GeForce RTX 3060 hashrate restriction bypassed by miners

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 10, 2021.

1. VenTK

VenTK Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070
    No, I'm in EU, so I don't have access to those outlets, really. I just followed PartAlert on Twitter and Discord for a week, and eventually was lucky to click on one of their drop links quick enough to get a card and beat the bots.

Also, I never said "everyone" could get any card they wanted if they tried enough. Please don't put words in my mouth. I wasn't hopeful at first, but I got lucky after a week of trying. Don't know what else to tell you.

2. VenTK

VenTK Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070
    I don't understand all the salty replies I'm getting. My point was to never give up on getting a GPU, not to downplay the struggle of getting one. Because I went through it!
    I didn't expect these sort of replies on this site tbh. Guess I'll go back to lurking instead.

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Update3: NVIDIA released a developer driver (GeForce 470.05), where the Ethereum hashrate limiter appears to be nonfunctional. Asia PC Watch reported about it, and it has now been confirmed that by using the GeForce 470.05 driver, the Ethereum hash rate limiter is not working. It was earlier claimed that by using a special BIOS and special driver the limit can easily be removed. If you download through her official channels, you need to register for a free developer account. As it turns out, it's an incompetent move from NVIDIA, the findings have been confirmed by several media.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The limiter is functional on every card except for the primary monitor attached one.
    Riser attached 3060's cannot bypass the limit.

its not a big deal, apart from letting gamers mine in their free time.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    They are mining on gaming laptop farms in Asia. One cheap MB+CPU+RAM+PSU+storage per GPU is still cheaper for higher hash rate than gaming laptop.

tfam26 and Airbud like this.
  6. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    yep!

[​IMG]
    all in the search of new money!...crypto...Greed!

can't wait for that s*** to crash!

tfam26 likes this.
  7. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Pure hatred. Somebody censor this fella.

Airbud likes this.
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Explain.. I don't quite understand.

9. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I was hoping ETH devs would implement the EIP1559, move to proof of stake a bit faster, maybe some more ASICs get online and make GPU mining less profitable and so on... So I can buy a GPU at a normal price and have more options.
    But fuckit. Normies losing their minds over crypto is it's own reward. Keep thisshit going! XD

10. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

I wanna de-express parts of what truth he's telling.

Airbud likes this.

11. LBJM

LBJM Guest

GPU:
    latest green team
    What does that even mean?

12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Yup soon as the EIP1559 firmware's available i'm jumping all over it, screw the normies!:D

13. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ETH TO THE MOON.

14. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    Nvidia does NOT care about us. This strategy was planned well in advance. It was all a PR coup.
    All they care about is their bottom line. Like any capitalist company like AMD, Intel, Microsoft, Google, Amazon................

Horus-Anhur and Solfaur like this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And I guess, you did not see forest for the trees. Look at walls and see what has been repurposed. :)

16. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Let's be clear, people should not contribute to mining crypto currency. There is a lot of shady business behind this, likely banks and whatever parties yearning for control. The saddest part is there are no guarantees what is the future of crypto currencies, so lots of money and time of many miners are going to be wasted in the end.

Nvidia might have made a decent move by selling not very capable chips for miners, since miners are going to buy their gaming cards otherwise, but it's not certain if these cards are truly that bad units. In any case, limiting the hashrate is certainly friendly towards their core audience and I like that, but what I certainly don't like is how they at the same time contribute to the mining scene. That is bad and I just can't see around that.

Anyway, miners are for now going to buy whatever they can get their hands on, so in the end the wisest move for Nvidia would have been introducing gaming products and nothing else. Unnecessary hassle by Nvidia, but I cannot understand why people are so negative towards this given the usual reasoning. This GPU generation is lost anyways so just chill and do whatever with your saved money.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You're describing money lol

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Reading this made me sad for a second.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't think there is a good reason reason for me not to. I spend 10-12 hours a day at work - where I live it's still about 40-50F outside, so my heat would be on anyway for my dog who stays at home. I let it run during the day and it turns a profit over the electric cost. It will cut the lifespan of the card down, but I upgrade every generation anyway.

Honestly what's probably more sad is that the only game I've played on the card in the last 5 or so months I've had it is Valheim. I have like 3 hours of Cyberpunk, maybe 5 of Star Citizen and ~60ish of Valheim lol.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Insert surprised pikachu meme here.

fantaskarsef likes this.