Mass Effect is not dead?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by mbk1969, Dec 3, 2018.

1. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Honestly, I've never liked this new trend of removing / tweaking parts of games because "now" they're considered "awkward" or "problematic". I don't remember hordes of angry people protesting when ME2 came out, so I see no reason to change what were highly acclaimed games (even by the same gaming "press" that is so progressive/woke to modern issues today). Who's to say what is "awkward"? If awkwardness is a criteria, then please remove all of the sex scenes in ME3, as they have been highly awkward since day one (sex/shower in underwear, weird dialogue, etc.), and a few of those in ME2 (Jacob's meme-tastic pre-sex pillow talk comes to mind). Remove/change the way the side-quests work in ME3, where you pick up hearsay without interacting, and then just offload loot to surprised bystanders (that is also highly awkward). We could go on this way for a while.

No one complained about these games in this manner for years (over a decade for ME1 and ME2, iirc), and now is the time to "rectify" some old wrongs? Also, why add in more intensive lens flare? Why change the sky when Sovereign takes off in the beginning of the game (my guess there will be more pointless changes like this)? Why render the game twice because of reflections, while staying on the old engine that will not take this lightly, and skyrocketing the CPU requirements to a Ryzen 3700x (wouldn't be an issue for me, I guess, since I have that CPU). I get the changes to ME1's combat system, since that one was considered clunky even back then, and while I didn't find it that big of an issue, the latter games played more fluently (even if the RPG elements got stripped down severely).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    These are completely different things in ME2 - Miranda`s ass and femShep sitting in skirt. Miranda was placed and focused intentionally - hence it provoked SJW. femShep was originally clothed in military pants and there was nothin unusual/special/provoking in her sitting with wide open legs, but then they added Kasumi DLC and femShep was given optional dress - sitting in that dress was awkward and ugly a bit - it was not a decision and now they want it "fixed".

We will see whether they "fix" Miranda. I do not believe media this days since all they want is to create a sensation to bait more and more visitors.

3. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I get the dress, as it's more or less a badly designed (new) addition to an already existing game. As of Miranda, well, yes, it was done on purpose. But again, where were the complaints back then? You're right, this could all be false, but at this age, I wouldn't be surprised.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    So what if they had someone working at the studio who was a racist? How are his personal views at all relevant? How good he is at his job, is what is relevant... but you sound like a typical SJW twerp...

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    It's because it is a hypocrisy on the side of Bioware. They do these changes now due to political correctness, some sense and signal of being "woke" and virtuous, but at the same side they employed an overt racist who indirectly represents them. If that guy was spewing the same racist bile, but targeted at blacks, he would have been fired the same day and would be unable to get a job anywhere. Instead he worked for Bioware for years.

Oh well, looking at the last few titles Bioware produced, it is likely to soon get taken behind the barn and shot by EA, anyway. The rule just always works: if you go woke you go broke.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    pandering nonsense. it do little theater for $$$$$$$$$$$.

if they could ban straws they would.

f this nonsense.

7. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Heh, probably, I installed the Mass Effect trilogy on my "retro" windows XP PC to see how far I could push it. With an e8400, GTX555 and texture mods, part 2 and 3 run @60fps locked (on a 1280x1024 CRT :)) ME1 runs like doodoo though. 30-40fps. That game runs so weird.

One of my 3700X cores is almost twice as fast as the entire e8400..... so if they didn't improve the threading of the game (likely), but did increase the load to about 2x for the CPU. Still a weird choice then, an i3 would have been sufficient as well then. But then again, they then can't use the other 14 threads to mine bitcoin :p

As for asses, I don't care much about that. I care more about the trilogies ending; if they don't replace that, which they probably won't: whoops there goes my entire interest in this remaster.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    No way i'm paying 60$ for 15years old game, that i've already bought nontheless.

cerebus23 likes this.
  9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    To be called sjw is pretty funny dude, that takes the cake for me, that is legit hilarious... if disliking censorship and racism makes someone "sjw" then that is hilarious.....

I always thought sjw are like the political and social activist types that have infected a lot of the large video game studios which is now resulting in a lot of the really crazy decisions we are seeing with video games the past few years, one of them funnily enough being the censorship of the Mass Effect trilogy via this "remaster", Same with DICE and what we saw with Battlefield 5, same with The Last of Us Part II.

2021... gosh this year is just going to get weirder isn't it, I can just feel it.. we've got video game journalists saying fictional characters having buttocks shown in video game's is bad so censoring them is completely ok... but at the same time those same people are saying ohh please step on me giant titty vampire lady.

The reality of the situation is Bioware understood that if players discovered the censorship themselves via playing the game without knowing ahead of time then there would be an absolutely huge outrage, by revealing their intent to censor certain scenes ahead of time they are aiming to have less outrage by the time the "remaster" is released.

Personally I am also not buying the games again, I will wait for someone to rip the textures from the remaster and have them available as a mod for the original video games.

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    they activists first and last.

anything they get into they there to destroy.

11. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    the people who visioned the first ME as a trilogy space drama are long gone, not a part of Bioware projects anymore. the products Bioware released years after - Anthem and Andromeda are light years inferior ( my opinion ) to their past games, and gladly both of those games received mediocre\crap scores on release. if EA wishes to rebrand Bioware - good luck see you later, people that finds fun playing those games should go ahead and buy it. same thing goes for the next ME project, if they have a vision to bring another Andromeda with 12-years-old level of writing and character animations that have frog eyes with tired faces - so be it. i don't expect anything from Bioware anymore, i only follow ME because it interest me. that's why i don't see why Bioware are hypocrite.. this is nothing more than a modernize version of a glorious series. if they will remove Miranda's ass completely from all of the scenes, i won't buy it. if they will censor every little thing or make conversation changes - i won't buy it. this remaster is anything BUT bad news, because the original series will remain intact.

do you expect anything good from Bioware at this point ? people should know better. i prefer 100 bad remasters, than 1 Andromeda. why ? because after 1 title like Andromeda they can't do shi* to improve their next projects unless they fire everyone.

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I agree with the games you mention being ruined by SJW twerps.

But i dont see how an employees political views (including being a racist) are at all relevant, if they are good at their job, and keep their personal views to themselfs when at work. That is the issue with the SJW types at dice that made bf5 crash and burn as hard as it did... they forced through their moronic political views in a game, to an audience that very clearly does not appreciate it... and anyone with half a brain would have known that beforehand. But the SJW movement is just stupendously strong in sweden, the home of dice...

13. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I'm not entirely sure, as I don't follow social media, but wasn't the issue that he started posting openly racist tweets towards caucasians (on Twitter, or something)? I vaguely remember that being the catalyst for the drama.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The political views of a racist? I don't think that is relevant to the individual being racist...

I don't remember anything about "politics" being an issue with the individual, I wasn't following it too closely at the time so maybe there is something I don't know... All I remember is the outrage over the individual being overtly racist and Bioware not doing anything for a long time despite the backlash leading up to the release of ME:A... then ME:A released, the individual gets yeeted, then the ME:A bugs started becoming the big topic and the rest is history.

I'm sure there are others here who love ME:A, for me it will forever be one of the worst video games I have ever not finished.

@emperorsfist This is what I remember also....

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    If that is the case, then it ofc changes things - if he did it at work hours, or with a work related account.

But my point is just that i think personal views shouldnt affect peoples jobs - if you fired everyone who has political views you dont agree with / dont find acceptable, youd have majority of the population being unemployed...

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    All the idiocracy aside... the funny part was when ME:A released you could not create a character with light skin, this feature had to be patched in later.. I think it was patch 1.08 or 9.

Some good jokes write themselves.

My character was asian *shrugs*

17. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    this is not a regular job for the sake of your argument. when you can implant your views\life agendas etc.. in a product that millions of people play it, that's different. now i don't care about those issues since i keep my political\opinions to myself, im just saying.. it's not the same case if you go to work and talk about your agendas, or you put it in a future game that will sell 5 mill copies, and it's right in everyone's face.

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Hmm, i played andromeda on release, and had no issues playing a white guy - shitty game, but that part worked xD

That's my point... if you keep your political views to yourself during work hours, then it shouldn't matter what you believe in. But that is usually the issue with SJW types... they need to preach to everyone...

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It was pale skin tone that was added I believe along with more control of the shade of skin.. your comment made me go the heck am I remember it wrong, checked change log and it's there, under 1.08 for improved character creator https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Patches_and_Updates_(Mass_Effect:_Andromeda)

Then doing a search and seeing people on the gamefaqs forums complaining about the lack of choice regarding light skin..... I know this is so freaking stupid that this is even a thing and the fact I'm even talking about it.

This is my first character from release date, it was a nice looking character I though.

[​IMG]

Then this is my second character from second attempted play-through, this one is a preset downloaded... from... I think it was the nexusmods... the halo head thingy was cool.

[​IMG]

20. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    still, the issue remains the studio. if the final product that we play - has issues on it's quality, i don't care about searching individuals with agendas, i just point my finger at the studio and put a trusty review on Steam telling people what i like, dislike etc. that's the only thing we can do, sometimes we can also refund. if people search individuals like those type of things that happened on Andromeda's release, and point finger on those twitter accounts etc, they are simply acting by the sentence - "feeding the troll". the right way is always to refund, put in a worthy\sharp review, and move on.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021