Judge orders Valve to hand over Steam data

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Ghosty, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    With the on-going dispute between Apple and Epic games in regards to Fortnite being pulled from the Apple store. It appears that Steam had been dragged in to the slugfest. A judge has ordered Valve to hand over private data.

Valve has until March 4 to comply.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Apple, rotton to the core.

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I see what you did there. Well there is a bite taken out of the Apple....

Valve don't really have much time to comply or respond with/to the order, intrestingly.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Did court provide actual reasoning for this request?

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Caesar and screwtech02 like this.
  7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    What any of the data has to do with Epic, only Apple or the judge knows the answer to that. All they need to do is go on to the store page and look.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I would plainly argue that data are Trade Secret obtained through years of operation.
    And that Valve could/would lose competitive edge by sharing them.

Because such data fall under Trade Secrets.

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    "Data is the new oil". It seems that quote is quite true now.

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So Apple and Epic have a fight and Steam has to give over their data... makes total sense.

carnivore, Keitosha and HonoredShadow like this.

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    You would have thought that the case was between Epic and Apple, like you'd normally see in a court of law. There is a defendant and a prosecutor.

12. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    If I was Valve I would plain refuse as CEO I would get prosecuted for doing so and take it to the highest level tell Apple and the judge to go knit farts, this information is non of apples concern nor is it in any way remotely relevant to the ongoing issue between EPIC and APPLE, once again it looks like Apple is being protected by the US Govt, just like they were when they decided a rounded corner rectangle was a design Trademark or an Ipad was an original Idea when the same featured Years earlier in Movies

HonoredShadow likes this.
  13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As not much good for the customer will come out of any of that, will my friend Nicholas Cage help me out here real quick?

[​IMG]

Fox2232 likes this.
  14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    436 games in total Apple has requested info on. So yeah.... This isn't about Epic at all.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Epic can go frack them selves, They saying there doing all for end consumer which BS this all cause there GREEDY and want more money and dont want to pay royalties android/iOS platform, when it wasnt for those 2 there majority of there Mobile games "sales" would be none existent in firstplace, talk about bite hand that feed them.

Last I check epic is take royalties from everyone that releases game on there OWN Storeo_O, Every Platform has the right to take royalties use there platform including EPIC, if they dont want to pay said royalties they dont have to be on said platform and lose out on income. Regardless if it App/Game or in game purchases.

Unreal Engine is only reason Epic is even still around these days, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021

16. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    We all know what to do. My kid isn't a Fortnite player, mostly because of his parents but I bet barely anyone else moaning about EGS stops their own kids playing Fortnite out of principle.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If kids need to calm down from all that mental trash in Fortnite, and can't live without shooters, they should play Division 2 or better Payday 2.
    Because there they can start in action way, but in time, they'll explore more subtle, tactical, intelligent ways.

We've completed entire original thing on Death Wish... Stealth approach really works.
    And I just checked that we did not play 4 years. There are so many achievements now.

18. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    This is good and also they will know where to hide food in the house lol. I found a marmite sandwich inside a plastic train yesterday. Stealth!

Fox2232 likes this.
  19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Epic is claiming that Apple charging 30% commission is "anti-competitive".... Apple is trying to obtain data from Steam to prove that a 30% commission is not anti-competitive. That makes the Steam data relevant....sort of... Apple is still anti-competitive because they don't allow any competition at all on their "platform".

The problem is, Apple doesn't permit competition in any form. Apple effectively has a monopoly on iOS app distribution.... If Microsoft attempted the same thing with Windows, they'd be facing an anti-trust suit.... And no, the number of users isn't a consideration. The consideration is lack of competition and taking direct steps to ensure lack of competition....which Apple does.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    This has nothing to with APPLE not allow other to put app store in there own STORE this has everything to do with EPIC not want to pay on any transactions done in game on APP that threw iOS. Which whole reason EPIC sued im first place cause they didnt want pay % on the all tranastions done.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021