Apple is allegedly working on a 3000 USD VR-Headet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    The thousand dollar stand everyone.

tfam26 likes this.
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On entry level phone and with provider bonus they are less expensive than Samsung...
    Not every one have over 1000 Euro to put in a smart phone (same as GPU, everyone talk about top high end but most will buy entry or medium GPU.) .
    Also it may explain how Apple have dominate the market in end 2020, as it wasn't expected to reach and keep the 1st place in sale.

3. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    VR is booming, Quest 2 and Half Life Alyx was the push we all needed.

4. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I bet its a nice to get new phone as part of the contract, thats how many people can get a new iPhone every year.

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3000 bucks? Cannot be, must be 30000.

6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    That was what became Google Cardboard? I mean, not to degrade that, using your smartphone as a VR display is cool, but the difference between that and using an actual VR headset like a Quest 2 or Index, that's just night and day. Especially considering that 5 years ago was when VR was nascent.
    The Quest 2 is basically Daydream realised, a powerful smartphone that becomes a VR headset that is both stand-alone and tetherable to a gaming system, or via Wifi if you've got a good enough signal strength.

Yes, it has limitations in one way, sort of, I guess, you can play any game in VR via a virtual desktop app and just have a 200" screen inside that if you like. But the same way, normal gaming has limitations compared to VR.

Have you tried a Quest2 ? I mean, the display isn't the greatest in the world for blacks and the field of view is not nearly as next-gen as its resolution. Just the fact that the screendoor effect is reduced by 99,9% over every other headset I've seen, means that you see things so clearly and without the whole blurriness. It's just hell to actually run it at native res, but less than that is also workable, there's some good scaling going on.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I need to try my kid's new headset (Rift S). It's lighter and it uses local tracking rather than having little satellites. Screen-door effect is gone and it doesn't make your head tired. The controllers are much lighter and you can see outside of VR without taking off the headset (using the tracking cameras). That's his opinion of it after having a Rift+ before this one. For $300. If he wanted an Apple VR though, he'd have to learn how it's good to want things. Builds character.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    To me VR is just a bit of fun. Something to try and experience. Google understood this too. I couldn't see myself paying full price for the complete VR experience, like the PSVR or the Oculus.

9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    I wouldn't put much faith in what Google understands about everything - they aren't really known for their consisteny in most areas outside of their core business.

And isn't that what gaming is? :p a bit of fun? A Quest 2 costs less than a mid-range GPU these days.

I'm not some kind of VR afficionado, it's just a bit of fun for me too and I mainly got a Quest 2 because it was cheap, I had disposable income and I wanted to be able to experience VR things too.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Gaming is all about different experiences, so in that respect VR is great. I wear glasses. The experience is somewhat tainted because it's not very comfortable and puts strain on my glasses.

ZXRaziel and AlmondMan like this.

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This is how Apple markets. I bet this doesn't even see the light of day,or its being misrepresented intentionally as a gaming headset.

12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Ah - well, I had people in my Quest over the holidays that wear glasses - there's a "glasses spacer" that comes included that provides some space inside the device for glasses to fit better. Just information - you should give it another go sometime and experience it :) it's pretty cool now with a modern title, compared to what we used to have.
    The space for standing experiences is certainly the most damning issue - I have to move my PC and stuff to the living room and then move half my furniture around in order to be able to use it if I want a PC experience. Can of course play games that are native to the device, but the PC ones just look so much better ...

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    "Valve appears to be placing a temporary hold on Valve Index RMAs (return merchandise authorisation) in the UK, due to Brexit. This means customers with faulty VR headsets must wait until 'the issue' is resolved before proceeding with a return, although Valve says it is working with its distributor to mitigate further disruption".

14. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Almond man ,
    No I have not tried that one , I will look in to it .
    Thank you .

AlmondMan likes this.
  15. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Stopped reading.

16. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Ah Brexit. Causing endless amounts of trouble for the population. Good on ya, Tories.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050