NVIDIA: GeForce RTX 3060 Hash rate Limiter is enforced through both driver and BIOS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    According to NVidia, the new line of mining cards will not take anything away from gamers gpu's. They are using the defective chips that aren't suitable for gaming supposedly, not good chips.

Airbud likes this.
  2. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Yes, it was better. By a small margin. Yes it was still a piece of $hit compared to the availability of cards before the mining craze in 2017.

Sorry to say that, but you are too optimistic.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Duh? I flashed Fury X in my experiments over 600 times around.
    I even modded Device IDs to RX 480 as that came as I wanted to see new features in drivers. (Wattman change.)

And when Fury X came, it did not have exactly great performance. But performance was very different based on Device ID used.
    I installed it as cards from HD 7970 through HD 7790 and r9-390. Pretending HD 7970 provided best performance till AMD fixed drivers.

No bricking in process. But maybe like 5 times mod was unbootable. Takes minute to get system up and running and reflash next experimental vBIOS.

Airbud likes this.
  4. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    on one hand I'm not a huge fan of "control" on the other hand I want to buy a new video card some day.

386SX likes this.

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    So, will the new vBIOSes on 3xxx cards with resizable BAR support also include the anti-miner-crippling? I just hope it won't negatively affect performance in other applications.

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    as a first step, this is two hairs more than P.R.

i do like that Nvidia is starting with the most affordable RTX and that this has been in the works awhile.
    however, a separate line with no cooler would go a long way to both lower price and speed availability for enthusiasts. and while many miners are savvy enough to wc, the majority are using open racks with no space for rads.
    this would work a treat for AMD as well

CyberSparky likes this.
  7. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    like.. gaming? they "created" RT capabilities, DLSS and then no one can use them because all the cards are in hands of miners

that do not use RT of course..

WalterDasTrevas and theoneofgod like this.
  8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Normal people: Why are there so much dump people willing to buy from scalpers just for bragging rights?

Seriously, if people stop buying from scalpers they stop to have a reason to scalp.
    At least in Europe, if you resell something it loses its original warranty. Do people know that? Certainly not because scalpers always advertise unopened, sealed, with warranty.
    If it's sealed, why the frack did you buy it? I want to start arranging meeting with those and taking a gang of guys to brake all the bones on their bodies.

tunejunky and Airbud like this.
  9. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    no need for all that!...a couple bites to the leg should be enough!....:D

10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Seems protection is deeper
    upload_2021-2-19_17-3-57.png

Solfaur likes this.

11. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    big mining businesses can afford to rewrite drivers and bios if thats the problem, this only affects the casual part time gamer/miner

unless there's a rom chip inside the silicon itself cutting hashrate in half, this will achieve nothing other than further kicking down the little guy

besides, hashrate is useful for plenty of things other than mining

on the flipside, after this drama ends again, RX6800 will be going for 199$ on ebay

12. kgrosser

kgrosser Guest

GPU:
    changes every now & then
    Well, we've been through this before and it wasn't for the worse for the gaming community that nvidia decided to take GPGPU capabilites from products aimed for entertainment and reserved it for higher priced cards aimed at users that use them for profit purposes, both using the same silicon. Which is why Quadro cards exist and run for considerably higher prices. Honestly, I think it is a very good decision to spread the revenue according to what people do with their products. Which is exactly what we are witnessing: A professional grade product that makes money so it is worth more to the potential buyer, this is why Threadripper is more expansive than Rizen9, why Quadro cards run more than a GTX card etc. .IF mining drives the market on extent that prices effetcively double from what nvidia was ready to shift the product, fine. Apparently these mining cards do not to run any cheaper if the gaming crippled cards juts suck at that purpose.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it not gona solve the stock issue or miners buying the cards, there also not gona buy "dedicated" miners cards when they can just hack the drivers and bios normal ones.

Maybe after they fiqure out how to crack/hack the drivers and bios they can just unlock "dedicated" miners cards and use them, but unless those card will be sold of less it wont mater, all this really is gona do is make the supply worse.

Only way mining would not be issue when government makes it illegal, and should be anyway people are basically printing money using insane amounts power using just gpu... you know how bad it would be if people just all quite the job and mining cryptocurrency instead? the ramification on our world powergrind and how we produce our power would be horrible

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    it will be LOOONG time before you can get RX6800 for 200$ :)

15. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    The secure handshake means the bios and drivers are signed. They'd need a signed bios and a signed driver which require the private key that only nvidia have. While no security is full proof I don't think you can just hack bios, you need to encript your new bios with the private key or the hardware will reject it, and the same for the driver.

16. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    now whether it will force miner to move along with crypto-mining-version or not we still have to see it
    if we look at ASIC machines, back in the days there no brainer to pick gpu over asic, as asic hash rate is like 1000x better
    but then things change, ASIC that design for specific things become useless when algorithm change, thus miner moving to gpu that flexible + easy to resell, even hash-rate is not-that-good

the easy-to-resell is the point... to miner this is like low-risk investment, not just the hash-rate-performance imo
    if those crypto-mining-ver not proved much better, probably like with agressive pricing, miner might still opting gaming-ver
    think that dedicated gpu for mining vs all-purpose-gpu... that mining gpu will lose it purpose as soon as new-faster mining-gpu release, so who want those old mining gpu ? if reselling those, can it still hold good value to miner-fellow?

but well the good thing is that crypto is unstable (historically so far), expecting it cool-down again soonish... hopefully
    personally back with 1000&2000series, i never get problem getting those, but now 3000series hard to find at normal price
    thinking of it, this event-combo that happening now, covid-scalper-miner resulting current situation
    i expecting supply things get better late Q2~Q3... especially if covid can be under control with vaccine

DannyD likes this.
  17. kgrosser

kgrosser Guest

GPU:
    changes every now & then
    Hmmm, but who wants a gaming GPU that has been dead sure swaeting 24/7 the last months if not years miningunder unknown conditions? Honestly, I won't touch a 3080 sold used in the next years.... face it, professional used IT is unsellable....

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The solution seems worthwhile enough to warrant another spin of the current other 3000 series cards with this feature built-in. Suddenly, you will start seeing stock again.

KissSh0t, Lebon30 and DannyD like this.
  19. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    So you want this crazy no-GPU availability to continue?
    I'd gladly get a locked BIOS GPU knowing it doesn't affect what I'm going to do with it.

20. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd