Nvidia GPU scaling bad quality

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by nklvjvc, Feb 10, 2021.

1. nklvjvc

nklvjvc Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Hello, i recently upgraded from 750Ti to 2060 and since then i have "bad" picture in csgo. It always makes some shadows around crosshair etc. ( https://imgur.com/a/1voWuCZ ) I tried reinstalling drivers with DDU, reinstalling windows and still same. Yesterday i found one old post to use CRU to enable in nvidia to use scaling - display instead of GPU and it made all picture issues gone but display scaling would only work on 60Hz. Is there anything i can do to fix or improve quality in games with using GPU scaling and what is cause of this? Thanks.

RTX 2060
    Ryzen 3600
    MSI B450M Gaming Plus
    Monitor XL2411P

and please dont mention drawoutline command :)

2. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    good, stop cheating.

cucaulay malkin and Agonist like this.
  4. nklvjvc

nklvjvc Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2060

5. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    wat :D

Very strange, throughout the years i have never encountered that there is no "Display" under scaling options and i have been nvidia customer for a long time. Dont know what to tell ya, try cleaning drivers with DDU or maybe search why your display doesnt show up in scaling options. Dunno.

theoneofgod likes this.
  6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I have always had the option to do display or GPU scaling. It could very well be his monitor just doesn't have a scaling chip, not all monitors do, especially low-cost ones.

Edit: he does seem to have a scalar chip so don't know what's up there.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    These users have been using the driver to stretch out 4:3 so that enemies in csgo are fatter and easier to hit.

it doesn't work anymore.

Agonist, Mda400 and PPC like this.
  8. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    ah, good to know.

9. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Some monitors have no onboard scaling chip.. this is sometimes typical of gaming monitors 144Hz or higher as the scaler chips can add 2-6ms additional latency.

Asus PG278Q 1440p 144Hz Gsync Display
    [​IMG]

Now my other monitor is a AOC 1080p 60Hz display and has the option available to do scaling on the display.
    [​IMG]

Redemption80, JAMVA, Noisiv and 2 others like this.
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Interesting, do you know, would it be better to do the scaling on the GPU or Display then? Is there a difference in terms of input delay/input lag? Do they look the same in terms of image quality? Thanks,

On my system at least, Nvidia defaults that dropdown to "GPU" in the driver, not display but I do have display as a selectable option.

11. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    to me input latency doesnt matter, no human can respond to 10ms even if they claim they can.

The differences I have observed is back when Nvidia first added these options, e.g. play warcraft 3 using display scaling broke the game, it stretched out the image to widescreen. Nvidia implemented GPU scaling as well as the override option, and using the override option combined with gpu scaling fixed warcraft 3.

I also believe for certain custom resolutions to work, gpu scaling needs to be enabled, as well as for integer scaling.

It comes down to what your monitor is capable of doing for scaling, and whether you think the gpu can do a better job or not, thats the way i have always treated the option. I dont have performance as a consideration, only if I get a correct image on the screen, and the features it enables.

Redemption80 likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Theres no latency difference between gpu scaling and a good panel scaler these days,

anyone claiming they can feel it is an escapee from an institution.

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You don't know if your monitor has a low latency scaler or not. That's the main issue. This is not tested, ever, in any monitor reviews.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Make sure the "GPU scaling" checkbox is disabled in the 3D Settings "Image sharpening" option.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    in which case GPU scaling will always win.

16. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    I remember hooking up one of my old Apple aluminium 23" HD display - M9178LL/A to the 1080Ti and there was no display scaler. If I remember correctly, I think the 30" Apple Display may have had a display scaler. Sadly I cannot remember. The 23" definitely did not.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    All monitors that are intended for use on a PC have scalers. They need to be compatible with standard VESA modes, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see anything when you boot the PC or during the installation of an OS.

Redemption80, janos666 and Noisiv like this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No they don't.

Scaling has nothing to do with VESA modes.

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    How so?

20. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    If you force GPU scaling/enable the GPU scaling checkbox in the control panel (under sharpening), do we know what algorithm they’re using for the upscale?

When I go to the section of the control panel with the “aspect ratio” “do scaling on the gpu” “override checkbox” “integer scaling” it’s all greyed out if I have that “gpu scaling” checkbox by sharpening turned on.

Are they just doing Bilinear up scaling? Is it something else like bicubic?

In the past I remember reading online for sites like this one (sadly it looks like the images are broken now): https://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/bilinear-vs-bicubic.htm

Where they conclude bicubic would be better for upscaling while bilinear would be better for downscaling for example — iirc CEMU uses that by default (bicubic for upscale/bilinear for downscale).

It would be nice to have visibility into how exactly they’re doing the upscale and to have control even over which algorithm to use at that seems to me for Nvidia gpu scaling.