BioWare & EA Pull the Plug on Anthem NEXT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue to keep t...

BioWare & EA Pull the Plug on Anthem NEXT

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    EA acting like EA.

*shocked pikachu face.jpg*

Don't pre-order EA published video games anymore.

Kosmoz likes this.
  3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    The "Bob Dylan of videogames", ladies and gentlemen. It ends not with a bang, but a prolonged sad fart.

Kosmoz likes this.
  4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Anthem was a copycat of many game without soul... wasn't expected much for it.

Solfaur likes this.

5. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    I have a copy of it laying around that came with an old component as a bundle or something to that effect... sorry - the point being wasn't this game struggling to find its legs from the start? This isn't surprising news EA being the publisher or not it's hard to sell it as an investment. Lol god can't believe now that includes selling those investments to Saudi Arabia... Would you like us to continue making Anthem? - Hell no! make a Formula One game! (I hear they love formula racing)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    We got Anthem. We played a bit. And then we stopped. Game was not interesting.
    What's the point of story which leaves like 90% of players disengaged? It became just empty talk in between repetitive missions.
    Sure, there were Big Boss fights. But as whole, game had no soul and nothing interesting to do with classes.

But worse games are still alive and sadly have future. Like Destiny 2 on PC. Game controls are like garbage port from console. Character and gear progression is not intuitive and punishing for not being online every day.
    Mission zones are rip-off from 1st Destiny with a twist of being worse.

When game misses real quality testing. And has poor customization or punishes players which do not follow intended use/monetization model, game becomes trash.
    And many games are developed and released in state where they are trash at Day 1.

I often wonder how is that even possible. Who is running those studios? People with no experience, objectivity and no self-reflection to admit that they should ask gamers who actually spend time playing games and can tell what they like and dislike.
    What's too little and what's too much in game mechanics, dialogues, ... .

Maybe EA should fix root cause by pulling plug on EA.

7. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    EA killing itself would cause me to chuckle a lot, I'll admit that.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    That's the result of publicly traded companies. EA isn't beholden to players as customers, they report to the board of investors and those don't care about good games. They care about microtransactions and extra monetization to get as much growth as possible. If it dives people away from an IP, they'll just kill it and invest into something else.

That's why the best games really come from small or medium studios in the past couple of years/decade, at least in my opinion.

__hollywood|meo and Fox2232 like this.
  9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Why is anyone blaming EA at this point? Bioware seems to have been left untouched to do their own thing, and this is the third time in a row they screw up. If anything, EA should be done with them.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I prefer games instead of "services" anyway.

11. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Well thus far games as a service model is struggling yet companies keep pushing money into it
    • Stadia is not reviewing well
    • Geforce Now is doing better than Stadia yet has some technical issues to overcome
    • EA's service is a joke
    • Sony's is surprisingly probably the best in terms of network stability ironic (PS NOW?) something like that
    • MS current one for Xbox is probably the best atm since Xcloud became Game Pass
    • The one with the best chance of success is alongside MS is Amazon's Luna but that's still in beta
    • So you literally have two, two games as a service model(s) that are "truly" fleshed out success stories you can run them on cross platform devices etc crappy etc doesnt matter they work good Luna/xCloud(Game Pass) and if you buy Sony, PS Now is fairly solid too, the rest are hit and miss.
    That's my take not as a reader but personally (I have tried all of the above as a consumer)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    No surprise here, game was DOA, they might as well have thrown money out the window than trying to "revive" it. Glad I never got into it.

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Stadia doesn't work well worldwide (only in some country) and is too expensive...
    Exept if they change half of the infrastructure they will have no chance to survive (and will finish like many Google's app and service: in "abandoned service").
    Even Apple Arcade do better in quality...
    While the Geforce Now experience is the same experience worldwide (despite some issue as you stated) and is less expensive. NVidia got the point there

Luna should not show "Amazon" to succeed... Amazon is profitable company but also one of the most globaly hated, every place where they treat people like slaves or dumb, Twitch and Prime doesn't work well.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Or, don't pre-order any AAA published games.

KissSh0t likes this.
  15. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Ah! I totally forgot the Apple Arcade - to be fair I haven't used it enough to thoroughly speak to its quality or lack thereof. I'm glad to hear what you're saying about it though. The last time I peeked at it... the library seemed to consist of mostly indie games if I wasn't mistaken?

Yeah I appreciated what Geforce Now did with licensing (surprise right??) I am really really worried they'll drop that considering NVIDIA owns that platform in favor of something like Stadia but I'm hoping they won't be that stupid. It's almost akin to what Parsec was proposing back in the day but never really came to full fruition.

Still - taking what people have already gone out and purchased/owned and synchronizing that with your platform (the cloud platform rather) that you're leasing is just obvious. I do wonder how licensing will be approached in the future as more countries begin to address them in the courts as well. Perhaps it was more than a consumer-based decision and a legal one, who knows.

Yeah about Amazon... it's hit and miss with them it seems. There are many things under that massive umbrella ran by regional heads, department managers, and such I'm sure who want the best for their respective programs and don't want a toxic culture. I mean that from a pragmatic standpoint. Optics, career longevity etc... I don't look at the Amazon issue as so black and white, I'm sure there's more grayer there than many people realize and this isn't because my actual name is tied to this message like my LinkedIn account lol it's just what I believe. I'll grab a recent article I read yesterday in Newsweek that made me chuckle... (It's an Op-Ed to be fair)

I'm the Amazon Worker the Media Doesn't Want You to Meet | Opinon (newsweek.com)

16. crkwhr

crkwhr Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080ti sc2
    It sounds to me like the fart from interview in Stepbrothers would be appropriate.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Yes, mainly indie, but of good quality (anyway i think that innovation in game is on indie/semi indies side, no more on big AAA companies), with some exclusive too...
    Something that fit Apple idea lol.
    Exept that point i tested it with the free month and it was nice it work fine even in moutain on gsm data, impressive...
    But when you have big computer, all those streaming service are useless i think.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Kevin Mauro likes this.
  18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    "Well that came as a big surprise", no one was ever heard saying. lol

KissSh0t likes this.