AMD announces Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB at 479 USD, launches on March 18th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 3, 2021.

1. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, when the crypto slump comes, all I know for sure is, nVidia's CMP cards would be completely useless to us gamers looking for a good deal in the used market.....but, given nVidia's Marketing and PR mastery, pretty sure they'd spin it as a good thing (not sure how, but I have no doubt they can do it).

Meanwhile, waiting for reviews of the RX 6700 XT, I just might get one to replace my VEGA64 RD which is struggling a fair bit at 3440x1440. Not in the immediate future, of course, as prices are just out of this world right now. I've got a kickbutt card now for my gaming needs, so I can afford to hold out....

2. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Unfortunately with FIAT money collapsing (USD, Euro, GBP) crypto is not some bubble or pyramid any more.
    Is here to stay.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Funnily enough crypto is more tangible then FIAT money. :D

4. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    While I was looking at the 6700XT relative performance, since the shots AMD provided are with SAM, I feel dissapointed the more trying to compare it with other current products.
    a) It is a 225W card with 40CU 12GB 192bit but, while the 6800 is 230W card with 60CU with 16GB 256bit bus.

b) It looks slower than the 5700XT reference on Hitman 3 as per Guru3d benchmark. (i always quote last GPU review benchmark).
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_rtx_3060_strix_gaming_oc_review,17.html
    Surely should have had a hefty 30% lead considering higher speeds and new arch?? Let alone with SAM on!!!!!

c) CP2077 numbers look fishy. It shows the card faster than the 6800 by 20%!!!!!! compared to Guru3d latest review (see above).
    Hell is faster than the 6800XT.

e) As fast as the 3090 on Valhala and faster than the 6800????? Could be the SAM but the performance is not consistent across all the benchmarks.

And all this at +20% MSRP over the 5700XT?

5. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    SELL your Vega64 now. It's a miner's card. Worth about 600~700$.

Same mentality in 2017 and look where it went. No. I don't think crypto is ready. We will still use FIAT for many years. Just to give you an idea, ask yourself, how many people know what cryptocurrencies actually are and how many people own any. If you even own some, you are ahead of the curve. Adoption is very small/slow atm.
    FIAT is collapsing because governments are corrupt. "No money -> print/borrow money" mentality. Best example, democrats in the USA.

back when 8800GT took ONE 6pin connector, hahaha... sad.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What makes crypto ready? What's its real value? ...

A lot of questions, very few sane answers.

Crypto in principle is as ready as it was in its inception. Wild west ready of unlimited crypto currency count. It does not matter that there is limited amount of bitcoin when you have 10,000 other crypto currencies around.

What is value of crypto? Fallacious arguments which can't answer it attack FIAT instead. But it is fallacious because value of each world currency has its backing. And that's backing in form of GDP of given country/countries.

So what's GDP of crypto driven work? People selling drugs, weapons, ... death?
    What's total sum of payments to employees who spend time creating value and get paid in crypto currency instead of FIAT?
    Market cap of crypto vs total sum of FIAT currency per product/work which can be used as driving and stabilizing force is very low for crypto. For some crypto currencies, it may be zero.

Imagine dude declaring independence on some newly formed island in middle of ocean and printing his currency. He performs no work for anyone, but is willing to trade his papers for FIAT from other countries. What's value of his used up paper? None.

What if 10,000 people move to his island and start economy with this new currency? All of them work and trade with it every day. Suddenly, external entity can use this new currency to commission work of up to 10,000 people. And that's what changes value of used up paper from nothing to something.

Tell me, anyone. What will be value of any FIAT currency, if anyone and everyone in country that issued it stops creating any value?
    Would you at least want to buy property in country that just made step over the edge to abyss?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    fantaskarsef and Airbud like this.
  7. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Hilarious.

Take a nap boomer.

Kaleid and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  8. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    Fox2232
    Blockchains aka Cryptocurrencies can be a secure store of value. One of many uses.
    You are talking about the principle of money in a very basic way for whatever reason.

AuerX
    Read news? Probably not.

9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    You live in the past not in the present nor preparing for what it coming. You haven't understood yet why you are locked in your house by dictates.
    When they impose to you the new Digital Crypto-Euro/Dollar/Yuan/Ruble/Ruppee within the next 24 months, let me know how it goes. BTC, MON will be safe havens from the total control they are trying to impose upon you.

You are in the majority that will feel lost because your whole world will be collapsing without been prepared even mentaly to face a world without FIAT money.
    See how normal you find right now all the crazy mandates imposed to you, when 18 months ago you will be picking stones to throw at your government demanding freedom and liberty.

See the big picture, everything is connected.

10. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    It's funny that so many people talk about crypto as being the "saviour" of economics... replacing the obsolete fiat, bla bla...
    ... when it depends 100% on the giant technological structure that is the internet, silicon chip production, energy production and transmission, trade agreements between all these involved parties, which obviously happens in fiat.

I would love to see how all these people trumpeting about crypto will actually buy food and medicine with it when there's no electricity and internet (example: Texas last month)

fantaskarsef, Airbud and Fox2232 like this.

11. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    We get out of the discussion subject but crypto is here to stay. It won't crash nor GPU prices will go any cheaper. Prices will only go up due to inflation (60% of USD in circulation was created last 12 months! same applies to 40% of the GBP) and crypto is safe haven even if it has risks.

GPUs suprisingly are good investment atm, as they can generate money and they won't lose value because of the above paragraph.

Ofc if you have the money to buy BTC/ETH/MON first have a plot of land to be able grow potatoes, guns and ammo, silver coins then crypto. Assuming you want to survive the financial armageddon that is coming.

12. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    This may be a rookie question but how does one normally try to make the buying experience anti-bot?

I guess as a seller...like if you’re BestBuy etc

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    It's a whole new world now.

Airbud and Kevin Mauro like this.
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    One GPU per person, per month. Does not matter what GPU it is. Once person pulls trigger, his shopping for GPUs is over for month.
    Should apply to identity. Be it credit card, IP address and shipping address.

Sure, you can give bots to all your friends. And they may be willing to let them run on their PC 24/7 while bot will know their credit details...
    But likelihood is very small.

Practically anyone with linux can easily write own with curl and awk. But even such activity can be detected. They will be running queries periodically. Enabling some anti DDOS settings may actually identify bots and stop them. Yes, person making bot will adjust check and response delays. But when they can't spam shop every 10 seconds for hours/days and long term repeated queries can go only once every 5 minutes, humans have chance.

Airbud likes this.
  15. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Hey thanks! Wow... fascinating stuff. Crazy really (to me at least) I'm glad we have a chance, that people are interested in that thing as a passion and find ways to repel that activity while allowing the transactions of the rest of us at the same time...
    That's true, I feel like we're playing catchup at a rate slower every year

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I wouldn't call it catchup. Best thing you can do right now is just sit back with a glaring eye.

dwight.gif

Airbud, Kevin Mauro and DannyD like this.
  17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I think the nVidia demand is not a nVidia issue but a Samsung issue. Going with Samsungs 8nm has been a supply nightmare.

Undying and DannyD like this.
  18. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Samsung is much better than tsmc and globalfoundries combined.

19. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    It doesn't seem so. I wish too see some numbers on that tho... Total nVidia chips vs total amd chips at same given time for example

20. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Well, it's a smaller die so yields will be better - how many wafers did AMD secure for this chip? Who knows...

The price for the 6700XT should be around £420 (current exchange rate with 20% VAT added). I think this is a reasonable price when you consider the die is a similar size to that of Vega VII which had a $700 MSRP it sold for between £600-£700 here (of course it had HBM hence it's much higher price).

Judging from how the rest of the 6x00 series have sold, AIBs are going to be charging at least £550 for this new card.. The 6800 and the XT are going from at least £650 and that was before the scalpers and miners took all the stock away (which have since driven the prices up even more) so best bet will be to buy direct from AMD, at least in the UK. Overclockers have been awful with their prices and while this is speculation, I believe they've been selling directly to miners, it is after all no secret that their community forums have a very active mining community. CCL have been at least very fair in giving consumers the chance to purchase products but alas their prices reflect supply and demand so their prices have also been awful and Scan... Well... Never seen stock there at all so... Can't really comment.

I hope the 6700XT will be a worthwhile product

Kevin Mauro and DannyD like this.