Outriders

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by UnrealGaming, Feb 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    It ain't, my fps drops hard in that town with the 3080, i'll try what you said.

2. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    Gears of War I think they mean.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I meant Gears of war :)

imo foliage looks really bad and dated, in cinematics its great, and it's what I expected it to be by default, not a downgraded version

4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    And i wondered why this game needs DLSS..

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Mistaken the game with deathloop. Seems thats the arkane new ip.

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, Deathloop is Arkane's new game. Coming out in May.
    I'm excited for that one.

As much as I love People Can Fly's past work on Painkiller and BulletStorm, I'm going to skip Outriders.
    This style of game does nothing for me. I hated Destiny and others like it.

7. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I like people can fly but this is a very generic feeling title so far. Just seems very 'meh' to me.

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    PCF were hired by Square Enix to make this game.
    Not sure how much of it is actually their own design, or how much was "Publisher wants this".

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Looks and feels last-genish. We'll have to see the endgame though.

10. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    OG People Can Fly devs left the studio and formed a new one called ''The Astronauts''. Their next game is called ''Witchfire''.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    So much noise for this game. Go to work. It is so generic. If you want "next gen" graphics' feeling play bright memory. It is ue based and plays quite smooth too.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Downloaded this last night but only played about 30 minutes this morning. Pleased that the game looks very nice (character models look a bit so-so though with plasticky looking skin and odd-looking eyes) on maxed out settings but yet maintains a mostly locked 60 fps on my ageing GTX 1080 Ti and i7-4770K PC. Feels very Mass Effect so far with the U.I. of Destiny (the cursor thing). Got to say that it looks very interesting...

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    All female faces look like men, wtf..SJW is really strong with this one.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Actually, the original PCF team behind Painkiller has split far more then that.
    After Painkiller, several people left and formed The Farm51, making NecroVisioN. They've since made several titles, and are now finishing up Chernobylite's Early Access.

Shortly after, more left and joined up with former CDPR people, forming Flying Wild Hog. Making Hard Reset and the Shadow Warrior reboot series.

And after BulletStorm, a couple people left, building a team and forming The Astronauts.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Oh dear, played this for a couple of hours then turned it off in disgust at a section that just threw four or five bullet-spongy enemies that ran straight at me while other enemies where also firing, what I can only describe as, gatling guns at me. It was at this point that I realised that this wasn't the Mass Effect sequel that I'd always wanted but another uninspired Gears of War clone with set-piece "rooms" all separated by loading screens and a cutscene.

Maybe the game opens up further on but on the basis of this then I am not interested. Just feels so... I hate to say it... ordinary and certainly not as interesting as the premise suggested. This guy arrives on a new planet after an 83 year cryogenic sleep, something happens on the planet that forces him back into cryo sleep after what seems like 30 minutes then when he wakes up it's like he is in the middle of World War I. It is just so jarring. It's like someone swapped the game from Mass Effect wannabe to a Gears of Wars clone while he slept!

It would have worked if the characters were more interesting and the dialogue better written but sadly this all seems designed around co-op gameplay and the single player just isn't as immersive or exciting as I'd hoped. This definitely is NOT Mass Effect. It's a cover shooter that feels more akin to an on-rail light gun game: take cover, pop up to shoot the baddies, reload, repeat until dead, advance a bit, repeat until the next cutscene triggers. The loot is not even that interesting and it seems very sparse during the first 2.5 hours.

Does it get better? Is it worth persevering with or is it really just like Gears of Wars?

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Tried to play this today, but was very disappointed. Hard to believe this was made by People Can Fly.
    The game looks very generic. Graphics, gameplay and characters seem to just copy from better games.
    It's very uninspired.
    Performance wasn't great, so that's another minus.
    The tutorial is a pain to go trough. And to make things worse, I found a bug that didn't let me toggle weapons during the combat tutorial.
    So I had to quit the game and restart. Very annoying, considering how boring the tutorial is.
    To make things even worse, there's no option to disable motion blur. And no option to enable toggle ADS.
    Is a rather mediocre game.

moab600 likes this.
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Big departure from their usual games seems to be the problem. They should have keept at what they are good at. Silly over the top first person games.

18. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Seems like GOW clone minus the thrills and fun, it's very simple and generic so far.

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm having a lot of crashes, HDR is on and Spotify is playing in the background, i get UE4-Madness error

20. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    to elaborate a bit on this, it was one of the co-founders...adrian chmielarz, creative director. the guy is hilarious...very outspoken individual, great writer.

anyway obviously its not 2004 anymore and the team that made painkiller has mostly dispersed, but i still have a soft spot for people can fly. i really hated a lot of recent changes to destiny, so ive been looking forward to this game. unfortunately i cant run the demo because either it doesnt support win7 or theres a very odd bug, but either way the exe is calling a function that doesnt exist just to look up what language my OS is set to...the function fails, the kernel dll hook fails, the exe wont initialize, game doesnt start.

i looked over the game executable very briefly in IDA disassembler and resource hacker just kind of skimming to see if anything jumped out at me but from a cursory glance i cant tell if the requisite win7 dll hook is even compiled. if thats by design, its quite a questionable decision considering they already took the time to write a DX11 codepath in addition to their DX12 renderer...

anybody got win7 and the demo running?