Why does Xbox Series X seem like an absolute steal to me ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cucaulay malkin, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I will take note when the PS5 Pro is released, negating the need for my PS4 Pro to exist...perhaps...

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    will there be a ps5 pro ?
    the regular ps5 does seem kinda underpowered even compared to XSX

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Nah. I'm not convinced with that statement, as I think the verdict is out as I think the specifications are misleading.

I just am not happy with the power of any console over what I have already got.

Y'see?

These new consoles are just v1.5 of the last generation, nothing more.

They got really good solid state configs, whoop-di-do...they got 4K UHD playback for blue ray, sfw...they got better graphics than the last generation, not by much my friend, not by much...

The only thing I really like about the PS5 is the look of it.

These new consoles still require subscriptions to play multiplayer games - that is the key problem with consoles and, is a major part of my personal position in the types of games I play on consoles - adventure games. I really cannot explain this any better, but adventure games on consoles are something I can lose days in. On a PC, despite being the same game (HZD and RDR2) I do not lose myself in the game anywhere near as much.

I think couches are OP, and that is the real competition of the PC: my bachelor-pad L-shaped leather couch, with adjustable headrests at the edges. No PC can compete with it.

4. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    There must be, eventually.

why not bring your PC to couch? Single Player side should be all the same + better FPS.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    We haven't seen a single game properly made for the new consoles yet. With the PS4 Pro giving us things like God of War or GT Sport, and the OneX giving us Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5, I don't think that we can even image what we'll get a couple of years down the line.

Remember, PC overhead had a hard time to follow 8x Jaguar cores and I/O in open world games, and now the consoles have zero-overhead PCIe 4.0 attached storage, that literally not even 3% of gaming PCs have.

EDIT: Can't wait for people to come in and say that "PCIe 4.0 doesn't matter" because of benchmarks done in last gen games. Same for VRAM, anything below at least 16GB will tank once the first games really developed for this gen appear.

As a minimum I would say that a really highly clocked 8 core Zen3 CPU, 16GB of fast RAM, a 5GB/sec+ PCIe 4.0 SSD and a GPU with at least 12GB of VRAM with ray tracing and DirectStorage support will be required to even hit console settings.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    console settings are lower than pc usually.same goes for those early next gen games like the medium.
    so no,you won't need 8/16 zen 3 cpu and a 12g card to hit console settings.you'll be able to use higher than console settings on a 5600x and 3070.

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There is no way that you can do this, sorry. Console settings are not lower than the PC, they are lower than what a maxed out PC can do. Sure, you get much better IQ on Shadow of the Tomb Raider with a PC, but can you get better performance than a PS4 Pro, with a cheap CPU, 8GB of RAM and a 4Tflop GCN GPU? The answer is "no".

It's impossible to be "yes", actually. These systems have zero overhead, and they really don't have all the architectural and I/O restrictions that PCs have. I don't see how you could ever expect to even hit similar performance at the same settings.

8. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that's what I meant
    consoles run lower,sometimes much lower settings,than you'd run on your gpu.
    if a 8g card can run higher settings than a console,then your statement about needing 12g to match consoles in not correct.

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What I'm saying is given equal raw hardware specs, consoles will always be faster than the PC equivalent at the same IQ.

I don't think this would be any sort of surprise.

10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    ive seen many ppl claim this but not many (if any) reviews confirm it.

11. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    IQ and consoles don't belong in same sentence, just opinion not hating.

12. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    from what ive seen on yt channels,a 1060 would often be able to run higher than ps4pro settings with the ability to unlock fps.at that time it cost about 900pln here while ps4 pro was 1400pln.all it needed was a decent pc,even an ivy bridge one would be enough to match jaguar cores.
    this channel one is particularly worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/c/jermgaming/videos

also: do that on console
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-gtx-1060-armor/33.html

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021