Can't install RTX 2080 driver on Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by UzY3L, Feb 23, 2021.

1. UzY3L

UzY3L Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080/8GB
    Hello,

I'm trying to install the driver on Windows 8.1. It is a work system running custom software and cannot be upgraded or downgraded to either Windows 7 or Windows 10 but I did upgrade the GPU, from a GTX 1060 to an RTX 2080. Raytracing is not something I want or need, I just want to get the GPU driver installed.

Steps taken:

-Use the Windows 7 drivers;
    -Mod the .INF files with the exact HWID of the card;
    -Tried the Win 10 drivers;

None of the above worked, so:

-Made live Win 7 USB stick;
    -Made live Win10 USB stick;
    -Doesn't install on Windows 7 live USB with Windows 7 drivers;
    -Installs on Windows 10 live USB with both Windows 7 and Windows 10 drivers (lol,wut?)

Errors I get on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 is: The NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows / The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

Device ID in Windows Device Manager is:
    VEN_10DE&DEV_1ED0&SUBSYS_77101558&REV_A1

which should match with the driver in nvcvi.inf of both the Win7 and Win 10 driver packages:

%NVIDIA_DEV.1ED0.7710.1558% = Section172, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1ED0&SUBSYS_77101558

NVIDIA_DEV.1ED0.7710.1558 = "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080"

Driver packages I've tried, for both Windows 7 and Windows 10:

I'm probably doing something wrong, though I have no idea what. I've tried the sticky .INF modding thread but that didn't work or I botched something.

Can someone please help me with this issue?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Turing works natively on windows 8.1 with the W7 driver, without modifications.

Bring the machine fully up to date and try to install drivers only after this.

You cannot install drivers on W7 live usb's because they are either Pre SP1, or SP1 without Sha 256 support (needs to be updated to atleast Dec 2019)

The Windows 10 live usb is probably older than 1709 which does not support Turing.

Subsys ID's are only relevant to Laptops, on Desktop the basic device id string will be used which is VEN_10DE&DEV_1ED0.

unless this is a laptop running a EGPU, which then you're SOL, Turing is only supported on windows 10 in egpu.

If this is a card, return it, you have been sold a counterfeit that is using the SKU of a laptop

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    UzY3L and Kevin Mauro like this.
  3. UzY3L

UzY3L Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080/8GB
    Hy, Astyanax,
    I forgot to mention: my work system is a Clevo P775TM1G. The card is N18E-G3R-A1 on an MXM slot I think. I don't know that much about the hardware side of this system. Don't know if that's an eGPU or not because I don't know what an eGPU is. If you can, please explain it to me. Google only shows me boxes with a PSU to put a desktop GPU in them and link it to your laptop.

Afaik, the system is up-to-date but I'll check again. The images used for testing were also the latest but I could be wrong. I'll redownload and try again. I'll need to do a full system image before I can try anything with this system, I'll be in deep if I break something.

Thank you for the help!

4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Yours is indeed a laptop GPU. Perhaps the folks at laptopvideo2go.com will have a modified .inf or driver that works for you or can give you some advice since they specialize in such things.

I'm not sure about your model, but it may be that you need a (potentially modified) BIOS and/or compatible vBIOS update for your laptop to fully support the GPU (that depends on the exact make and model of your MXM card/GPU as well as the laptop, though, I don't have any experience with your particular laptop). Perhaps you can find some information on sites like notebookreview.com.
    Since you said it works fine on Windows 10, that likely isn't the case. Although, did you install Windows 10 in UEFI mode or Legacy mode and did you do the same with Windows 7/8.1 or is it the other mode? If you didn't use the same mode for both, you could try other. I remember laptop drivers for some GPU upgrades requiring one mode or the other back in the day (I don't remember which one it was) and I think that for older OS you may need different OS Install Media/Images for UEFI and Legacy mode.

On a side note, an eGPU is an external GPU that you connect to the laptop/PC via thunderbolt, for example.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    UzY3L likes this.

5. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Don't use Windows 8.1

Nekrosleezer likes this.
  6. UzY3L

UzY3L Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080/8GB
    @Cave Waverider: Thank you for the explanation and for the redirection. I'll check out laptopvideo2go. The card is a 150W model and should be at least close to a desktop RTX 2070 in performance(ex: Far Cry 5 - 120FPS). That is, if I can get it to work :)
    I installed both Windows 7 and Windows 10 in UEFI mode. This system is hard-locked to run in lowest performance mode in Legacy mode (ex: CPU will not go over 800MHz).
    I can confirm now that the .ISO images used are the latest. The driver for windows 7 doesn't work in windows 7 but works in 10. Probably an .INF issue or something. I don't know, I'm just guessing.
    My time running these live USBs on the system is limited, I'm just doing it for troubleshooting this issue. Has to work somehow, it's not like I'm trying to run a GTX Titan with Windows 98 here :))

@bishi : I swear, on every single post on the internet about using an older OS there is one person stating "just don't use -insert windows version here-".
    I can't. This isn't my system. I can't upgrade, or downgrade or do anything to it besides change the hardware and even there I'm limited to what works without touching the OS.

And on the off-topic of Windows 8.1, if you install Classic Shell for the start menu and disable the useless corners and touchpad shortcuts, it is very user friendly, much like Windows 10 isn't.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but my guess is you are a single user/home user and you didn't experience Windows 10 in a work environment, where you can see how it runs on hundreds of systems at once all with different users and uses and how it behaves.
    So thank you, bishi for your comment

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I don't think nvidia has code support for the 20 series MXM cards in their 7 or 8 driver, because they are MSHybrid instead of Optimus spec.

UzY3L likes this.
  8. Arnox

Arnox Guest

GPU:
    Quadro RTX 4000
    Oh look, more procreating Nvidia driver bullshit.

If you haven't yet, try installing the Quadro RTX driver here. You will probably have to modify an inf file to do so though.

9. UzY3L

UzY3L Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080/8GB
    @Astyanax : I had no idea. I do find it fascinating and weird at the same time that they would make a driver for other OSes and not this one. Thank you.

@Arnox : Thank you. As soon as my work schedule permits, I'll give it a try. These attempts take long though, since I have to do a 1:1 image of the system on every attempt.

I'm also attempting to find someone of Fiverr to mod the drivers to work on Windows 8. If that happens, I'll post the results here.

10. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    and modded inf driver work new gpus in old windows 10? 1703 for example?

11. Arnox

Arnox Guest

GPU:
    Quadro RTX 4000
    If you do find someone on Fiverr and they do come through, let me know because I'll pay them as well to get the RTX 30xx Windows 7 driver to work on Windows 8.1.

12. UzY3L

UzY3L Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080/8GB
    After 3 days of trying and almost giving up literally 3 hours ago, I finally found a way to get it working.
    *Step-by-step instructions below:
    *if an option is listed and it is not detailed below, do NOT use it unless you know what you're doing. The below worked for me after many, many failed attempts

1. Download nvidia-geforce-graphics-driver-lite-472.12-win8-win7-64bit-standard-28-09-2021 from PureSoft apps - https://puresoftapps-nvidia.blogspot.com/2021/09/nvidia-geforce-graphics-driver-47212.html - more drivers available to suit your needs

2. Download NVCLEANinstall - https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-nvcleanstall/

3. Run the drivers downloaded from step 1

4. Do NOT try to install those drivers when prompted by the setup

5. Run NCLEANinstall

6. Select "Use driver files on disk"

7. Click on "Browse"

8. Select "setup.exe" from the folder generated in step 3

9. Click on "Next"

10. A list of components to install will be shown. Select "HD Audio via HDMI" and anything else you might like. I chose HVENC and HvFBC also.

Do NOT select PhysX. It will cause the installer to fail. You can download and install PhysX separately

11. Click on "Next"

12. Select "Add hardware support"

13. From the "Template" list, search the for the start of your DEV. In my case, it was "1ED0" which matches with "RTX 2080 with Max-Q design". For compatibility's sake, for being fed up with the hoops I'm made to jump through and for being tired, I chose that one.

14. Right below the "Template" drop-down list, there is an option called "Id" and next to it is a greyed-out option called "Installed: DEV_****". It will be YOUR card's device ID

15. Even though it is greyed out, click on "DEV_****"

16. Click on "Name" and put a name for the card as it will show up in Device Manager with this name. Mine was "burn in hell nvidia - driver"

17. Leave the "Rebuild digital signature" checkbox alone.

18. Click on "Next"

19. Use the "Show in folder" option to copy the new driver setup to a folder of your choice; Also, use the "Build package" option to create an .exe installer for this custom driver.

20. Install your creation.

21. Click on "Install anyway" in case any prompt shows up. Reboot when prompted.

22. Google: "Physx download" and....download and install PhysX

23. Grab two drinks: one is to nurse the headache, the other is to celebrate this small victory.

Have steps to install Windows 7 in UEFI mode on modern systems and/or to multiboot Win10/8.1/7 if anyone's interested also.

Hope the steps above help. Cheers!

chinobino likes this.