates at this point or something along those lines?

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    reduces performance.

14. What does Game Mode do to reduce performance, and is it applicable to GPUs outside the 3000s?

tfam26 likes this.
  15. PC-Tweaker

PC-Tweaker Member

GPU:
    3080 Trinity Zotac
    1080Ti, by default, is in "IRQ mode" vs 3080, by default, is in MSI mode (if you're not familiar with this, see @mbk1969 's great post on the subject and his tool : https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/w...ge-signaled-based-interrupts-msi-tool.378044/ )

I would suggest you to try your 3080 in IRQ mode to see if it has any impact (and/or also the opposite, try setting your 1080Ti in MSI mode to see if it gives you the same issue as your 3080)

Another thing as well: Did you disable the audio output of your 3080 ? Audio output of Nvidia's GPUs (even if your are not using them) are known to sometime create some microstuttering when not disabled (it did happen to me)
    upload_2021-3-16_20-31-45.png

One last thing (if you didn't yet tried it), you could try playing with "bcdedit /set useplatformtick" command (I know, I know... controversial (placebo?) stuff, but it apparently can help some people to get rid of some stuttering... I did try it with my 3080, didn't see any major differences, if any, were probably "margin of error" normal differences). But where you're at with all you've tried, you have nothing to lose to give it a try.

Edit:
    Just did a few additional tests regarding the "useplatformtick" command, I stand corrected, it does seems to sometime make a real difference (depending on the frame limiting method used, your specific setup/build, and most proabably a "per game" type of thing, where you could win some, lose some, or neither). I did 2 consecutive runs of Borderlands 3 (DX11) benchmarks for each type of frame limiting method (3 different), for both "useplatformtick yes" and "useplatformtick no"... If you look at the frametime, interesting results to say the least...

upload_2021-3-16_22-56-42.png

The huge spikes are in the game menu, don't consider those. But we can clearly see that frametime, in my build, in this game, is indded smoother / almost stutter free with useplatform tick @yes (clearly noticeable by the eye too, not only in MSI graphs)

End edit

As for this part, I gave it a try and monitored (while benching Port Royale @1080p) with HWiNFO64 (using the "traditional" UV method @950mv in this case) and I got an "MSI AB" read clock @1980Mhz, while my "effective" clock was @1971, so pretty darn close... So it seems those results might differ according to each build ?...

upload_2021-3-16_20-47-37.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021

16. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    What happens at higher resolutions? Could you please try that, if possible? Could it maybe also depend on the behaviour of the GPU under heavier loads? Or maybe it depends on the model, you got a Zotac, I got a FTW3 Ultra. Dunno. I am going to test myself at 1080p too and see what happens. Didn't try port royale specifically, but Control and Cyberpunk were having that issue (at 1440p).

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    @pc tweaker: that’s some good advice there! Small things like these can make a huge difference.

@sertopico: I’ll have to test this myself, but no matter what: if you’re undervolting and the darf is running at a maximum, the real speed doesn’t matter that much to me.
    As long as the performance is in line and the power draw matches, I’m fine.

Did you compare your card, default and undervolted, by any chance?
    I only tested mine with X1 profiles, not purely default, so this issue may be within all my results (if it’s there).

18. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    [​IMG]
    I already have everything I don't use disabled.Same thing with microphone.I also disable enhancements/lower to lowest hz format in the sound properties just as an added measure.

If MSI was the issue wouldn't it not be an issue with everyone's 3080s?
    I've been trough disabling hpet command twice over the years for other specific games in the past and it was a rabbit hole...really don't want to go back in.Especially since I seem to be getting this issue on pretty much every game I play.Again,As you've seen in the videos the micro stutter starts at around the 80% gpu usage mark and gets more frequent the higher after that and for some reason the issue is GREATLY reduce/doesn't happen on 1080p; 144hz.

What's the command to put hpet to default again?I might try it out of boredom later.
    Waiting for nvidia to respond.They said they are gonna have the internal team looking into the issue (whatever that means)

Also I don't have my 1080ti anymore :/ Gave it to my brother and he sits on his pc as much as I do.

I noticed there's some really wierd GPU usage when these "bumps" are happening. https://imgur.com/a/csHZzqZ Testing with warhammer 2 campaign and moving the camera around.I'm not doing any special either except going circles with the w,a,s,d keys.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  19. ern88

ern88 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080
    Anyone know if Nvidia will now support Zen2 CPUs for Resize BAR on the RTX 3080 now that AMD has released BIOS BAR support for Zen2. I hope it will work when the VBios are released soon.

20. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Me too waiting for it ..... o_O

ern88 likes this.