Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GSDragoon, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Fair enough then, sure. Thought you selected it for playback performance...

1080@60 Youtube video - mem jumps from 200 to roughly 700. Nothing playing - constant 200. 144Hz here.

30 and 60 videos are smooth. I have Home Video selected, which seems to include Steady Video...

2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    You dont have the insidder preview installed so you wont see it

3. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    Playing video with PotPlayer - everything is fine and smooth. But if I try to play youtube 60 fps video on 75Hz monitor - it's not smooth at all.
    Somehow PotPlayer can handle much better the difference in fps of the video and the monitor. Youtube player in the browser (Chrome) isn't so good.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Couldn't it also be AMD if the playback is smooth if you disable hardware acceleration or if possible just hardware media playback.
    Suppose using CRU and hiding the 75Hz is also a workaround but not a good fix either.

EDIT: Actually maybe I'm reading this wrong and it's mostly to do with VESA and timings and the RAM states again.

Having to edit the 75Hz values so you can keep the idle clock state instead of the GPU going up to the active state if this is desired. :)

5. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    The use of hardware acceleration in Chrome affects the smoothness of video playback (60 to 75). With HW acceleration on - it's the same as in PotPlayer. But I already had a few system halts (while browsing) probably because of bad HW acceleration implementation in Chrome (or AMD drivers). So I have it switched off for a while to see if I will get it again.

Anyway, AMD drivers should restore the proper Hz for the desktop after exiting a game. They do it now ONLY if the resolution is different too.
    If the resolutions (for the game and the desktop) are the same and just Hz are different - drivers don't restore anything after exiting a Vulkan game.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wonder if it's a Vulkan API issue it ends up overriding or trying to override the refresh rate or it persists but yeah the default should be restored on exiting the game that sounds like it's on AMD especially if their own driver reports it as being done but the OS clearly indicates it is still running at the higher mode.

EDIT: Even in windowed or borderless mode used for D3D12 and Vulkan it should be restoring to the former on exit after all not trying to override and keep the new higher value.

7. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    I'm playing videos even on 144Hz panel... no issues. What exactly should be wrong there?

8. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    Nothing really. Just a little offtopic because I mentioned that sometimes I use 60Hz for desktop while I use 75Hz for games.

The real issue is that drivers don't restore proper Hz for desktop after exiting Vulkan games.

9. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Firefox with hardware acceleration giving great results for me now. Not sure if it was the driver or browser update that did it, but I'm not getting frame drops in a 4k/60 Youtube video I bookmarked for testing. Using Freesync...

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Digilator, Direfield, HD64G and 2 others like this.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    So assuming this is true.
    New unreleased DirectX 12 only games then and otherwise nothing?

EDIT: Sounds like it's similar with Enhanced Radeon Boost too if it's leveraging VRS for it's effect.

EDIT: Upcoming AMD sponsored games...rumored March driver for Adrenaline.

Far Cry 6 then. Well maybe.
    We now launch this feature here it is available in...
    Nothing.

Yeah they do need at least some showcase for it.

Undying likes this.
  12. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    You use freesync and you comment the smoothness of playing 60 fps video on 75 Hz monitor?!? :D

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If its like dlss it will need a supported games. FC6 could be the showcase for it idk amd needs something. Honestly i was hopping any game so far could benefit from this not waiting the developers to implement the feature. Interesting times ahead.

JonasBeckman and SpajdrEX like this.
  14. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Yup! :cool:
    You've tried setting video to Home and using acceleration in Firefox? Doubt it should by stuttering for you either way - Chrome or not...

15. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    I can't believe that we still discuss my not existing problem with video playback of youtube videos. I just said that I prefer the playback of 60 fps video to be on a 60Hz monitor. Interpolation of 60 fps to 75 can't be as smooth as 60->60 without any interpolation.
    I have HW acceleration switched on in my Chrome settings and I have no problem with that. Just 60->60 is better than 60->75.

16. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Isn't it possible to use DirectML along with any version of DX, and even Vulkan? For example, one can run a DX9 game on one screen and Vulkan on another, correct?
    Also, does it look like Super Resolution is vendor/architecture agnostic to you too? GCN may indeed get this, with RDNA2 simply being faster...

JonasBeckman likes this.
  17. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Seems to be some confusion somewhere...maybe it is me... Cheers :cool:

Out of curiosity, I just tried some 50 fps videos @ 120Hz and 60 fps @ 100Hz() = smoothness with Freesync off...shame you have such poor interpolation...

18. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Would make sense to me for it to work like other post-processes. TVs upscale video signals, while having relatively weak processors(my understanding). Also, there's this: https://www.amazon.com/Marseille-Ne...&pf_rd_r=6YAH1CKSRXMZQ7DXFFA7#customerReviews

Time will tell...

Undying likes this.
  19. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

Do i now?

Attached Files:

• gpu.PNG
      gpu.PNG
      File size:
      45.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  20. HD64G

HD64G Active Member

GPU:
    SapphireRX6750ΧΤ
    No and you better not get into that "insider" thing of windows beta testers on an more beta version than what you have now. You will not be able to return without re-installing windows.