Sony Playstation 5 Processor SoC Die Photos

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's always interesting to see a chip up-close and personal. As you all know. AMD has been behind the one empowering the new Xbox and PlayStation 5, that last for that last one pictures emerged....

Sony Playstation 5 Processor SoC Die Photos

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    They super cheaped out on the GPU portion yet multi-platform games on the PS5 have outperformed the much more powerful XBSX versions in more than one occasion, particularly in AssCreed Downgraded Vikings. If optimization is that criminally bad on the XBSX, imagine how piss poor the PC ports are compared to what they should be.

Kosmoz likes this.
  3. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Cheaped out or not, i believe is better that consoles are on the lower-medium end of the spectrum.
    Otherwise higher end pc build becomes a necessity more than an option.
    Yes pcs have a lot of non efficencies compared to the hardware they have, generic api, a big OS and probably more.
    I somehow prefer it in this way, anyway games will be tailored around the lower specced console.

4. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    The cut-down FPU choice is understandable, considering that wide vector math is not critical for games and most consumer apps in the context of a console. Heavy FP workloads in this case are already off-loaded to the GPU via compute and graphics tasks. The savings here are really concerning peak TDP, so more power is available to the GPU portion of the SOC.

Kosmoz likes this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If one could run linux on PS5/XSX, I would get one. Or if XSX could run full windows.
    But we all know what would follow...

... crypto, no more consoles in west.

Because crypto became game of cookie-clicker.

itpro likes this.
  6. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Weird... why? Strictly software related?
    Is the PS OS still a linux distro / derivative?

7. Bsac

Bsac Member

GPU:
    Rx 580 / 8gb
    Sony played it smart and did not gimp their diskless console like MS did. When it comes to cross platform games it's easier for developers to optimize for the PS5 when both versions are functionally the same aside from the disk. Sony also gave developers a head start when it came to early development and optimization tools. It's still early in the console wars so things could change and tip towards MS favor which clearly has the more powerful hardware. That being said as we can see having the most powerful hardware does not always equal the best performance if the software is not fully optimized to take advantage of it.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This just shows consoles dont have the real rdna2 inside. The chip is far behind rx6800 or even upcoming rx6700 series.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Welcome to the forum.

I think that people get what hey pay for with consoles. XSS is toy you buy for your kids. XSX is what you put into living room next to your big TV.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Here is the thing. PS5 is RDNA one point something. And has Custom Geometry Engine as you wrote. But there is no saying that it will be used in RDNA3 till RDNA3 comes and uses it.
    It is custom piece of HW which may end up being used in some way or may not.

On other hand, feature wise (blocks that execute operations on data) XSX has full RDNA2.

PS5 being bottleneck free is joke. It is like saying that improved geometry engine makes RDNA1 bottleneck free.

In terms of PS5 vs XSX, each needs different optimizations. PS5 around its Geometry Engine, XSX around shader throughput and INT4/8 features.
    Where XSX uses RDNA2 based Variable Rate Shading, PS5 uses custom override and simulates it through different means.

Fun fact: If you take feature change list from RDNA1 to RDNA2, XSX has everything except IF which it does not need as much, due to quite wide IMC for given TFLOPs.
    PS5 on other hand misses most of new HW features and does some of things "in Cerny's way".

Undying likes this.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I don't know if the overall result is mostly due to software but it's at least partial. Sony's development tools are supposedly iterative and devs are used to it, meanwhile Ubisoft apparently doesn't give a crap to properly use the Microsoft tools. But there's more to it, Sony tend to a lie, a lot, but supposedly there's a hardware portion they very ambiguously call a geometry engine giving devs more control over resource management.

As for the OS, I'm not sure since I haven't seen an official source talking about it.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Real world performance vs real word Image quality.
    Sure, Cerny's soft hack method may prove to deliver higher performance over dedicated HW block. But do not think it does not come at cost of IQ.
    Then again. PS5 has advantage of time. It is not RDNA2 because Sony wanted it early. And they used that time to get software advantage.
    This advantage will be gone over time as SDKs for XSX catch up with RDNA2. And start to actually use capabilities like INT4/8 for something.

PS5 has head start, XSX has better meaningful HW which means that SW can catch up and then run circles around PS5. And it is up to MS to do it.
    And that applies to IMC too. I did explained it in details in other threads. Will not repeat it here. But take XSX refresh with 20GB VRAM.
    I torn Fallacy of storage arguments dozen times over too. As well as 16GB of VRAM on RX 6800 XT that can use half of it only as cache as long as fps target is above 60.

Want to eat Cerny's marketing? Do. But don't be surprised when things turn out to never be way his marketing made you believe.
    Huang's statements about magical chip in G-Sync modules and incoming features look honest in light of Cerny's statements. Because Huang may have hoped to deliver. Cerny knows as well as anyone with half a brain and calculator what can and can't be delivered.

Think about features you worship from practical side of things. Stop accepting statements from someone you see as authority as facts. Go and Fact check them. Model scenario based on what it is supposed to do. And think about real requirements and how things need to be. Think about consequences when those needs are fulfilled.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And zero thinking was done, right? No math at all at your side, right?

That's why I rarely waste time here on providing brutal evidence. Because very few people will even read numerical proof.
    Tech docs. Or anything else of real substance.

Yet alone think about it. Tell me when you do think about it for yourself and do math.
    Maybe you'll find something I did somehow overlook.

14. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Your information is outdated. This was only the case for first couple of early games. Some more recent titles run at much higher res on XSX than PS5, for example Hitman 3. It's too early to say how PS5 power stacks up against XSX in the long run, but I think there will be more surprises down the road.

15. MaikelSZ

MaikelSZ Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 470 4GB