Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I've bought it from steam, so I had no such issue. However, you should go where it actually directs you, in your case steam. Although, if you can just launch it as it is without any 3rd party program, I would probably just leave it as it is and not link it with anything.

2. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Yeah gonna leave it alone for now and when Odyssey comes out if it wants me to link my Frontier account with Steam then so be it, not a problem.

3. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    I like having the separate Frontier launcher for Elite. I don't want to link it to Steam. I hear horror stories of people losing their flight stick configs. It took me ages to fine tune all the buttons and curves. I couldn't bear to go through all that again.

4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I love that it has a pretty great X52 Pro profile that I maybe change 3 keys. But funny enough I attach it to Steam for the FPS counter and easy screenshots. It’s all the other settings I hate redoing like UI behaviour, SRV controls etc

Hypernaut likes this.

5. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Many a thing has occurred since my last posts, been getting more and more into the game and loving it! My quick trip with the DBX earned me enough creds to buy the AspX which is such a great ship to fly, so much so that I'm considering dropping some dosh on a bit of ARX to customize it but we'll see.

Got a bit sidetracked and was determined to do some hauling so went with a T6 and did a few smaller rounds, then heard about the Robigo/Sothis passenger missions so fitted the Asp with some cabins and went off grinding those for a quick buck to pay for a Python which is going to be my new cargo boat for Power Play fortifications ( yeah, got sidetracked in PP too, joined the discords and the lot ). Decided in the end that hauling supplies in PP is tedious as all hell but couldn't find a really tasty, yet affordable combat build for it so may consider buying the Krait Mk2 as a lot of people rate it highly though apparently only for the fighter bay really.

This weekend I wanted to grind out the mats so I can max out the engineering for increased FSD range, lots of laps around Dav's Hope to collect stuff, lots of relog spamming at Jameson's Crash site followed by a lot of planetary prospecting to a point that my head is now spinning but I got my FSD fully engineered now ( not guardian mind you, that's next ). Now my Asp is doing 50ly jumps and I can finally start exploring deeper. Already got credit for mapping a system no one else had which made me happy in my pants!

Still kinda broke and no Conda ( aside for the free one I got from Hutton Orbital ) but I think I'm going to be out there somewhere for a long time and by the time I get back I should get a good payout provided that my ship survives.

Over and out! o7

Backstabak likes this.
  6. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    After discussion here, decided to reinstall. Spent about 2 hours setting up the controls again and learning to fly, but all seems fine. Now I'm debating whether to buy vulture or Asp explorer. Vulture seems like a bit more fun, but it basically has no jump range, also only two hard points (albeit large ones). Any advice?

7. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    What's the purpose you were thinking of buying one of these for ? If it's mainly for exploration then I would just get the Asp X and not worry about the hardpoints, I don't use anything in them as they just slow me down and I don't intend to do combat in it. NPC interdictions are dead easy to avoid now and if you're planning on flying in open and a player interdicts you then chances are they'll blast you out of the sky regardless of what you got in your hardpoints anyway. Can't comment on the Vulture as I haven't tried it.

If you're after something a bit more multipurpose with emphasis on combat, you could grind out the Krait Mk2 which gets a lot of praise, alternatively a Python if trading/passenger missions are more your thing. There are probably a lot of other good options too, my experience is still somewhat limited but this is sort of what I've been going with so far.

Found some chatter here that might answer your questions better: Asp Explorer or Vulture? : EliteDangerous (reddit.com)

8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Thanks for the link, interesting discussion for sure.

Those are fantastic ships, but they are a bit pricey for me. I'll be left with about 15M after trading in the Vulture. Even to get AspX, I'd need to save a quite bit more. That's why I'm considering getting the vulture and then blasting some bounties. I didn't really like the trading that much so small cargo doesn't matter to me, but the tiny jump range on vulture is really what stops me from going for it, since I like to travel from time to time. Plus I don't have engineering yet, so it will be a bit PITA to outfit, as I looked. But I think I'll try it, if I really dislike it and will have no money, I'll just trade in for viper3 or cobra3 and grind with that for AspX.

Btw, had a cool experience yesterday when the cabin glass got blown out in combat. Had to run away, the closest station was 2000Ls away and without front glass there is no overlay making the approach a bit difficult. Anyway, entered the station with 4s of air remaining.

Repo Man likes this.
  9. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
  10. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I have invitation from Felicity, but if I'll go with Vulture I will need the Dweller, since he has upgrades for power and lasers. I guess I'll do the runs today on my viper and then buy the vulture.

11. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Of all the things they could have done in this expansion it looks as if they added the most generic ( in every possible meaning of the word ) shooter to a game where no one really was looking forward to shoot handheld weapons since there are so many games that do it better.

The possibilities for a combination of action and adventure are endless in the ED universe but so far everything I've seen about Odyssey points to generic "go here, do a thing, kill the guys, gtfo!" type of game play. Sure you could argue that most of the gameplay in ED is a bit like that but why no exploration ? you know, scanning of alien relics ? data retrieval from a crashed ships cockpit that could lead to you hunting down a pirate that caused the crash of the ship ? This is my one big problem with Elite Dangerous and I say this even with a lot of love I have for the game but a lot of the actual "game" in the game is really half assed and feels like an afterthought. Not expecting a fully fledged RPG or even a generic MMO but do put a bit of effort in ok ?

If the updated planet generation is patched into the current client I may just give Odyssey a miss because better looking planets is the only thing I was looking for. Everything else just looks a bit dull and knowing Frontier they'll boost the credit income from planetary on-foot missions initially to hook everyone in and then they'll nerf em to the ground.

12. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, after booting it up a couple of weeks ago I got bored rather quickly again and remembered why I didn't really stick with it. It's really amazing when you start with quite a bit of complexity behind most mechanics. However, that really turns repetitive after a while. Separately many mechanics are fun, but there just isn't enough game behind them to matter. It's an ocean wide and an ankle deep puddle. It really struck me when I went on to farm resources for engineering and the best way I found is to farm a couple of specific places with high amount of resources and resetting them by logging in and out of the game. Apparently even official post confirms that this is a legit approach.

Repo Man likes this.
  13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    So many years later and they still haven't implemented any proper anti aliasing. Even the video is full of aliasing shimmer :-/

Pretty much everyone and their grandma do some form of temporal AA in their game. Except Elite. FXAA is where it's at in 2021.

14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Ok so there was a live stream that just ended and I'm a bit more optimistic now. Feel free to check some of it out below though mind you, footage is limited to just the interior of 1 station on this video.

Few things I wasn't aware of that got me exited.

- NPC influence based "bartering" for better mission rewards. While nothing fancy, a neat little touch and extra layer.
    - Genomics(sp?). So from what I've understood this is for analyzing planetary flora and fauna and then selling the data for credits.
    - Frontline Solutions, a larger scale on-foot fps combat scenario. No idea if this is PvE, PvP or a mixture of both but what was discussed in the stream sounds interesting, especially the part about dropping in to action in a drop ship in Starship Troopers style. Gameplay will be some sort of control point style approach where you capture and hold points.
    - Multiple different station interiors, guessing one for each station type but the basic layout will be more or less the same.
    - Trading in planetary settlements has been mentioned.

Alpha roll out schedule

[​IMG]

Aim is to have the alpha go live mid day'ish on Monday ( 29/03/21 ) and depending how things go each phase is planned to last a week but this being alpha expect delays or extensions of phases.

There's a further stream tonight on the Gamesradar Twitch and Youtube channels starting at 21:45 GMT which is supposed to reveal a new feature coming in Odyssey but I got a feeling it'll be a quick showcase for the new Frontline Solutions mode though it could also be something that's been kept under wraps.

In any case I'm actually a bit more pumped about this expansion now and look forward to getting it.

o7

[Edit] So the other new feature that was revealed was Apex Interstellar which is like a taxi service that works in the bubble. Bit of a pointless thing for most but I suppose its an alternative of sorts to people who are allergic to flying themselves. Could prove handy if you're on foot on a planet and your ship gets destroyed, leaving you effectively stranded.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  15. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Been watching a few live streams of the alpha and its turning out to be as bad as I thought. It really does look like they bolted the most generic fps gameplay imaginable into Elite and everyone in the community are busy smelling each others farts over it.

This looks remarkably like the EVE Online fps they introduced to PS3 which failed miserably. I don't care how alpha it is, this is very unlikely to change for release, the only thing this expansion has is the station interiors and new planet generation tech but this fps side looks so weak from what I've seen thus far.

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Alpha builds are test builds.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The fact that they still don't have any working anti-aliasing in this game is quite telling, I think. This game has one of the worst aliasing shimmering I have ever seen in a game, but they seem incapable of implementing some form of modern TAA-based solution, like almost every other game out there has now.

18. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    So Odyssey is out as of now and much to no ones surprise the servers are fairly messed up atm. The ED subreddit is full of posts about atrocious performance and installation issues.

Here's hoping Frontier can sort it all out sharpish but the on-foot performance issues that people are reporting are pretty concerning when you consider that the devs said the game would be more optimised at launch but people are reporting worse performance than in the alpha.

Welcome to the beta I guess, was sort of hoping to play this during a week off soon but I think I'll wait and see what happens.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    TAA has it's downside by blurring, not everyone likes that either.
    ED has FXAA, MLAA1, MLAA2 and SMAA, SMAA works quite well and if that is not enough you can chose to increase supersampling.

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Game runs quite well on my end, but there is a major difference in GPU utilization, seeing it go 20% higher, so my guess is that there are some builds running into GPU throttling issues, since the increase in load also increases temperatures.
    There is another issue though, setting graphical settings from Ultra to Low does not change the utilization, so something is bugged, tried in solo mode to avoid number of other players being an including factor.