3080 tuf OC ed. Same stutter in apex once/twice a game (w/frametimegraph)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by kman, Jan 6, 2021.

1. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    No thanks il pass.Uninstalled the game once the last driver didn't fix the issue and I can't be bothered to restarting the troubleshoot madness I went trough (spent a whole month on this procreating issue)

Il chuck it to be it a driver issue with the 3080s since the 1080ti on driver 442.49 (my last driver/gpu) didn't have the issue and frametime wise it was smoother.
    Also,looking up 3080+stutter in the search field in the Nvidia forums lots of threads come up with "stutters/micro stuttering" with their 3080 and pretty much all the drivers released for it.Currently using 457.51 which is supposed to be the best one currently and I'm not impressed.

I am wondering if it could be related to how the card boosts tho.A difference I noticed from my old 1080ti is that my current 3080 TUC oc edition starts to lower it's clock MUCH earlier then my 1080ti.Atleast that's the only thing I can think off as I cannot find any other explanation as my temps both for the cpu/gpu barely break 65c and cpu clock doesn't flactuate and I have most power saving features like speedstep/c-states disabled in bios too just as an extra prevention.

For comparison.
    My old1080ti Used to hold 1924mhz untill atleast 70+C then drop to 1911mhz at around the 75c mark and clock was mostly stable to those clocks.
    Current 3080 starts at 1950hz at around 61C but starts to go up and down to the 1800s the moment temps reach 63C which is erratic compared to my old 1080ti that could hold a clock of 1900s until the 75C mark.

Made a comment about it on here bottom comment https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/3080-owners-thread.434251/page-32 if you're curious.

Another thing I noticed while monitoring with gpu-z is when using the rendering test it didn't fully utilize 3.0 bandwidth going from 2.0/3.0 erratically.Could be because my power setting in the NvidiaCP is set to optimal.My games are set to High performance and the bandwidth goes and stays at 3.0
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is this supposed to happen during the render test?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  2. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    It's probably an issue with the game specifically, unless you're seeing these things in other games. The GPU-Z test is definitely too weak for the 3080, it won't tickle it much, which is why power savings etc.. will go into effect.

Check the GPU load when it's downclocking. Sometimes games don't load the 3xxx cards enough and thus the card will drop clocks, often too aggressively which can cause to performance issues. Try to set the Windows power plan to High Performance and the game profile in the Nvidia drivers to Prefer Maximum performance and see if that helps any. But if the game doesn't load the GPU enough, it might still fall back to the "native" boost speed set in the vBIOS (in this case installing a vBIOS with the highest possible "native" boost clock may help, I've noticed it can make a big difference for high and stable framerates on my 3090 Strix and old games that don't tax the GPU much using my Strix BIOS with 1860 "native" boost clock vs. the EVGA Kingpin BIOS with the 1920 "native" boost clock which is fallen back to in such games - but be careful with that). You could also try to increase the GPU load by cranking up settings, forcing FSAA, increasing your display resolution or use DSR, etc..

That said, the 3xxx Series lowers it's boost bins much more aggressively and much earlier than previous series, depending on the temperature (thus it's ideal to watercool these cards), but most of the downclocking depends on the power limit being hit. Did you check if you're hitting the power limit when the massive downclock occurs? If you do, try to max out the power limit and/or "undervolt" the card with the Afterburner curve and see if that helps.

You could also check if setting HAGS to off in Windows and/or changing Low-latency values in the Nvidia Control Panel helps.

If you're using a GPU riser cable, try to remove it and put the card directly into the PCIe slot and see if that helps at all.

It could also be that the PSU doesn't provide enough consistent juice, as the 3080/3090 cards can cause rather high power spikes here and there. A 750W PSU may not be quite up to the task in this case, especially paired with the hungry Core i9 9900K CPU (come to think of it, if you're overclocking the CPU, try to remove the OC and see if that helps). "Undervolting" may help with that, too.

3. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Well I'm not noticing the exact same pattern stutter as in apex on other games but pretty much every game I play has some for of micro stutter ranging from pretty frequent to barely any.(Granted I play games which are known to have these issues which is really sad in retrospective because every game I play has some sort of form of micro stutter)

"Try to set the Windows power plan to High Performance and the game profile in the Nvidia drivers to Prefer Maximum performance and see if that helps any"

Already have High performance profile in the windows power plan and per game bases in the Nvidia control panel.

Hags/low latency are both off and I use no riser since I use 2 seperate cables.My cpu isn't Oc'd either.Max clock my 9900k goes is 4.7ghz

[​IMG] Green means power limit right?Like,I really don't want to mess with power limits/undervolting just to not get possible "micro stutters" that might not even be related.

Would be pretty dissapointing if it was indeed the case and I would consider it a design flaw if it was the actual culprit.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  4. xiOpiye

xiOpiye Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce RTX308
    when i set vram to max i think its not stuttering so much but maybe placebo. I cant understand how driver or game made that changes, becouse everything was fine for me i went sleep and next day boom, stutter. brand new pc and i have that kind of problems. Ill be checking all time that thread maybe somehow guys u find fix for that crap

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    PerfCap Reason in GPUz seems to be:

vRel = Reliability Voltage. The clock is limited by reliability voltage.
    VOp = Operating Voltage. The clock is limited by max operating voltage.
    Pwr = Power limit. The clock is limited by total power limit.
    Thrm = Thermal limit. The clock is limited by temperature limit.
    Util = Utilization. The clock is limited by GPU utilization.

Looks like your clocks are limited by the first two.

6. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I used to get minor stutters long time back and the solution was to remove any monitoring softwares including MSI AB. Haven't had any issues since.

7. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I mean...Those are set by nvidia by default right?

Another wierd thing I noticed is when I upgraded to a 1440p monitor Dell s2721DGF from my old 1080p 144hz g-sync monitor is it seems to be more micro stutter prone.Maybe because the higher resolution stresses the gpu more and limits are reached easier?I'm using blurbuster settings,V-sync on.off ingame,max framelimit -3 for the monitor,same as my old monitor settings.

As in completely uninstall them?I only use msiafterburner to check stuff,not actually changing anything and most of the time I don't have it on.

Honestly so far 3080 has been a bit dissapointing compared to my old 1080ti frametimewise.Granted it could be drivers because searching "stutters/micro stutters 3080" in the nvidia forums puts up quite a number of threads.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  8. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Same graphics card here no problems must be your system setup maybe

9. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition

Any hint or taught of what could be the cause?
    Temps are fine,cpu clock is stuck at 4.7ghz so there's no flactuations.I also don't use 3rd party software in the background besides discord/steam and my windows power profile is set to High performance/(same for games per game bases in the nvidia profile)
    My bios is one of the latest for the motherboard and bios settings are XMP profile 1,synch all cores 47, vvcio,vccsa set both to 1.15 with speedstep/c-states disabled.Asus armory/fast boot also disabled.
    I also have everything under the "gaming" section in the windows settings disabled.

Make's no sense.The only new part in my system from before is the 3080.

10. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    You have your core's of the cpu on enhanced if I get it right try stock instead of the xmp1 profile just to test if the problem is still there

11. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition

No difference with default XMP.

Here's a video with my usual bios settings Wierdly the frametime start going a bit erratic the moment gpu usage goes above the 80% mark.Wierdly not many minor frametime spikes which usually show up while running around from city to city.

Playing wow its much smoother but wow's gpu usage never goes beyond 50%.I noticed the occasional minor frametime spike while playing baldurs gate 3.That game pushes my gpu 80+ almost constantly,It's still nowhere near as microstuttery as Black desert but I noticed the occasional minor frametime spike.

12. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I won't let my GPU go up between 40-60% so I always adjust the ingame settings. BTW did you tried to do a 3DMark stress test and see how that goes?

13. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Don't have the stress test as you need to buy it but I tried timespy and it was pretty smooth as I watched the whole benchmark.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59313958?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If timespy test was smooth does that mean it's the game's fault?

14. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    It would be a indication IMO

15. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Here is a compare on 3DMark we have almost the same excact setup :)

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/18908343/spy/18908911#

I think you are on a different GPU bios tho look at the clock or maybe different driver influance the outcome

16. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I'm using the bios that came with my tuf 3080 OC edition.The card has like 2 bios inside it.One is quiet mode and the other is OC mode (default is OC mode)

Also yea,I think I just happen to play crap optimized games at this point.It's the only logical conclusion I can think off -.-

17. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I installed the latest bios https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...Gaming/TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/ you can check it out it out it's fully automated flash with an exe it only install the bios you are running BTW if you wanne do the dual bios flash you have to repeat the same process with the switch changed to the other bios

18. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    -Further optimize the performance for 0dB fan feature
    -Fixed motherboard “beeping” bug during computer start-up

Is that it?I have no issues with fans/cooling or any beeping but thanks.

19. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Your welcome and I'm waiting for a new bios from them for SAM or how it's called on NVidia side

20. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Bdw I had some spare time and did a quick video of some other issue with apex that manuel deems fit to ignore every time I point it out at him

The nvidia fpslimiter/+fps_max command is not working properly in containing the frametime.Only RTSS can for some reason.This wasn't an issue on driver 442.59.If by chance you see this manuel,I've been trying to point out the issue for quite some time now and considering the last known driver to not have this issue I'm 100% sure of is 442.59 then this issue has been going on for atleast 10+ months.