MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Use 4.6.3 beta 5

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    19041.782+ and the 18363 update released on the same day introduced an additional d3d12 dll and split some things off into it, RTSS 7.3.0b10 and later have already addressed it.

3. Harry Lloyd

Harry Lloyd Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    I was getting the DX12 hooking pop-up after yesterdays Windows update. Just installed the latest Afterburner and RTSS betas and it is fine now.

But what is wrong with the automatic update check? It has not worked for me (and my friend) for a very long time. I have the beta checkbox selected, but it always says I have the latest version.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I gave up on making betas visible to update servers, it is done intentionally to isolate development builds from lazy users refusing to read anything. And, surprize, it was also commented before.

SatsuiNoHado likes this.

5. sualfred

sualfred Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 Holo
    Just wanted to ask if somebody else is facing the problem, or Nvidia changed/bugged something again on their side?

With the latest hotfix driver 461.51, which targets black screens while using Chrome or Chrome based browser, the custom fan curve isn't working anymore. It always runs around ~50-75% speed (can't tell exactly). Rolling back to the official 461.40 solved the problem.

(Zotac RTX 3080 Holo, latest Afterburner Beta 5)

6. Unwinder

There are no changes in fan control with 461.51 on my 3070 test rig. Please, no need to continue it in this thread.

7. Unwinder

All

It was planned to release current MSI AB 4.6.3 beta 5 and RTSS 7.3.0 beta 10 as the final builds of MSI AB 4.6.3 and RTSS 7.3.0 versions this week. However, there were some changes on RTSS side during last few days so there will be slightly newer build of RTSS addressing Kombustor incompatibility reported by @Astyanax in this thread. As a pleasant bonus side effect, Kombustor compatibility fix may also imrpove compatibility with other Vulkan renderers behaving similar to Kombustor (i.e. creating/destroying multiple Vulkan instances/devices during application runtime). That's not a typical development pattern and applicaiton behavior, none of currently existing native Vulkan game renderers do that, but at least some third party mods like DXVK behave this way so compatibility with them may be improved.
    So there will be RTSS 7.3.0 RC (with this Kombustor compatibility fix) in nearest time, then we'll probably include it in MSI AB 4.6.3 distributive and publish 4.6.3 RC as well.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Awesome! :)

9. Unwinder

Grab RTSS 7.3.0 Build 24339 Release Candidate here:

https://download-eu2.guru3d.com/rtss/[Guru3D.com]-RTSSSetup730Build24339.rar

Changes list is available a couple posts above. If nothing goes wrong, we'll release it as official 7.3.0 a few days later then include it into MSI AB 4.6.3 and release it as well.
    And we're asking third party newsmakers one more time: please don't announce builds like this one in news, if we don't announce it in news here, at Guru3D. Such builds are intended for testing by forum visitiors only.

10. Unwinder

And a bit of offtopic related to MSI AB development process. I had no ideas why links to GN videos are censored here (and honestly thought that it is a bit unjustified), but I think I start understanding why, seeing the nonsense people post there in comments. Some “knowledge” about MSI AB development process and really nice discussion about it there, in Killshot video comments:

“And its not like Afterburner is the only thing about MSI that sucks, there are quite a few things. Im sorry that they can so easily trick people like you into liking their products so much, because if they cared, they would totally remake afterburner with a team of top level programmers instead just adding little patches here and there to get people to think they are actually fixing it.”

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Thats just the GN community, not a reflection of Steve himself.

However, I've stopped watching GN because of the affiliation to derbauer and the untrained, quite often wrong, Buildzoid that has a worship base of equally as clueless fans.

I wish them luck with their third party alternatives, have fun trying to use GPU Tweak on the latest windows build, they won't even connect the dots that its closing all their applications every 5 seconds.

12. terry_bogard_sv

terry_bogard_sv Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 16GB
    Well, to me it looks like a comment from somebody that tried to ask for something unrelated directly AB development and didn't get a nice answer xD.

I really wasn't a AB fan for many years because I didn't care about oc'ing my gpu until I learnt about uv and of course scanline sync which has really changed my gaming experience, personally I don't think there is any alternative to AB RTSS combo out there.

13. Unwinder

Nope. That's a part of my discussion with some random user, who is explaining why MSI brand sucks because of Afterburner and legitimizing his reasons to hate it. Always nice to meet people telling you true story of MSI AB development internals and knowing how to do it properly.

terry_bogard_sv likes this.
  14. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Well... That's actually True and EVGA Precision, Zotac Firestorm and Sapphire Trixx prove that. (Precision was the only one that used your Codebase for a while right?).
    But those great Tools come nowhere near the Feature level of Afterburner, not even talking about RTSS.
    So yeah, for those people that prefer a fresh lookin UI with less features the comment "Just make it clean from start" always seems like the best option.
    Same as people always complain about the Creation Engine. "Too many bugs, just write a new one without any problems" But the same engine will be used in the next game too, thats already confirmed.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh.... god.... i haven't heard something so daft and uninformed in ages.

eGGroLLiO likes this.

16. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Thought the irony tags wouldn't be necessary :(

SalamatiQus likes this.
  17. Clukos

Clukos Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Does anyone know of a way to unlock the restriction on max memory overclocking limits for Ampere? AB is by far my favourite tool to overclock but my 3080 scales all the way up to +2000 on the memory and AB only goes up to +1500.

I can set that with the EVGA tool but I'd rather not give up AB and the neat curve OC functionality.

18. Scorpion3811

Scorpion3811 Member

GPU:
    ALL
    First off this is not the place for this!!! Second, I highly doubt your card is scaling to +2000 error free, the highest I have read is like +1250 on LN2...either way please dont post these questions on here, this is for development of Afterburner only, if you had read...you would know this....

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  19. Clukos

Clukos Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    This being the place for afterburner development is precisely why I posted this here. I assume the limit is imposed on a software level when you have different overcloking tools offering different limits. It’s not a huge issue as I can use afterburner for daily use and EVGA precision for benching but the curve oc functionality of afterburner is so much better than EVGA precision it’s not even funny.

20. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Wrong. Limit is mostly set by Driver.
    If you different tools allow different values thats because they circumvent driver restrictions.