RTX 30xx Drivers on Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Arnox, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Arnox

Arnox Guest

GPU:
    Quadro RTX 4000
  2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Yes it is strange that even Nvidia lists it here,

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/167104/en-us

But it doesn't work either.

Strange that they also let you select Windows 8.1 as an available OS in their driver download page only for the 30 series card but offer no driver, yet for the 20 series cards they don't even have Windows 8.1 as a selectable option.

So you might be better off asking Nvidia why such things are. Everyone else is just relaying the information they post.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  3. Arnox

Arnox Guest

GPU:
    Quadro RTX 4000
    How though? Go on their forums and you'll see how much they care when you see their main drivers forum is filled with spam that nobody is apparently even bothering to clean up.

With that said, for some weird ass reason, I can get Windows 8.1 drivers for my Quadro RTX 4000, but for the main GeForce 20xx line, apparently that's much too tall of an order.

I mean, seriously, what the frack, Nvidia? How lazy can you be?

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Since Nvidia changed their forum outlay/software I stopped going there, it is literally the worst forum structure I have ever seen.

Turanis and chinobino like this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the 7 and 8 driver are one and the same package, but there is no advertised 3k support for 8 anywhere, 2k wasn't even supposed to have any but the infs were already set up and the code implemented for it.

6. greenhillmaniac

greenhillmaniac New Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 Ti
    I've tried INF modding the Windows 7 drivers to include Windows 8.1 for my RTX 3060 TI, but after installing they don't initialize and throw error code 43 on the Device Manager. If I had to guess, Nvidia is explicitly blocking NT 6.2 and NT 6.3 installation of the driver with newer RTX 30xx cards. A shame, since 8.1 is still a decent OS.

7. Arnox

Arnox Guest

GPU:
    Quadro RTX 4000
    You can mod Windows 8.1 easily to look, feel, and function just like 7 and even Vista. That along with its much better native driver support makes it an absolute step up over Windows 7. Which pisses me off even more because due to Nvidia's insane laziness/incompetence (at least, that's how I'm gonna take this until we hear differently), you're now just flat out denied from using the better OS if you have a 30xx series card at all.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    greenhillmaniac likes this.
  8. greenhillmaniac

greenhillmaniac New Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 Ti
  9. Arnox

Arnox Guest

GPU:
    Quadro RTX 4000
    I posted a reply requesting they release a tutorial on how to do this. This block is so stupid and makes me so damn mad that we're forced to do Nvidia's job for them.

greenhillmaniac likes this.
  10. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Nvidia should address this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they already did.

Windows 8 doesn't show up in the driver selection when you set your device as turing or apere.

sapo_joe likes this.
  12. Arnox

Arnox Guest

GPU:
    Quadro RTX 4000
    No, it's still there for Ampere: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

And even if they cleaned it up, it still doesn't solve anything nor does it even explain why they can't just copypaste the Windows 7 drivers for use in Windows 8.1.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it isn't.

upload_2021-2-10_7-28-23.png

sapo_joe likes this.
  14. Arnox

Arnox Guest

GPU:
    Quadro RTX 4000
    You're right about there not being a Windows 8 listing for Turing but there is for Ampere. (Although technically, you can make the Turing drivers install to 8 really easily and work just fine.)

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    8.1 mainstream support ended quite some time ago. Besides, I don't see any reason to not upgrade to Windows 10.

sapo_joe likes this.

16. Arnox

Arnox Guest

GPU:
    Quadro RTX 4000
    7's mainstream support ended even earlier than that, yet that's getting drivers.

And Windows 10 has the following major issues:
    - Forced automatic updates
    - Buggy builds getting constantly shipped out as updates
    - Privacy issues
    - Windows 10 being the "last" Windows version to be released (and what that implies for dev work)
    - Removing programs that used to be bundled into the Windows OS and selling them back to the user (examples include Solitaire and the Windows Ink Sketchpad)
    - Microsoft just generally fighting with users for control of their own systems such as updates often "accidentally" reenabling or redisabling a setting or registry key that the user set explicitly or installing unwanted programs or etc.
    - Very questionable performance
    - No HomeGroup

And even if none of that existed, what the hell does Windows 10 even offer over 8.1 besides better driver support? Better stylus support I guess, but beyond that, nothing. Windows 10 isn't something you "upgrade" to. It's something you use because you're forced to.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    8.1 is usability nightmare compared to 10. 8.1 obviously lacks DirectX 12 support. The reason why they axed 8.1 is that nobody uses it and those who use 7 still use it or upgraded to 10.

There's nothing questionable about the performance. I doubt that the privacy is any better on 8.1. I've not had any major issues with the updates and 35 days to defer updates is long enough time. When it comes to homegroup I'm just glad that it's gone. Couldn't care less about Solitaire or Ink pad (OneNote is probably better anyway).

18. tfoutfou

tfoutfou Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    i share the same opinion , frack 10

19. peteli

peteli Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Windows 8.1 lol.

20. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Microsoft historically release a good OS, followed by a bad one, followed by a good one, followed by... you get the picture. Win 95 was good. Win 98 sucked. XP was good, 8 (and its variations) sucked, 10 is good and they gave it more of a Windows 7 feel to be honest. Not sure why some people remain are 10'aphobes