Nvidia introduces official DLSS plugin for Unreal Engine

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    and just like that - NVIDIA brought DLSS to dozens of games... lol

3. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Though the DLSS implementation is buggy right now and doesn't play nicely with all material editor nodes.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Game engine supporting it it does not necessarily meaning every game developer will implement it in their games. Dlss is a feature to be used with raytracing without it it makes no sense.

itpro likes this.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Unreal Engine 4 + Dynamic resolution support
    [​IMG]

6. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Free performance always makes sense.

7. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it's still baby steps for this really useful technology.
    i've seen it work miracles in youngblood with my own eyes,but it needs wider support.1st gen rtx cards are gonna last much,much longer thanks to it.it's not true it makes no sense without rt,owners of 2060-2070 cards can play cyberpunk at 60 fps easily thanks to dlss.

you're paying for it buying an rtx card.it's not free.same as ppl said "enabling async on gcn is free performance".well,you paid amd to give you a card that supports it,didn't you.you paid amd for a card that they obviously didn't squeeze 100% out of at the beginning,so "fine wine" is a stupid concept too.
    every feature on every gpu you paid for.it's a matter of if and when you get it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Not for the price blurring the image.

GSDragoon, moo100times and itpro like this.
  9. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    hit and miss,you'd have to see it by yourself to judge.better to have it,doesn't mean you'll always need to use it.

played two dlss 2.0 games myself,there were some issues with one,but I would never say that it was blurry.If anything it's much sharper,especially in motion where traditional antialiasing can't deal with flickering.control on dlss 1.9 was prone to missing some objects,like part of a machine would be 960p native while other was 960p dlss. with 2.0 I didn't notice much of that.

theoneofgod likes this.
  10. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    The medium has better quality in XSX than 3060ti w/ 4k DLSS. DLSS is the opium of PC gamers it seems. XSX is the absolute winner VS mid-low end PC. And AMD is behind this miracle. (Microsoft included) I do not believe anyone would like to pay ~500$ gpu to lose from a mere console.

theoneofgod likes this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Only game i would actually use dlss is the control and thats only becouse it would in the combination with raytracing. I really dont see the point having 960p with dlss when you can run 1440p native.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    DLSS Quality at 4k Cyberpunk with a little sharpening is awesome:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

theoneofgod and cucaulay malkin like this.
  13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Would anyone mind if I called 'bs' on that fornite screenshot? Unless that was a pre-scripted UE4 sequence in the editor, that allowed the developer to run the same sequence with different settings (hard to know without the UI of UE4) then that exact DPS/hitmarker info is close to impossible...without a near infinite number of frapsing.

14. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    You don't see the point? My 2060 laptop struggles with the game at 1080p60, yet with DLSS it can do 1440p60 at max settings easily. And with DLSS performance and volumetrics medium I can even add RT reflections+translucency to that at 1440p60 and get a superior experience compared to the stronger PS5 and Xbox Series X, because it runs at higher settings and higher framerate. Or I can reach 144 FPS for my internal laptop display at 1080p with DLSS without using Raytracing.

It's not blurry btw, the image quality of DLSS 2.0 is excellent in most games. If it appears blurry in some games like Cyberpunk its because the devs did not implement it correctly. In Cyberpunk for example the TAA is extremly oversharpened while DLSS has not enabled any sharpening at all which makes it appear blurry in comparison. Again, not the fault of DLSS 2.0, it's the fault of the developer and can be fixed by adding sharpening like alanm did. Then even DLSS Performance at 1440p (which is rendering at just 720p) looks close or even better than native rendering. Check this out:

https://imgsli.com/MzM5MjA

You can see added detail like the number under the left brake light and additional details on the upper left metal wall.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    That's not the case,

look at MHW and FFXV which use it, sure its not the latest version so it could do better visually, but it brings up the framerate when you enable every setting to the max XD

16. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    So it is yet another upscaling, but with fancy name...

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I had opportunity to test it with Cyberpunk on 3060 Ti . It makes image blurry , sadly , for me it is big quality downgrade , yet most reviews says there is almost no downgrade .....

18. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    I know, had same feeling while playing on 2080s, RT, DLSS quality, picture in movement crap like...

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Works best at high res, esp 4k.

20. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    There's been dynamic resolution and temporal upsampling for a couple years now (almost mandatory for consoles developement), but DLSS is a welcome addition for sure!