9900k showing 5Ghz Stable but throttling on 100% usage **FIXED** sort of

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by fr33k, Feb 21, 2021.

1. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    is it supposed to do this? i just recently installed a new WC loop which at first was having my idles at around 60C. after a few days the idles have gone down to 42C so i assume the air filled liquid was bringing temps up.
    but now i notice that windows throttles my cpu to 3Ghz(ish) when i run high end games with temps reaching upper 90's. i have looked all over, people suggest that 110C is when it should actually need throttling. There is no air in my loop at all, i managed to get it all out
    what might have i done wrong?

in comparison my old loop would get so hot the top of my case would feel hot because it had lots of dust stuck in the rad blocking airflow- but i don't believe it throttled even at 100C which it would reach with ease.

here is my loop setup in a 6 fan push pull config:
    CASE: Phanteks Enthoo 719
    CPU: Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO CPU Water Block, Intel CPU, Acryl Clean
    RES: Phanteks Glacier R220C Combo Reservoir for DDC Pump
    Rad: Corsair Hydro X Series XR7 360mm Water Cooling Radiator
    Tubing: PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8in. ID x 1/2in. OD Tubing

and before you ask windows is set to high performance and minimum processor state 100% and active cooling in power settings

any more info needed? and any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    ok so i have partially fixed it, i disabled speed step. But it wont stay at 5Ghz in games, it frequently drops to 4.7Ghz.

What am i missing?

*EDIT disabling speed step made prime95 freeze the pc back to the drawing board.

*edit 2 upping my voltage has made it stable again but i still see it going down to 4.2Ghz what could be causing this?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    avx offset

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I suspect either your voltage is too high or your water cooler isnt performing properly.

Turn the fans up high and report back what your idle temp settles to.

fr33k, tfam26 and cucaulay malkin like this.

5. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    i thought so too but it does it in games that don't use avx and my avx offset is supposed to be 4.7 i believe. doesn't really explain the drop to 4.2 and earlier it was dropping to 3Ghz. I must have done something to get it to go back up to 4.2Ghz just not sure what is doing this.

idle temp at 36C with maximum fans. I have a total of 18 fans in my case and it sounds like a leaf blower when they are maxed out lol, My fans will auto max out at 70C anyway so i don't think thats it.
    it seems i didn't win the silicon lottery with my chip because i need to run at 1.35v to make it stable.
    maybe it always did this throttling thing and i just never noticed it before now since i've been tweaking it.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    From what you said about your old cooler baking too and your very high idle temp, it looks like the voltage is too high.
    Back off the overclock a little and reduce the voltage.

I try and keep my temp in the low 70's max.
    High temp with high overclock is a CPU killer.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    386SX and cucaulay malkin like this.
  7. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    My old cooler was bad. Almost 7 years old and I expected it to be hot because I couldn't tell how much dust was in it. Also it had algea in it pretty bad. But reading about my particular chip- it just runs this hot when you max out it's capabilities. Not too worried about the temps myself. It's been running this hot at load since I upgraded almost a year ago.
    I'll try lowering the volts later tomorrow and let you know if it's stable or not.

8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    the problem is the wc it's what the OP says

9. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    lowered the cpu volts to 1.25, stable but still throttling to 4.3Ghz in cinebench for some reason. prime95 takes it to 4.7 like it should due to avx offset but im still at a loss as to why it would throttle so low especially since prime95 is working just fine.

*edit my voltage is actually going down as temps go up. It goes down to 1.1

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Above 85C it will start thermal throttling.
    https://linustechtips.com/topic/1055216-what-temp-does-the-i9-9900k-start-thermal-throttling/
    You may be able to disable some or all of it in the bios, but I would take it as a warning sign and back off the overclock a bit more, or improve the cooling.

Make absolutely sure you have good flow rate in your loop, your rad has no air in it and **the CPU block is very well planted on the CPU.
    Dont overdo the tightening but make sure it is "able" to have good contact.
    ie theres nothing in the way preventing the surfaces properly mating.
    Or the mounting mechanism you are using for the block cant get close enough due to its design not letting it screw down enough.

11. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    there is definitely no bubbles traveling through the cpu block, i've been watching that closely. only a few micro bubbles trapped in the res by a bend and quite a bit of airration showing up in the res chamber, so it could still be settling, seems like its gonna take a month to do that.
    i will probably not mess with it any more. i did a lot of google searching and this seems to be a common issue. must just be par for the course here. its not too big of a deal just was hoping to get all i could out of this setup.

also when mounting the block i definitely checked the seating of it quite a lot, i just tightened the bolts till they stopped moving with no force, just judging from normal use and no oc the temps are great so its all about the oc and its common with this cpu, search reddit for it you get dozens of posts on it. guess its just the way the cpu was designed.

12. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Delid it and run direct die.

13. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    thats a tad out of my comfort zone tho i've noticed thats been recommended quite a bit. thanks though.

14. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Understood.

However, with a quality delidding tool and direct die frame kit such as RockitCool, and a little patience, it is quite easy.

Not trying to convince you, but here is my 9900K running P95 small FFT. 5000MHz, no AVX offset.

p95 294b8 small fft 11-11-20.jpg

15. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    Many factors some chips won't run stable at certain frequency no matter what voltage you through in.
    are you sure is 100% stable?

16. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Asus board?

17. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    not any more im not, since i didn't really monitor it before. but it never crashed before the change. it crashes now.
    yes
    i decided to tone down my overclock to 4.7 and that seems to be fully stable now, however in AC odyssey it will go down to 4.4GHz until it normalizes or something i dunno. i gave up anyway. its either the aeration or i need another radiator.

18. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

You didn't leave multicore enhancement enabled on accident did you? :D

19. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    tried both enabled and disabled.
    disabled causes the OC to go down to 4.4GHz and stay there (in AC:Odyssey)
    enabled it will frequently go back and forth from 4.7 to 4.4.

20. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    btw i disabled my oc entirely and just used XMP + 3200Mhz ram.

not only does it now stay at 4.7 all the time but it doesn't overheat anymore either.
    i don't get it.