AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    "Quake II RTX" that sais it all.

itpro likes this.
  2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Why they try so hard to play this ****ing old game, it surpasses my logical boundaries. It is revived only to say hey! RTX reflections looking good? How much FPS it goes, does it hurt performance? This game should stop being getting mentions in our drivers' forum, it is like pollution or disease.

Undying likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    On top of that they bought an amd card to play the rtx sponsored game that runs like crap even on nvidia cards. Its just silly.

itpro likes this.
  4. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    Don't understand me wrong. I don't care about this game. I mentioned it just because some people blamed my PSU for the crashing. Because I have an old 1000W Enermax Galaxy power supply. A few other guys said that they play the game with their 6800XT without a problem.
    That's why to me is weird that I can play so many other games with 395W maximum power consumption without a problem with my PSU and at the same time Quake II RTX still crashes.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    HD64G likes this.

5. astarte.zeno

astarte.zeno Member

GPU:
    RX 5700XT
    Could Vanguards suggest to AMD to add per game profile option for GPU to hold steady clock/maybe max clock, even if GPU thinks that game is to easy to run, if it doesn't overheat?

MattStiles likes this.
  6. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    It does work on per game profiles just not globally

only found it works the other day

you do it from the performance/tuning tab

HD64G and OnnA like this.
  7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    RElive can't capture audio, went through a number of possible solutions and got same results

any tips? i got no mic and won't buy to enable this crap

8. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    You do not need to have a hardware microphone plugged in nor virtual microphone set up to enable separate microphone track in radeon settings. The setting just adds extra audio track in separate file no matter of your audio set up.

9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I meant in-game audio, i don't care about capturing mic audio

10. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    This is an issue isolated to your case. I would recommend you to give a try to DDU and clean install drivers as recording should be working properly. For me it has always been working correctly and i always been getting both, video and audio.

In the worst case you may need to clean reinstall OS and this would mean you have serious software-sided mess on your OS at the moment.

11. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

Overlay and isnta reply not working in some games

12. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Bro, i just went back to 3090 and it works 100%, also installed the drivers using DDU in safe mode

13. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    It's sad to see the same old faces still gatekeeping for AMD driver team's shortcomings and always is trying to make it look like it's the user's fault or game developer's fault for not getting AMD GPU's performance right, or better yet, "You're playing the wrong game."

Until this gatekeeping issue isn't actively resolved by the moderators, trying to report any issue here is pointless. This is one of the reasons I have stopped reporting issues here altogether.

How bad is AMD's drivers? You can't force AA modes in DirectX9 based games through AMD Radeon Software and it has been like this for the past 3+ years. Games like Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2/Mass Effect 3 can look visually stunning on nvidia cards due to the ability to override the in game AA method. You know what the response I got when I posted about this issue in a thread? The same gatekeepers told me to stop playing DirectX 9 based games in year 2019! :D

And my message to the gatekeepers: Your gatekeeping doesn't help consumers. If anything, it gives them all the more reasons to turn themselves away from purchasing AMD products in the future, because they can't get their issues heard or resolved because of your whataboutism.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  14. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    Hello friends I have a problem with the driver 21.2.3 when I open the device manager, this information appears in the pictures and I don't know how to proceed although I have no problems with games or crashes; only this strange information appears I think so I would like a lot if a master can help me thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

DannyD likes this.
  15. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    How tables have turned. Interesting results, it used to be amd's drivers having an overhead, now it is other way around and nvidia is having one.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    And this is why they were cancelled by nvidia, mispresenting data.

There is no "Overhead", they gave the card less work to do and every single part since maxwell puts part of the chip to sleep under low load situations.

This guys an absolute radeon shill because he never covered the API's where AMD gpu's actually do have CPU Overhead concerns (D3D11, OpenGL)

Jouven and AlleyViper like this.
  17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Well, DX12 is the dominant API these days and with the Nvidia driver, WD Legion performance would be even less bearable with my 6700k. Also makes you wonder how Nvidia screwed up (at least a bit) a driver for a low overhead API that only emerged in 2015, seems it's really not in their DNA...

BlindBison likes this.
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm CPU limited gaming and not testing the D3D11 and it's overhead seems a bit of a miss or perhaps lack of additional driver threading and support for the optional D3D11.1 driver command lists extension. (Which it appears that NVIDIA got some really good use of when they retooled their driver code years ago.)

Or RDNA and D3D9 and how that performs for even tighter testing though AMD's fixed some(all?) of those issues at least where it would drop to single digit framerate, DXVK comparisons could also be utilized to see some of how this scaling benefits though that also goes for NVIDIA since the stricter API compliance and other improvements can improve game specific faults or errors so it's not the cleanest of tests unless it's something like Serious Sam and engines that natively support D3D11, D3D12 and Vulkan for ease of comparison. :)

EDIT: I am curious as to how D3D12's additional features and functionality will pan out but if that's for Windows 10 21H2 and all that's bringing it'll be a while before that starts getting leveraged.

Majority of the games I currently am going through are still D3D11, even Ubisoft is mixing the two since Valhalla and Watch Dogs are either native D3D12 or mixing D3D12 and D3D11 whereas Fenyx Rising is D3D11 only oddly enough.
    Certainly see a difference in GPU performance and GPU behavior though, D3D11 usually gets resolved either through SpecialK or if the performance boost is big enough DXVK's still incredibly useful.

The drivers or RDNA2 helps a bit but there's still good gains to be had from some titles.
    But some of these titles also have a variety of issues reported from the DXVK issue tracker so that's still a possible factor just circumventing the worst of it during the API wrapping and that gives solid gains both to AMD and NVIDIA in turn.
    (Anything from shader issues to invalid API usage and weird workarounds or outright hacks it seems.)

BlindBison and HK-1 like this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Sure, but HU is stretching reality to suit their agenda.

none of the top end Nvidia cards run 1080p as fast as they could due to aggressive power saving and the intent to achieve minimal driver side latency, 1080p at medium is not the intended market for a 2080ti or a 3090. (This has been a fact since Maxwell, the last series to run 1080p with the chip fully active is kepler)

the radeon is spinning cpu cycles and pushing frames but historically a high load with the radeon driver has come with a high driver latency.

HU is not demonstrating overhead here, they don't even know what overhead actually is.

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00853849/file/ospert13_slides.pdf

Nvidia actually makes use of this in their driver to prevent underpowered scenario's from crashing the pc, instead of that half or more of the chip is powered off (so you see a reduction in TBPw) rather than a reduction in the clock rate.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Prefer Maximum Performance should do it for the NVIDIA cards I assume so users could force it there, AMD's a bit more mixed due to Wattman working in different ways depending on the GPU generation and how it actually applies this though RDNA2 can be configured somewhat to have a higher minimum clock profile.

1920x1080 displays with high refresh rates might also work but even then a 3070 or higher NVIDIA would probably throttle because it won't really stress the GPU enough.
    Then there's ray tracing but that's it's own little situation and modes like DLSS are very frequent for NVIDIA supported titles too here retaining performance and scaling the resolution to achieve that result.
    (Not something you'd usually utilize for 1920x1080 itself.)

EDIT: No clue as to some of the odd games that scale to super high framerates and gains for competitive online though that's also a bit of a special use case however.