Resizable Bar?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hog54, Feb 22, 2021.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    My mobo already has it (x570) now it's useless since Nvidia must release a driver to fully take advantage

2. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    MB BIOS flash, NV driver and we need VBIOS also ? Do I need to flash my smartwatch also in order to use this kind of magic...introduced since many years in DX...

tfam26 and DannyD like this.
  3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    A boost is still a boost, it's not like we can just pay money and buy a gpu right now.:D
    *Apart from the most very expensive of course, cause money.

4. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    Hope we get it soon

Just updated my z390 Auros Master BIOS, activated 4g decoding with Resizable bar and converted MBR OS disk to GPT

I'm ready!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Cave Waverider likes this.

5. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
  6. Mustang104

Mustang104 Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 3080 RTX
    Same here TRINITY OC 3080, I check daily for any BIOS updates.

7. HichamNB

HichamNB Member

GPU:
    Amd / 2gb
  8. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF OC
    Any guesses on when nV are gonna come out with this certified driver we've been dying to get a hold of? :rolleyes: and any bets on whether or not it'll hit public release as promised by end of Feb? :D
    Cheers!

9. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    RDNA2 owners should be able to use it. AMD marketing as "sam"

10. Mustang104

Mustang104 Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 3080 RTX
    DannyD, Enizax and Kevin Mauro like this.

11. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Makes sense. OEMs updating their motherboards in advance, probably finishing up things just getting everything ready for GPU makers when they launch updated firmware. Benchmarks have shown some marginal improvements with the tech. It'll be interesting to see how much more different industries can saturate it if at all. Not just gaming. A lot of people look to gaming initially but I'm thinking of content creation applications off the top of my head.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  12. kaibosh

kaibosh Member

GPU:
    One thing to keep in mind... So far people have had some scary crap go down when they try to flash the bios on their GPU. Asus released a BIOS for the TUF back in October that fixed fan speed issues (and stealth mucked with something related to them lying about maximum watts). You can find horror stories of people either bricking their crap or making one of the two bios modes (perf or silent) corrupt. It sounds like the problems are a combination of corrupt sources, confusion on card models causing wrong code to be flashed, and interference from various tweak apps. Some people were able to rescue their cards with a recovery flash, some people weren't.

As usual, tread carefully. When we do get vBIOS updates for resizable BAR support, wait a few days to see how it is working out for people. When you do flash, do it from safe mode at the least.

13. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Any pattern between the VBIOS flashes that went bad?

14. kaibosh

kaibosh Member

GPU:
    Not really, that is what makes it kind of scary. It kind of felt like 'too many models' is part of the problem, some people were probably flashing code that wasn't meant for their card (the flashing executable should obviously have a hard check on this). It also seemed that results were inconsistent from one attempt to the next. Much like how things go for doing the same thing on a mainboard CMOS, the safest route is to use DOS based flashers from a rufus boot - but then you really need to know you have the right BIOS for your exact model.

Considering that the end result of this will be single digit gains in framerate, I won't be in a hurry to be the first to test this on my 3080. Flashing a GPU Bios has always felt just that little bit more sketchy than it should be.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  15. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    glad i have an evga, it has flashed 6 times already with no issue. I have to flash if i want to OC anyway because of evga's overclocking software.

16. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF OC
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Isn't it going to require another BIOS update for nVidia's implementation, plus a GPU BIOS update... and even then I still don't know if AMD CPUs will be supported. Anyone?

18. lord_zed

lord_zed Active Member

GPU:
    980ti MOD 1500/8000 LC
  19. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    It even goes beyond, the article mentions nvidia has to *enable BAR for games*. How long will it take to test ancient games? Well... yeah

20. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3