NVIDIA: GeForce RTX 3060 Hash rate Limiter is enforced through both driver and BIOS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2021.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I wonder if they will be doing this for laptop gpu's

2. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    No, the intended purpose is to make nvidia money and get in on the action, while reducing the supply of used gaming GPUs hitting the market if crypto ever crashes again or GPU mining becomes unprofitable.
    They can only produce "mining GPUs" if they are reducing supply of gaming GPUs. Guarantee you arent going to see cheap GPUs as a result of this, its nvidia bring nvidia. The same guys that were charging $800 for an RTX 2080 after the 2017/2018 mining craze had already died.
    Also people complain about "scalpers" but thats not what is going on. The demand is insane right now. You cant mine with an Xbox series x but they are going for $800 still. And with mining Even an old common GPU like a 1070 can make $3-4 a day. That means its going to be worth more due to supply and demand.

3. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Special "mining drivers" already exists. Nvidia bioses are pretty much encrypted, so it is very difficult to reengineer, but "mining industry" has enough money, even to buy the "knowledge how to hack" almost anything for their needs, therefore a "hack or workaround" is only a matter of time . I am really curious, how nvidia will implement such a "non- or almost non- hackable" solution, which does not affect overclocking and tweaking capabilities for "normal" users or "OC enthusiast", imo just impossible or not yet possible without touching the chip design.
    The best way go get out of this dilemma is as almost allways: PATIENCE. The mining boom will not last forever nor the pandemic and hardware prices will come down again. Defenately I am not willing to pay a fortune, even not for a used card, which lasts barely one or two years from now.
    Bought my x299 Apex board as an amazon warehouse deal like new for €250.- two years ago, now they are selling it used on ebay still for a kidding €300.- just crazy times right now.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  4. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Eh, the supply was insultingly low even before the btc skyrocketed. As some have stated here, this is just NVIDIA trying to limit the resell market so it wouldn't affect their sales of new GPU next year or two. I think that sadly, until there is more manufacturing capacity available, the supply will remain low both for NVIDIA and AMD.

5. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    I wonder if F@H will work with this crippled new card... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

6. Nero1024

Nero1024 Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080Ti
    They should make it 1/10 or fully disable mining capabilities on gaming cards to make it worth it.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Nvidia does not want you to buy second hand. Hes right though.

8. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    These threads on this topic just prove the saying.
    "It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

Nvidia cares about selling gpu's for the maximum profit possible, if they tell you that they care about who buys them, they are lying.
    If you think those selfless guys at Nvidia are doing this a generous service to pc owners, you are deluded.

I hold little hope for the community at large, world events have proven that sheep like to be herded.

carnivore and MonstroMart like this.
  9. Plavn Walaz

Plavn Walaz New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 / 8GB
    I doubt that 3060 wont be unlocked for mining, here's a good observation from AnandTech - "driver throttling approach won’t work. But there is a very real chance it’s not going to work for very long, especially with miners so financially motivated to work-around it. Complicating matters, NVIDIA has been shipping mobile RTX 3060 hardware and drivers since late January as part of the RTX 30 series for laptops, so driver hackers already have a starting point for “clean” GA106 code."

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    IMHO there is 0.1% chance that the big boys of GPU mining won't be able to hack 3060 BIOS.

OTOH it's much more probable that these hacked BIOS-es won't reach the plebs

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    They do not need to put that much work out.
    Older driver has architecture code path. You add new device ID into older driver and sign it yourself. Or use OS in state where signing is not needed.

12. Nero1024

Nero1024 Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080Ti
    You can resell your used video card any time you want

13. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    Miners always change BIOS, so thats the new puzzle for them. I dont think this ''babysitting'' will change much for the big players.

Big will just get bigger while the little garage miners will get a new hassle.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    can only be done on non uefi non secureboot systems.

15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Sure, however these new miner-only cards, who will want an old-gen miner card when the new ones arrive?
    Who would buy a miner-only card when your resell market is only miners?
    Linus seems heavy against mining and makes a good point about limited silicon, i just want some gpus available cause right now the shelves are totally bare in uk. ( i get my bonus in few days and was planning on new gpu but guess what? ..)
    *and no it's not 3090 type bonus lol or else sure why the hell not.:)

16. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    how/why do these crypto coins have any value to begin with?...I just can't wrap my head around this? Grrrrr...I mean most people I know go to work and produce something with the skills they know and that in turn has value to someone on the receiving end of whatever it is they're producing.
    How does this ""plug in a computer/graphics card and it spits out money"" work?

in most countries that I know of it's against the law to own a money printing press yet this is exactly what this looks like to me...plug it in and it prints out money.

apologize if I'm OT y'all

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I already posted before. It is not only bios protection. May not be so, easy to Crack.

18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Honestly I'm gonna stop even thinking about upgrading at this point in time. All my games play fine and there is nothing on the horizon that interests me that I need to upgrade for. Maybe Hellblade 2 but I didn't plan on buying it on day one anyway. This last year and probably the next year or two to come are a real bummer for the entire gaming industry.

AlmondMan likes this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I used to sign intel's drivers when they stopped support Cherry Trail. (Win 10.)
    And let's be honest. Minors can't care less on what OS they mine on. That's not even concern.

20. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Here in Denmark an item does not lose its warranty if you resell it. If you provide the buyer with the invoice he can even go to the retailer (you interact with your retailer for warranty issues here, in 99,9% of products) and have them handle it.