MSI Z490 Motherboards Open Up for PCIe 4.0 Graphics Cards and SSDs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    I am confused, I thought the CPU and soldered chipset both had to support PCIe 4, 5, 6 etc in order to work correctly? If you go on MSI's web site and look at say the MEG-Z490-GODLIKE mobo specs and expand the detail tab it clearly says only PCIe 3. Are not the physical PCIe slots on the mobo also soldered in a way to be spec 3 or 4 etc? I have always wondered about this and if a new CPU supporting PCIe 5 etc would be able to juice up your PCIe 4 mobo. Personally I always thought it was impossible.

So does this mean those of us with TRX40 mobo's like My self can look forward to the new 5nm TR PCIe 5 CPUs(minus DDR5)!? That be epic!!!! It just seems really weird that this works or is it doing some sort of pass through to the CPU which I suppose is the whole point of the PCIe slots.

Last question In this case with intel above and the PCIe 4 upgrade for Z490 will it also include a RAID upgrade to PCIe 4 support as well? Anyways if this works that is really freaking cool and I have wondered about this forever so it is really cool to see.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you can certainly overbuild your pcb in a way that its forward compatible with newer pcie signalling,

the first Gen 3 boards from intel were originally qualified for gen 2 only.

Fox2232 likes this.
  4. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    If this is the case, then what would be the difference between a Z490 and Z590? Doesn't Z590 have more PCI lanes, or is that a CPU thing?

5. Burgurne

Burgurne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980Ti
    AFAIK the extra lanes for NVMe to be PCIe Gen 4 is comming from the CPU, and therefore you will need the new Gen 11 CPU AND the new BIOS to the mobo to get Gen 4.

6. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Too bad my 10th gen cpu does not really care about all this :(

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You'll be missing this amazing breakthrough in technology intel has with these over 10th gen.

8. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Time to trash my 10900k and get a 11900k. [​IMG]

Undying likes this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Go for it. It will be an amazing upgrade.

Sylencer likes this.
  10. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The CPU has to support pcie 4.0, then the videocard has to supporto pcie 4.0 and your ssd.
    For those 2 components the motherboard has little to do, its work is basically to do not degrade the signal and make it work ( if you are using the cpu direct lines to nvme ).

If you are using the nvme slot on the chipset, then yes, the chipset has to support 4.0 too.

11. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    This is very welcome news. I bought a Z490 MSI GODLIKE but never the 10th gen Intel CPU and its been sitting in the box the entire time. Now I can buy an 11th gen and get 4.0.

12. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    LOL love the troll, awesome. I bought my first non MSI Motherboard in over 10 years and it just happens to be Asus Z490 lol. Anyway I am sure Asus will update BIOS now but Z490 was supposed to be PCI-e 4.0 to start with and Intel did an Intel.

13. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am on a MSI : TRX40 PRO 10G mobo with a 3970x and all native PCIe 4, having said that I never thought there was a possibility to go to PCIe 5(or 3 to 4) with a drop of a new CPU. To My knowledge this has never happened before and I was shocked to see it happen with intel's Z490.

I guess that makes sense so in My cases I am on a full NVMe config and using RAID for all the drives so I will be stuck with PCIe 4 regardless(if AMD does this as well) unless I switch to none RAID and then have partial PCIe 5 and the slots that are chipset paths will be stuck at PCIe 4. So in the case of the Z490 no one can use RAID or they will be set back to PCIe 3, then again I think intel might let you do RAID and none RAID together and it is not like AMD where in the BIOS it's either one or the other(I could be wrong My last intel build was x79).

Anyways I get what you saying and that makes sense, I always thought the actual PCIe slots where different from the actual versions same with the lanes from the NVMe slots soldered on the mobo.

14. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    they need to update their manuals : opens msi z490 godlike everything is pcie 3.0 with the usual "I has no lanes" Intel

trx40 msi creator / Z390 taichi ultimate owner

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I wonder if there will be noticeable difference after nVidia enables BAR support. I would not be surprised if BAR support on PCIe 3.0 erased any performance gain from PCIe 4.0.

16. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Like there is going 2b a big difference in performance while gaming ? probably not worth the upgrade let them beta test all this stuff first not going to upgrade bios if not necessary.