GeForce 461.40 WHQL drivers: download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Alberto_It, Jan 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Ohmer

Ohmer Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti DUKE OC
    The value is "0x5" apparently, but I was unable to type it in. For some reason I had to copy and paste the value (used notepad).

Then regedit changes the value to "415" when I saved it. No idea if this is right of course =)

upload_2021-1-29_12-6-29.png upload_2021-1-29_12-8-1.png

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Passo's likes this.
  2. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    My 3090 seems to be spinning up FANS a lot more with these drivers.

3. Passo's

Passo's Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 XC Ultra
    What if I tell you that putting 5 worked?

Now I was genuinely confused because edge is really better now.

Mikstar2020 and Ohmer like this.
  4. Ohmer

Ohmer Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti DUKE OC
    Lol, well like I said, I had no idea if what I did was correct, was just trying to input the value exactly as was stated in the bug report.
    Made no difference to performance for me, so looks like you are correct. I'll give that a try, thanks! :D

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    correct, the reg value is not present by default and the "MPO Disabled" is the presence of the setting at decimal 5.
    to type decimal numbers, you have to set the entry to decimal if more than 10, but this isn't so i dunno whats wrong with your regedit....

Ohmer likes this.
  6. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Was the "BAR status" in the Nvidia Control Panel added only for the Ampere Cards?

I don't see it.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Your post has no value.

8. Alberto_It

Alberto_It Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI SUPRIM X 4090
    I have tryed this driver yesterday, no issues for me.

I played with Cyberpunk and used Microsoft Edge and didn't experience any problems.

I had done clean installation of Windows 10 20h2, made all the necessary updates and everything worked properly.

The technical specifications of my PC on my forum profile.

9. MIXXX

MIXXX Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3070ti GTX 8GB
    I have a 3rd setup with a 950 GTX and latest set seem smooth.
    I play older titles with that setup and all is well.

10. SalamatiQus

SalamatiQus Active Member

GPU:
    4090 Windforce
    Ok, I found a workaround for my case.
    After countless testing I found out that apparently HAGS is causing these crashes for me. Different driver versions and even different bios versions (was suspecting if rebar support broke anything or maybe agesa made something unstable) were still crashing but after I turned HAGS off, restarted PC and I could not get Serious Sam Fusion 2017 on Vulkan or Sekiro with DXVK to crash PC despite doing same scenario multiple times. Forwarded this information to nvidia, hopefully this can be resolved.
    It is kind of weird, since only these two games are cause crashes so far. I played Serious Sam 4 on Vulkan with no issues before and can do so now with HAGS on

11. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Can you capture a dispdiag log file with driver 461.40 installed and email it to me at driverfeedback@nvidia.com?
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3468

12. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    This is not an NVIDIA bug. This will be fixed in via an SBIOS update for your notebook at a later date.

fear029 likes this.
  13. SalamatiQus

GPU:
    4090 Windforce
    Small update. Turning HAGS off actually also fixed some other issues for me. I had weird Gsync behavior with some applications in windowed mode but now it is gone. I am not sure now if it is now Nvidia driver not supporting something or Microsoft pulled some sneaky update (and broke?) on HAGS.

14. judicator

judicator Member

GPU:
    PNY 3090 RTX Revel
    So you turned HAGS off and then back on and no crashes? My HAGS was off on a new PC and while I could play WoW & MW2 for hours, Doom was slowing down to a crawl and hard freezing. After trying many other things, when I turned HAGS 'on' I was able to play for 30min without issue so far *knock on wood*. Before I couldn't last a few minutes, despite temps being quite low. Appears to be a Vulkan related issue for me too. (I'm also running 2 monitors at 144hz, along with a 60hz display which is connected to a receiver, so as someone else mentioned - the having different monitor hz may be related to my issue as well)

15. SalamatiQus

GPU:
    4090 Windforce
    No, I now keep HAGS at "off". What you describe with Doom is something similar to what I had before too and it was related to motherboards specific implementation of "Above 4G decoding" option in combination with UEFI mode. In short having "Above 4G decoding" option turned ON and CSM option in BIOS turned OFF (so it is just pure UEFI) caused huge performance loss for me in Vulkan games. Having "Above 4G decoding" option turned On with CSM enabled too does not reduce performance at all as having those both options off at the same time.

So for now here is what I have:
    Above 4G Decoding -> On
    Resize Bar -> Auto (don't have "on", only "disabled" and "auto")
    CSM -> On
    HAGS -> Off

And all is well for me again, Vulkan does not crash PC, has no performance issues and Gsync is not stuttering anymore with some windowed applications (mpv, as example)

UPD: updated to 465.42 dev driver and has no issues at all with HAGS on

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Ohmer likes this.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    "0x5" is the same (hexadecimal) value as "5" (decimal). In regedit you can see the radiobox switch between hexadecimal and decimal format, but in both cases you do not need to enter "0x" prefix. This prefix is used to simply distinguish between hexadecimal and decimal values in registry (in descriptions, in scripts).

MaBo974, Ohmer and Hemisfear like this.
  17. CYP3ORG

CYP3ORG Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2060
    Sorry, but I'm just curious... What are these MPOs, and why is Nvidia pushing this feature out with newest drivers, when it's clearly plagued with issues?

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_overlay
    PS And it is not plagued with issues. Just there are rigs/configurations with issues.

Ohmer likes this.
  19. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    Another user reporting sound popping with the latest 461.x drivers and hanging in call of duty

1. I've gone back to 460.79 as the last latest 3 are bad for me, I get the sound popping issue too with them.
    2. On this new driver my Cod Warzone hangs for 5 - 10 seconds when joining an online lobby, rolled back to previous and its fine.
    3. me too thought it was just cod playing up again but seems its driver related. I shall be rolling back too.

20. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB