3090 sli for gaming does it work?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by animeowns, Feb 7, 2021.

1. animeowns

animeowns Member

GPU:
    Titan
    so has anyone had any success getting 3090 working in sli the same way the previous generation of cards did like the rtx 20 series in several games. With certain nvinspector profiles ?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  3. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Of course it works. But it's meaningless for anything but 8K or 10K resolutions. It's actually advertised as an 8k gaming card. Even then it's going to take tweaking and only 20-40% improvements in most titles. Is that really worth 2000-3000 USD in scalper prices???

I mean other than that it's just money to burn or just because they can and want it. Makes no sense to me and I was able to score a Merc 319 6800 XT at 2600 core. This eats up 4k. DOOM Eternal on my SONY VH1 4K 120hz it pulls 110-140 fps since I don't vsync.

So I mean are you even 8k gaming? If my one 6800 XT can do that I'm sure you'll be fine without SLI lol.

Nope.

But yes it will work. Trying to figure out why 8k even exists right now. I mean pro-photography ok I get some panels for that idea or similar. I completely understand 4K, since it actually does look sharper and pop. But there is that barrier you hit when it just doesn't happen anymore. Think that is here. I mean new TV's don't always have to have higher resolutions. They can work on what they have for a while.....

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    It might also be helpful for high resolution VR headsets in games where a single RTX 3090 isn't enough to render at native resolution and constant 90 FPS if it worked.

5. animeowns

animeowns Member

GPU:
    Titan
    View attachment 4134
    ya I have been 8k gaming since 2017 but its one of the reasons why I was asking if we are able to get 3090 working in sli I mostly play 4k now due to how demanding games are and latley with nothing getting the support we finally have enough vram to push 8k but back in 2017 I was using titan xp's and would average about 60 fps in some titles in 3 way sli at 99% usage but games would crash often to the limited amount of vram I had.

Attached Files:

6. animeowns

animeowns Member

GPU:
    Titan
    my life is gaming :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2021
    chispy likes this.
  7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I just don't see 8k gaming as something to aim for when cards are over 2-3k in scalper prices. Enjoy 4k as it's amazing to look at. My opinion but what you do is your choice. SLI will work, just...not worth that much in cash for the small gains.

8. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    I have read that all you need to do is enable some bits in NVinspector and SLI functions like normal cards. SLI is only disabled on a software level by Nvidia afaik similar pascal 3/4way SLI.

I don't have a source nor the bits just something I read possibly in the 4way SLI thread or in a link from that thread.

Many non enthusiast responses in this thread that are missing the point of 3090SLI, to go fast is that not allowed. SLI is not small gains when a 980ti setup is within 10% of a 3090 to this day 6 years after release.

9. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
  10. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Yup, 100% agree that Sli in general is already on its way to the grim reaper, but at least I am keeping it alive to certain degree, I have put tons of work into my projects, alot more pro's then con's(Which surprises me to this day).

And I agree, its not simple as bits, nope.

I already made a legacy imprint or history on Sli in general and will continue to put my utmost commitment to it, I personally don't play games really, all my time is dedicated to tuning/testing and whatnot, once your into this, you won't have to time to be playing any games really but I do occasionally at times play games but not much at all.

To my knowledge, till this very day, I think I am the only one in the World thats taking 4-Way Sli to this level of extreme, Amount of time dedicated, invested, utmost committed, taking to its absolute best, no matter what it takes, and top of that, keeping everyone posted, up to date on everything that comes along within my 4-Way Sli work, performance data, etc,etc, Yup, think so, if there is, Very very very unheard of, especially at the age/era in general that we are in now.

Sli is not officially dead, YET, longs I am still committed into this, I'll do whatever it takes to keep it alive, even if its crawling from the cemetery.

And yes, If I was a serious pc gamer, I would only stick to 1 gpu, absolute hands down on this, no questions asked, 1 gpu is the best way to go, absolutely no exceptions period. :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Kevin Mauro and 386SX like this.

11. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I agree with @A M D BugBear I had SLI for many years (460 SLI, 680 SLI, 780Ti SLI, 980 SLI, 980Ti SLI & 1080 SLI). Spent a lot of time tweaking profiles in Nvidia Inspector over the years and just troubleshooting games with spotty SLI support.

When the 1080Ti rolled around I decided to sell both of my 1080 cards and just go with a single GPU with a 1080Ti. I did take a performance hit actually for games with good mGPU support going from 2x1080 to a 1080Ti. By that point in time I just found way too many games that had no SLI support at all or had issues with SLI. I felt like I was spending more time troubleshooting SLI issues than actually playing the games themselves. Also with DX12 and Vulkan becoming more commonplace even though those APIs support multiple GPUs a lot of developers don't want to support that. Sadly with those newer APIs you can't do anything in Nvidia Inspector to try to improve compatibility either.

Not to mention now with how power hungry these new GPUs are my RTX 3080 can easily chew up anywhere from 375W - 420W on really demanding games. I can't imagine trying to keep two cards cool if I had two ~400W GPUs in my system. At least a lot of people I've seen doing 3090 SLI builds are putting them on water, with how power hungry they are you almost need to!

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nop , nada , zero , it does not work , i do own 2x rtx 3090s and it does not work , tested and tried many games , tested nvidia inspector with many profiles and what not = No Go , it does not work.
    I use it for Timespy and Port Royal benchmarks if that's useful lol :D

I only use one in my main gaming rig and the other one is heavily v.moded with evc2 controller and what not running kingpin 1000w xoc bios for sub-sero benchmarking only , it's a Strix and is my play toy for benchies.

https://hwbot.org/submission/4618443_chispy_3dmark___port_royal_2x_geforce_rtx_3090_28904_marks

https://hwbot.org/submission/4618521_chispy_3dmark___time_spy_2x_geforce_rtx_3090_37004_marks

Deleted member 268800 and jura11 like this.
  13. animeowns

animeowns Member

GPU:
    Titan
    yeah so this will be first generation I go without sli I guess maybe the 4090 will be the beast that we really need to hit that magic number 4k @ 120hz in control