3090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 24, 2020.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Hello! Where did you find the KFA2 bios? I can't seem to find it in TechPowerUp.

2. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    In the standard O11 Dynamic I have 3x120mm bottom intake fans, 3x120mm top exhaust and a 360mm AIO side mounted as intake, oh not to mention the 92mm fan on the back of the card to keep the rear vram cool, that never goes over 90c.
    There is no way I could run my card at stock, like you saw in those screenshots the card cooks itself, yet I'm being told by the retailer who's tested 2 of the card it's normal.
    I haven't gamed on the card properly since I've had it, it's just so loud and unenjoyable to use, don't get me wrong the performance is there, just dealing with the noise it like a jet engine, I've had reference cards quieter than this.
    Thought about repasting, but I'm not breaking the warranty sticker if there is something up with the card.

I have a 5900x, that never goes over 75c with the AIO.

There's another guy with the iChill x3 over at overclock.net who's having the same issue I am, card is just stupidly hot and loud.

I didn't want to spend another $1000 on water cooling, just seems like I don't have a choice.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/226355/kfa2-rtx3090-24576-200911

3. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    My 5950x definitely goes above 75C with the NH-D15, but it's not really constant. You saw my screenshots. I have a custom fan profile, but as you can see it usually sits around 60% mostly.

Thanks for the link, but that card seems also to have a 350W BIOS. Ours seems to have a 370W but it never reaches that point. Max I've seen reported was 354W by Afterburner. I wonder if that relies on specific thermal conditions in the VRM. I saw that the cards do have 4x POSCAP + 2x 10 MLCC. See here: Andreas Schilling on Twitter: "Inno3D GeForce RTX 3080 iChill X3/X4: 5x POSCAP + 1x 10 MLCC Inno3D GeForce RTX 3090 iChill X3/X4: 4x POSCAP + 2x 10 MLCC https://t.co/A1eHZqNrj2" / Twitter

I don't really have any stability issues at all, despite the overclock. Maybe there is an issue with how the cooler is seated, but in a room with 20-25C air this card shouldn't be hitting 80C. If for any chance you are not stable at stock you should RMA.

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Here is correct KFA2 390W BIOS

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/226727/226727

Running same on my Palit RTX 3090 GamingPro, if temperatures are not issues you can try Kingpin XOC 1000W BIOS(my recommendation is keep it at 65-70% power limit )

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Inno3d iChill RTX 3090 are running hot, friend have same problem with his iChill RTX 3090 and other friend have RTX 3070 from Inno3d as well and same issue, high temperature literally close to thermal throttling

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    See that's the problem, the retailer tested another card which is acting exactly the same as mine, so RMAing won't be happening
    Card is stable, but downclocking under the stock 1695Mhz.

I did try the Gigabyte 390w BIOS on the card, temps went down, that's only because it used a much more aggressive fan curve, I also lost the ability to monitor VRAM temps, so I just went back to stock, then undervolted the card which has given me lower temps plus a stable clock speed.

I ordered a GPU block anyway, first time water cooling, but it's not a bad thing, Australian summers get brutal Aircon or not, humidity on the coast sucks :(

jura11 likes this.
  7. ClowReed

ClowReed Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090FTW3 Ultra
    Hello, folks!
    I'm thinking about buying one of these beasts, and here where I live the EVGA 3090 FTW3 is cheaper than the ASUS TUF... But, doing some research I found that those EVGAs are getting a lot of red light of death... So... Maybe TUF is a better option here? I'm planning to keep this vga for a LONG Time (and crunching or mining when idle), so a good cooling and durability is paramount here.
    Thanks so much in advance for any input.

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    @ClowReed

Personally I would go with brand which have best warranty if you thinking to keep it, if gere is available EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 or Kingpin I would get it, I'm still around 400th in queue for Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC but probably will not be getting one

Yup seems EVGA this generation have some issues and higher failure rate than normal

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

ClowReed likes this.
  9. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    That's how I ended up with the Inno3D, it was that or the PNY, I was planning on buying a RTX 3080 Strix, haha, I had more chance of winning the lotto then getting my hands on one of them.
    Don't get me wrong once you tame the temps of the Inno3d the card it's a great performer, no worse than any of the other 2x8pin reference card out there.

I even paid $200 over retail for a 5900x, but we needed another full system build as my son started a 3D design course, had no choice.
    He got my 9900k/2080ti machine I built the new one.

ClowReed and jura11 like this.
  10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    PNY I never owned or tried and can't comment on these GPUs and regarding the Inno3D friends have like 3090 or 3070 from them and their main issue are temperatures, usually in high 70's to 80's

Under water you will see how good it is, on my Palit RTX 3090 GamingPro and Bykski waterblock temperatures are under 40°C, usually in 36-38°C as max and clocks are usually in 2115-2145MHz range, in some games it can clock to 2160-2190MHz and VRAM seems is sweet spot around 1200-1275MHz

Friend running same GPU(Palit RTX 3090 GamingPro) in Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL, he is running 10900k with 5.3GHz with 360mm 30mm radiator on top and 240mm 30mm radiator at bottom and his temperatures are in high 40's to low 50's with fans spinning at 1200RPM but his build is so quiet, oump is making more noise than fans on loop

I was planning getting 5900X/5950X too but no stock here

3D Design is worth it there, I use my PC for rendering too and it CUDA based apps or renderers RTX 2080Ti is still great GPUs

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

ClowReed likes this.

11. ClowReed

ClowReed Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090FTW3 Ultra
    Thank you guys for the fast reply!
    Actually here we have these available: EVGA FTW3 (which I am very inclined to get), Galax SG (which comes with an aditional cooler for the back plate), Asus TUF (OC), PNY XLR8, Gigabyte Vision OC, Zotac Trinity (the cheapest of them), Gainward Phoenix and Leadtek WinFast Hurricane (never heard of them).
    Since I expect to let this thing roll 24/7 (I almost never turn my pc off), the aditional cooler of the Galax seems nice and overall I heard good things about the TUF. Afaik all of them have 3 years warranty.

12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Probably I would go with EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 if I could choose, Asus RTX 3090 TUF I quite like and seems their coolers are one of the best, Galax RTX 3090 SG I tried and friend have that one in loop, no issues temperatures are okay under water, VRAM stable at 1000MHz and that additional cooler for backplate if you will be doing any kind of mining my recommendation put or slap 2*120mm fans on the backplate, it will lower VRAM temperatures by good margin at least in my case

Zotac its one of the poorest built RTX 3090 on market, they literally cheapen on that GPU, Gigabyte Vision hard to say and with PNY too, I really can't comment on them

My PC too is running 24/7 and don't have any issues with running 24/7

Regarding the warranty, EVGA have one of the best warranty period

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

ClowReed likes this.
  13. ClowReed

ClowReed Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090FTW3 Ultra
    Amazing tips, Jura! Sure I will look into those 2 fans on the backplate! People say gddr6x temps are a real problem on these cards, causing a lot of throttle.
    Thanks a lot!

14. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    I'll be side mounting a 360mm and top mounting a 280mm rad, it'll make for a super neat run.
    The res will be mounted to the top of one of the bottom 120mm intake fans (there's 3), so the DDC pump with get some direct cooling as well.

15. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

If you are thinking mining then my recommendation is lower core something like 100-150MHz and just OC VRAM,these mining SW or apps do like high clocks on VRAM,which one clocks best from above mentioned GPUs,I would suspect Asus TUF or EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 or Galax can do something like 1000MHz,my Palit RTX3090 GamingPro will do stable 1200-1275MHz and VRAM temperatures or TJunction for memory is in 50-60's after 24 hour render in Cycles and usually VRAM usage on my GPUs is in range of 8GB on RTX2080ti's and on RTX3090 usually VRAM usage is in 15GB

You can try without the fans and with fan placed on backplate if this makes difference,other way how to reduce VRAM temperatures is use copper heatsink and strap on that heatsink 120mm fan,in my case VRAM temperatures won't go beyond 60

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

ClowReed likes this.

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I couldn't mount in his case side mount 360mm radiator because as for reservoir we are been using Distro plate,that's why we are used on top 360mm and on bottom 240mm radiator,single 360mm would struggle cool 10900k with RTX3090,only once I have tried 9900k with RTX2080Ti to cool with single 360mm radiator and temps hasn't been terrible but not good too,CPU temps with 5.2GHz OC have been in 90's and GPU temps in low 50's,currently friend is happy with the build and temps are under control and I don't think I can improve it more,probably with faster fans temps would be bit better and for radiators I chosen HWLabs GTS360 and Aphacool

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

17. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    you would get much better under water, for some reason the latest Nvidia driver is not approved, this was the first run I did after swapping CPUs with my Wife she now has my 3950 and I the 3900x as she does large spread sheets and will use it more
    upload_2021-2-8_10-48-57.png

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Have you heard if I lose any sensors with that BIOS? Or any ports? I am still pondering if I should do this, since I'm still waiting on my new power supply, I'm currently on a 750W EVGA G2. No stability issues at all so far, but I also have a 5950x on T_T

I don't know if I'm lucky, but mine seems OK. I got mine two weeks ago. I wonder if they changed anything with the cooler later. How long ago did your friends purchase the cards?
    How are you going to handle the warranty stickers? I want to eventually watercool this (preferably before summer), but these stickers annoy me to no end. I am not even sure if they're legal here in Germany.

19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I don't think you will loose any sensors or any ports with KFA2 390W BIOS, same applies for XOC 1000W BIOS, with Gigabyte 390W BIOS you will loose DP port, if you are on 750W PSU I would rather wait on new PSU and flash it later on there when you get new PSU

Friends GPUs are something like 1 month old, they bought them this year, temperatures are higher now, friend will be returning his GPU back because if temperatures are high right now, in summer I'm expecting they'll hit thermal throttling

Regarding the warranty sticker, you should be okay, I always water cool GPUs, but be certain on that, I would ask around on that

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Mine seems to be working fine, honestly, I'm even getting good 3D Mark scores. I'm planning on watercooling it later.