AMD is investigating USB problems with 500 series chipsets

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Kevin Mauro, Maddness and SesioNLive like this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I actually can't connect any external HDD to my USB 3.0 ports. They will disconnect practically immediately. USB 3.1 (Gen 2) ports work okay, however. USB flash drives have been working ok also in the 3.0 ports, by the looks of it. I might have had some smaller problems with other devices. I always thought it's all due to not reinstalling Win10 after switching from the old Intel based system to this AMD 3700X. I've been meaning to do a clean install but haven't got around to it. Maybe I should, and then report to AMD if the problems persist even after a clean installation.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I had this issue as well during my week and a half WHEA experience.

Fixed it by going back to my trusty 4770K.

My future upgrade will be Intel again, sorry AMD very poor experience you gave me.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    This may be happening to me, but I don't know if it was just a coincidence a few times, or in the more consistent case with my controller, if it's just my Bluetooth 4 dongle or my Xbox Series X ("Core") controller just has a problem. Those new controllers seem to be notorious for dropout issues, it constantly disconnects from my mobo's BT5/WiFi module (for some reason at a 100% rate in a certain game) which is why I'm using an ancient BT4 dongle. And yes I have it updated to the latest firmware.

But I definitely have experienced some USB connection dropouts.

Edit: Didn't mention the board; Asus TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) which uses a lot of the same parts as the X570 Strix and other Asus boards. So if this is a board problem, it probably affects multiple Asus models.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021

5. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    I often get notification on Windows that my Oculus Rift sensor is causing an error, but it still works OK. (Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Formula) I also occasionally get the Windows dink-donk USB unplugged sound but never noticed what it could be. I'm on the latest BIOS. On the type C header it also gives an overvoltage warning if it's plugged in one way round. (the actual header cable)

I put them on my list of things to ignor in life.

6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    So far, I've had no issue with my X570 Aorus Xtreme, both the USB 2.0 ports for my KB + mouse and USB 3.1 G2 ports seem to be working okay....

BReal85 likes this.
  7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I had minor problem with my G314 Keyboard , it wasnt reconized by Logitech software , i thought it was logitech bug

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    My USB 2.0 ports are unusable so I use the other ones. Still, sometimes my Xbox Wireless controller won't connect to the dongle prompting me to disconnect & reconnect the dongle and then pair them together.

The bug I had with USB 2.0 when I connected my speakers was sound skipping. I didn't try other peripherals due to that bug.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    My usb thumb drive died after leaving it plugged in for a few hours..

:<

10. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    A few more biosupdates on my x570 taichi bord, and it's biosupdate nr 30 from day 1

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I don't want to jinx it, but with an X570 Aorus Master rev. 1.2, I am fine here. No WHEA at all, and haven't noticed any USB disconnections at all. But it's obvious this is a big issue AMD needs to fix. I suspect that the IF is really made to run up to 1600MHz (which is the actual rated speed), and their marketing has screwed up again.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There is already a bios update. Im also fine on my gigabyte x570, didnt notice any issues.

1. Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0
    2. Improve USB 2.0 compatibility

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    iv had a few occasionally but you can rectify it by not allowing usb to suspend

CPC_RedDawn and Kevin Mauro like this.
  14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Same on my end, had a few random stability issues while booting with a few BIOS releases, current on I have loaded (F33a) is rock stable with my CPU and RAM.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Had no issues with the USBs on my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro, ive never updated the BIOS either.

16. crashburn162

crashburn162 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Wc
    I own Msi b550 tomahawk with the latest bios i've wnt through atleast 4 bios version no problem with usb devices so far.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    No issue there on the Asrock X570 ITX/TB, with lot of thing connected and all energy saver on.

18. Software Junkie

Software Junkie Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I had some bad USB problems on my ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) X570 board after updating the BIOS, but I cannot remember what the BIOS number was.

My USB audio interface, an RME Fireface UC kept dropping connection for a fraction of a second, which I'd never seen before on my previous Intel build. RME are famous for their rock solid audio drivers, so I was very surprised (and annoyed) to see this happening.

I also had issues with my Razer Deathadder USB wired mouse which would just stop working at random intervals. I could be 2 minutes into playing a game and suddenly the mouse would just stop working for no reason. The only thing that would bring it back to life was rebooting the PC.

I tried everything to solve this, re-installing drivers, software, changing devices to different USB sockets, but nothing would fix it. Finally, I updated the BIOS and that seemed to fix it. So, I definitely had issues at some point using a particular BIOS version. But I cannot remember which number it was. :(

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  19. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    \The ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero is basically the same as my ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula board. I had issues with Audio, turned out to be some crap the "armory crate" was downloading to do with DTS audio.

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Wow, this is a bizarre story.