Who needs a 3080 if you can get GeForce Now..

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Ne1l, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    I'm a GTX1080Ti owner and I really wanted a 3080 after the initial reviews..

I was fully prepared, all be it a little reluctantly, to upgrade my PC rig at the same time (Currently E5-2695 v3 with bios hack for Turbo @3.3GHz on all 14 cores) 64GB EEC, 1TB NVMe and a Fusion2 IO 1.4TB..

When I couldn't get a 3080 I thought I'd get an Xbox Series X so I could play CyberPunk 2077. It then turns out Series X just makes the Xbox One Version of the game 'playable' but still looks 'last gen'... (my Daughter was complaining about Minecraft loading times on the xbox one so easy sell to the misses)

Then I stumbled upon GeForce Now.. for the same cost as the xbox version, I'm was playing the PC version @1080p with RTX Ultra with a 6 months subscription to GeForce Now!

I then doubled down and bought a Nvidia Shield TV Pro, so now playing Cyberpunk 2077 @4K (AI Upscaled) RTX Ultra and it's as smooth as butter on my LG B9 4K TV for half the price of a 3080 - and a 10th of the money I would have spent on a new PC rig.

Let the miners have this generation of GPU's, if you need RTX then play those few games on 'GeForce Now' and let Nvidia invest the profits so the next GPU's can play games 4K RTX Ultra @120fps at the xx60Ti level.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    alanm, DannyD and insp1re2600 like this.
  2. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    Well, not really. Probably the ridiculous situation with 3XXX series could make you think that but no.

For starters, GeForce now is not for all titles.They might seem like a lot of them, but that doesn't mean the games you want to play are there, and they could be pulled from there (as it has happened) whenever publishers think they want a bigger part of the cake than what Nvidia is giving them.

Second, same as Stadia, quality is whatever. They can say whatever about RTX Ultra hyper mega good but that's how it is. And add video compression in top of that. And pray it doesn't get too popular and start lowering bitrates beacuse they can't handle the demand (I'm looking at you HBO).

Also while game streaming is intriguing and it could be the future of gaming, just like Stadia, GFN isn't Netflix. You have to buy the games, and you are renting the hardware. And you are not getting HW that's specally good. A good PC will be much better. A console will be more cost efficient.

Cyberpunk is not a good measure of anything. It's a piece of trash that got pulled from PS store and should have been pulled from everywhere. No PC or console is going to make it look good and run at anything that's not crap FPS. And if what you want is playing it (why would anyone want that broken crap??) at whatever quality, lower resolution and scaling you don't need a 3080 for that.

That said, you are right on 2 things, prices on 2XXX series was stupid, and is even more stupid on 3XXX. And in top of that they can't be found anywhere, which makes the few of them available even more expensive,and it gets even more stupid. I can't wait for Nvidia and AMD to release dedicated mining cards and gaming cards which are completely crippled for mining. 3060 is supposed to have it, so luckily it will become the norm in the future.

Second, streaming will probably have a place in gaming. Neflix, HBO, Disney... they really proved it could be done for movies and series, so why not games. However, if they expected people to pay for subscrption AND individual movies they would have gone down already. Which is why Stadia is doing like crap, and surviving only on Alphabet's (Google's) infinite money. The day game streaming is more like Netflix it might get interesting, but with the current situation I don't think so.

Airbud likes this.
  3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    If it works for you and your particular setup that's what matters, happy to hear it all runs well, thanks for posting.

alanm, tfam26 and Ne1l like this.
  4. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli

Just to clarify, as it sounds like you've never personally seen games running on an Nvidia Shield TV Pro with optimized 4K AI upscaling at both ends of the pipe (at the datacenter and then Shield) -- Cyberpunk is smooth as butter and looks stunning.

On PC you need to buy a game on Steam, Epic or GOG, you then link your Steam, Epic or GOG account to GeForce Now -- no need to buy on Nvidia's store too.

As I mentioned I have a GTX1080Ti bought on the day of release, (980Ti before that) and a 2560x1440p G-sync monitor, and a 65" OLED LG (supports G-sync too) -- I'm not easily pleased when it comes to fidelity.

You can try GeForce Now @1080p without RTX for free, I suggest you give it a go, even if it's just to marvel at how responsive games are.

There are a few reviews on YouTube where they take a good long hard look at it, not just assume it can't be that good and 'local must be better'.. no worries I was the same till I tried it a few days ago. (1) Cyberpunk 2077 Nvidia Shield TV PRO 4k AI UPSCALING With Ray Tracing Showcase! (RTX ON) | GeForce Now - YouTube

Still have my GTX1080Ti to play all the games not available on GeForce Now but most RTX games are - so no need to buy the current GPU generation, which was the point of my post :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    HandR likes this.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    cause ps4 is a piece of trash by today's standards
    trying to run this on a 1.8tflop gpu and old ass amd cpu is an impossible task.

6. Eero

Eero Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Maybe if you are playing with tv and gamepad it's good, but for me it wasn't even close to the high refresh rate uncompressed feed that I get with my RTX 3080.

7. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    If you already have a 3080 then Streaming wouldn't make sense, however the Nvidia shield TV Pro is a 1/5th (at least) of the price of a 3080.

"for me it wasn't even close" -- have you 'actually' tried it 4k on both the Shield and 3080? (interested, not being argumentative!)

If Cyberpunk on a 3080 4k can only muster 50fps'ish (Nvidia's own benchmarks) then the slight difference isn't enough for me to worry about. Now if it was 4K HDR @120fps (limit of my TV) then I'd have a bit of a dilemma.

The side benefit of being able to play Cyberpunk or Valheim smoothly on my ancient Nvidia Shield Tablet or my phone is a cool novelty too.

8. Eero

Eero Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No, I tried with my PC monitor.

9. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I was a 1080Ti owner, 3080 now, and i can happily say that everyone needs a 3080 even if they can get a geforce now.
    If you had the money to get a 1080 Ti back then, you're the kind of person that won't settle for geforce now. Really odd thread i might add, you're basically
    implying that everyone who wants a 3080 is a gamer. I got mine due to vray rtx realtime preview, which is around 8 times faster than my 1080 Ti. What good
    would the geforce now do? Can geforce now edit 6k or even 8k footage in premiere? Can it output 4k resolution in games? Can it give you the satisfaction of seeing 4k HDR maxed out?

smh

10. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Geforce now is not available world wide, people need hardware

11. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    You dont need a 3080 to play 4k....my Msi rtx3070 gaming xtrio paired with my Ryzen 5800x and 32gig of Gskill 3600 cl15(running cl14) plays the division2 @4k with mixture of high/ultra settings smooth as butter at 60hz, death stranding is the same not to mention farcry 5, ghost recon wildlands and Sniper3, also Observation looks amazing maxed out @4k.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    To be fair, 3080 isn't available either.

kx11 and Airbud like this.
  13. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I got lucky :) overpayed a bit tho :rolleyes:

14. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    Any PC made in the last 7 years should be good to go!

PC HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS
    • Dual core x86-64 CPU with 2.0GHz or faster
    • 4GB of system memory
    • GPU that at least supports DirectX 11

15. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    As I mentioned, for 4K Ai upscaling you need a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and yes it supports HDR too.

If you also need a GPU for professional work, then this online service might be the equivalent solution. RTX Studio: Adobe Creative Cloud Membership Offer | NVIDIA << anybody needing to edit 8k footage should probably get a Quadro A6000 to be fair (Nvidia/Adobe cripples GeForce performance unless you hack the ini if I recall correctly)

I've used Nvidia Maximus Technology on my workstation (K5200 with 2x K40c's) on an HP Z820 back in the day (so display and compute cycles were optimized), I know my stuff even at the extreme end. I also know niche users are as rare, if not rarer than this current GPU generation ;-)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021

16. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    So you tried a Nvidia Shield TV Pro attached to your monitor?

If you didn't have an Nvidia Shield TV Pro or a paid subscription you were looking at 1080p without RTX.

It wouldn't be remotely close unless you game on your 3080 @1080p and without RTX.

17. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    there is no way in hell i'd ever even consider streaming games. I like to own my own games.

18. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Also dependent on quality of internet connection and/or if you want to play games offline

19. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    You link your Steam, Epic or GOG account to GeForce Now, therefore you can still own your own games... nothing is different unless you choose to buy them on the Nvidia store.

20. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    i bet i can't play any rockstar game on it.