GeForce 461.72 WHQL drivers: download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Alberto_It, Feb 25, 2021.

1. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    442.59 is also one of the last drivers where the Nvidia fps limiter is working properly with some games like Apex and I don't know if there's more games that are effected by such a wierd issue. (frametime wise) Heard one of the 451.XX is also ok but I only tested up to 442.59 and jumped straight to 456+

Here is the issue.Video starts with the game just using the nvidia fps limiter.The frametime is erratic which shouldn't be and it isn't on driver 442.59.Using the RTSS fps limiter fixes the issue as you can see.Frametime gets controlled to a 7ms and the camera ingame becomes smooth when looking around.

This is just 1 quick example for the sake of showing the issue super fast but the issue also doesn't go away if you disable reflex ingame either.The issue it tied to the driver.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-46172-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/ few ppl mentioned it too.The nvidia fps limiter from what I can tell can't control the frametimes on Apex even if the fps is stuck at 140fps while RTSS can and this issue started somewhere around the 442.59 drivers.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    enkoo1 likes this.
  2. LOVEandROCKETS

LOVEandROCKETS Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Thanks for the useful info!

461.72 weren’t working properly with my GTX 1660 Ti.

My system runs on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 fully updated and set for unsigned drivers.

Latest update was KB4601347 from February 9, 2021 (Monthly Rollup).

It has been working as a fully stable piece of software, with ZERO Critical, Error or Warning Events.

I’ve never, ever, run into this issue.

Now, back to 461.40 and everything’s fine again – will wait for the next proper signed drivers for 7.

Take care.

pharma likes this.
  3. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Same ...

4. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE

5. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Do you share your PC with other people in your household?

6. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Yeah, I checked Apex and it's also quite erratic on my end while RTSS is stable. Tested with HAGS enabled.
    If Reflex is supposedly the cause then not surprising that 442 works fine, Reflex isn't supported on these drivers. Sharpening also had different issues in drivers past 442.
    But Nvidia's limiter is also quite scuffed in the first place; not allowing decimal values, requiring game restart for changes to apply etc.

kman likes this.
  7. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Nope I'm the only one using it

8. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    How long do you have to play for the game to freeze?

9. r_beans

r_beans Member

GPU:
    I have been getting some crashes when running Unity games on my RTX 3080, both EFT and Valheim can lock up my PC once in a while.

The issue started in January.

10. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    You would think the issue would be fixed by now.If the last confirmed driver to not have this issue is 442.59 (possibly 451.XX) that's like 10+ drivers so far without a fix :/

11. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Is there anyway you could cut off windows 7/8/8.1 totally to force people to upgrade so we can have a bit more of a streamlined driver? (partially trying to provoke windows 7/8 hermits and genuinely partially wondering if this would make Nvidias life easier and our framerates higher)

12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Are you really that ignorant? With 100 million pc's using Windows 7, Nvidia will support Windows 7/8/8.1 until Microsoft ends extended support in 2023.

LOVEandROCKETS and Dan Longman like this.
  13. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Oooh that's quite soon, excellent.

Xtreme512 likes this.
  14. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    After install of a new driver I get a freeze within 10 min of playing fortnite

15. Aldek

Aldek Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080 (UV)
    Of course! It is known fact that reduced support for old systems improves performance on current systems by 200%!
    Streamlined driver just helps to reduce support cost.

LOVEandROCKETS likes this.

16. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm having a lot of crashes in OUTRIDERS demo, HDR is on and Spotify is playing in the background, i get UE4-Madness error

17. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    When I install this driver using NV Slimmer (default settings), the resolution on my 2k monitor is set to 640x480 after reboot.

Back to 461.40.

18. SyntaX

SyntaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Vulkan drivers do not have WHQL certificates.

work around, not fix.
    what its actually working around is unknown.

I can start the game (via steam) from a cleared shader cache folder and not see any long ass load times or stutters,

have you moved the shader cache to a slow spinner or is it in the default location?
    do you have both steam and epic versions installed and move between them?
    do you have a dramless ssd at all?

increase the pagefile size.

Defective hardware.

Unstable graphics card or memory, the internet would be flooded with fortnite freeze complaints otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  20. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Unstable graphics card or memory, the internet would be flooded with fortnite freeze complaints otherwise

Where did you get that from ? no unstable graphics card or memory here all games work except fortnite after installing a new driver fyi