Elden Ring

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Godzilla

Godzilla Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 6600
    but the difficulty level of souls games is what keeps you playing for thousands of hours. easy mode just gives you a quick run through and a less remembering experience. if elden ring had easy difficulty you wouldn't feel the true reward of accomplishment, like i did after beating sister Friede and Father Ariande. The developers know this and why there's no easy difficulty.

2. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    ^^Exactly! Requesting an easy mode is missing the point of those games. They are not being hard for the sake of being hard, but rather to provoke you to think and act, hence the reward after that. Also for the most part, the story is kind of vague and not really something to experience, but to flesh out the game world. Truth is, if you just enable easy mode and go around one punching everything, you will probably never finish the game, as it will just become bland.

3. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Same as for cheating. But many people still using trainers to get good, godmode, etc. - and i still dont know where the fun is to play a game like this...if its too hard for you, then dont play it (seems like such games arent for you anyway if you are cheating in a Soulsgame).
    An easy mode or able to change the difficulty would be almost the same.

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts

5. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    He's not looking at is a tryhard I'd say, but more of a moving forward way of making difficulty sliders more dynamic rather than a simple EASY or NORMAL/HARD experience.

I quite like his explanation.

Also, I agree with you on the witcher 3 part, but I wouldn't say it was even a small part, but a tiny part of why the game was so popular.

That game had fantastic marketing around it and a huge beautiful world with an almost endless amount of mini stories/side quests in it which kept you hooked.

It was the connection made to the characters and the world that appealed and kept people playing to find out more and enjoy the visuals, story and music - not a difficulty setting.

6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I absolutely agree with your points regarding witcher 3. My point was just that had the tryharders had their way, and the difficulty was locked at the hardest setting, without a difficulty slider, as some were pushing for with witcher 3, then the vast majority of players wouldnt have had a good time with witcher 3.

Regarding difficulty sliders - i would think that the average player would prefer a simple slider, rather than having to read up on how to use different difficulties. Generally speaking, people want things being straight forward. Obviously some want a way more complex / hardcore experience, which are generally the kinda people who traverse these kinda forums :)

Passus likes this.
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    or get trainers or cheat engine tables?

there are options if people THINK.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    So in order to have an enjoyable experience in a game, people should have to resort to 3rd party programs? I hope you can hear yourself how incredibly stupid that is.

Passus likes this.
  9. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Trainers can be fun after you finish a game or useful if you get stuck in a game worlds geometry and there is no console

cerebus23 likes this.
  10. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    some people played the Dark Souls series a lot of times. obviously i get it. some prefer challenge and combat over story-conversations any day. the difficulty level keeps the game going for more and more plays. i don't see how\why people compare Hardcore type of games, to TW3.

two different genres.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    I dont see any comparing of the gameplay just the sales

you can not compare anything to TW3 period.

12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    it not stupid that devs do no code or spend resources on making cheats, granted most cases they simply need not remove them.

but it takes little time knowledge or effort to use game hacks or cheats less you do them yourself, pro mode.

and since there whole groups that enjoy memory hacking making trainers and circumvention DLC garbage sometimes. they doing it anyway.

the more you know.

13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    all humans are rettards in their own areas or are you some god being there holmes?

and how is that rubbish pointing out that games need easy mode coded in because reasons or not coded in because reasons or get gud should be the only creed people live and die by over and over, unless a game is piece of trash like a oblivion that is broken beyond to the point cheats are required to complete the game at all then you can argue it is incumbent to have cheats to fix their garbage.

some people play hard games for the lore or story some people just want to chill and not be stressed who cares there are valid reasons but there ways to get your cake and eat it also nm what your choice happens to be.

choice is good. and everyone can experience what ever games they like REGARDLESS of what the devs do or do code or add. or is this "retard" thinking big brained one?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  14. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    So, where is the game?

cerebus23 likes this.
  15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Duke Nil, Embra, Havel and 4 others like this.

16. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Yesh.

Open-world DS with more direct story-telling?

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ooh yes!

Reminded me that my Sekiro playthrough is unfinished though...
    actually it's barely started, at the first proper boss (that priestess bitch...).

As for the debacle, there's a reason FromSoft games have a fixed difficulty.
    The experience is carefully balanced against that setting and you are supposed to get "stuck" in places.

Obviously though these games are for people who like challenge and games requiring skill.

drandiiski likes this.
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    One more thought about difficulty as that applies to all games, not just FromSoft:

the way difficulty is often handled is by altering player and enemy HP and damage or availability of resources etc.

While FromSoft could do the same, it's a very "cheap" way of doing difficulty.
    It could be argued making a game more difficult by decreasing player health and damage or increasing enemy health and damage is artificial.

Good way of doing difficulty is making enemies smarter, more aggressive, giving player less help or requiring more effort to achieve something - but not limiting player effectiveness or survivability.

Making a Souls game for example scale like that would be a huge effort and the "cheap" way would break the game, one way or the other.
    Especially as you can level up your character and any weapon you find and be successful that way, the games can be completed with basically any build and weapon.
    No weapon or armor is overpowered to the point it effectively replaces all other weapons once found and leveled up.

I suppose the games could have some variations in enemy spawns where easier difficulties spawn easier enemies more and vice versa but again, the games have a very thought out ramp up in difficulty.
    Almost all encounters are indeed puzzles to be solved having a specific mix of enemies and ways to deal with them.

In short, I doubt FromSoft games would be better by having a selectable difficulty. In fact I believe their success stems largely from them being so uncompromising in their vision and execution.

Last but not least, the "legendary" difficulty is just that, a legend. The games wouldn't be so popular if they were near impossible to complete.
    There's a learning curve but once you get past that, you're in for the ride.

Not to mention in most cases overcoming a challenge isn't about finger dexterity or memorization, but about finding the right strategy and tactic and executing it.
    Bosses rely heavily on pattern recognition but more often than not also have a weakness that can be exploited to some degree at least.

For example bosses whose attacks can be parried can be almost trivialized by parrying. Once you master the timing for it.
    Gwyn being a prime example in Dark Souls 1.

But, that's again a sign of good difficulty = reward the player for mastering the game's mechanics.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    serbicu likes this.
  19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´m an huge souls fan and i don´t agree about the fixed difficulty and for me the games could be even better with an easer difficulty level, for those who just want to experience the game and the lore, and an higher difficulty level for those who want a bigger challenge.

Of course we could say that the game already has an easier and harder levels indirectly on the game but still i think they could improve this aspect.

About the game, it´s only game i´m eagerly anticipating, so bring it on!

Embra and Dragam1337 like this.
  20. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I think people who think the game should have something like a difficulty setting don't understand the impact that would have on the game, frankly.

I don't think Sekiro and DS should be conflated in regard to difficulty though - Sekiro is significantly more challenging from a mechanical skill point of view.