Star Trek - Lower Decks

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Raserian, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Hey guys, those of you who did see it, how do you like it? I actually do like it, I have seen 7 episodes so far on amazon prime. Although I am not huge fan of show's rebellious nature I like that it does not take itself too seriously. I also appreciate there had been no gender issues mentioned, so far, this is good.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I'm not interested in cartoons for eleven year old girls.

Hypernaut likes this.
  3. dwolvin

dwolvin Guest

GPU:
    22gb
    I'm hoping to check it out this weekend, looks stupid but might be fun.

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    It's an odd one to sum it.

When the Orville first started what I thought was this is going to be Family Guy / American Dad style humour that takes a direct stab at the stupid in Star Trek. Lower decks is closer to what I thought The Orville was going to be before it turned out that The Orville was actually trying to be like the old Trek we loved.

I am fine with it, it makes enough references to people and things from old Trek without seeming to go out it's way to rewrite established canon, it actually looks like old trek. The Cirratos certainly shares the look of TNG vessels, along with the uniform style and colour and the episodes are engaging enough.

INSTG8R and insp1re2600 like this.

5. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, it's a cartoon it's not that bad actually as it is aimed at adult audience, but I do agree that today the definition of adult audience varies a lot.
    Yea it is a bit stupid but positive in general.
    It is a ship probably used just for this series as I don't remember it being mentioned in previous treks.

As a side note I like it more than Discovery that's for sure.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The writers and the overall theme are essentially in conflict, because in the red corner, you got a very specific audience they are going for, which is 11 year old girls who they want to preach to, and who are about to go through a very complicated part of their lives. In the blue corner, you got writers who are trying to have a sort-of "wish-fulfilment-princess-by-proxy" who are writing a very grown-up self-idealised variant of what they would want from/by living in the future.

"They got a holodeck! Let's use the very first instance of this ever being loaded up to be a men's gymnasium locker room, yeah!"

Srsly? I am the only one seeing the conflict of simple things like 'tone'?

Star Trek is nothing like this. And, I must say it again: IF you want to have a sci-fi show like this, then just write it and get it made, but do not, ever, think you can rewrite Star Trek to make it something that appeals to you, the writer and no one else.

The characters in this cartoon would never had been allowed to get into Starfleet, let alone take the initial entrance exam. These characters only exist in the minds of the writers, and, I'll wager that was a committee discussion over lots of latte's, probably just a few sessions and blammo, they just started working on it with no checks or balances. Total. Utter. Amateurs.

7. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    It's like they took a hyperactive kid's cartoon and stuck Star Trek logos all over it and now it's Star Trek. Ta-da! Honestly, though, if I had kids, I wouldn't let them watch it.

It's made worse by the fact that Star Wars had a lot of kid's cartoon type spinoffs and most of the time they were at least Star-Wars-y, and not some totally unrelated show with Star Wars plastered on the intro.

Hey, remember that other Star Trek cartoon show they made awhile back?

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Yes. It's on Netflix. It's not very good, but then, no cartoons from the early 70's are or were.

Remember Spiderman tv cartoons? Wanna go watch them? No? Thought not. They suck.

AT LEAST, however, that cartoon from the 70's was Star Trek, animated.

This, is not.

INSTG8R likes this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Never heard of Star Trek Lower Decks and I guess I'll never watch it lol.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    "That Star Wars Girl" did a reasonable synopsis, go check, because her epic tirades are always amusing as she can breathe through her eyes and so, never need to take a breath :)

11. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    Roddenberry's vision for Star Trek and for the future, was one of hope, understanding, and human advancement and innovation to the point that the human condition itself advances forward. Current "Star Trek" IE Discovery, Picard and Lower Decks are none of those things and only serve to portray a dark and dismal future where nothing seems to matter. My point here is that current Trek is not at all what Star Trek is supposed to be, it is an entirely different interpretation 180 degrees in the other direction. For me Star Trek cannon stopped after DS9 although I did enjoy Enterprise as well.

This is just my opinion of course.

fantaskarsef and Raserian like this.
  12. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    I think we could argue about canon till the end of time. In practice however, canon is just making a show/movie and sticking ST and starfleet logos all over it and unfortunately we have to accept that. For me, problem are superficial elements, they had been none in TOS but were slowly added to TNG, VOY, DS9 and ENT, yet they didn't go overboard with it. But starting with films In 2013 and 2016, it quickly went transformers route - add some macho male postures and crap relationships followed by CGI and you have a new ST. I think lower decks is not a good star trek show but it is a good modern star trek show as it does not take itself too seriously, which takes off a pressure from viewer to withstand useless scenes featuring contemporary social issues. Sometimes the show is good because it's better than other shows and sometimes it's good because it's less bad than other shows. We are looking at a latter case here.

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I really enjoyed Star Trek movies 2009 and 2013, didn't care for Beyond. Into Darkness was the first movie I saw in iMax and thought it was mind blowing!